Thread: My new phase

Occupation
    Optometrist

My new phrase

"These aren't computer glasses. They're progressives."

And on this rock I shall build my church.
    Last edited by drk; 12-15-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't get it? why?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Don't you get tired of mature presbyope desktoppers complaining about seeing their two large screens and a hooked up laptop with general purpose PALs?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course, then I speak to them about occupation or computer glasses. Why don't you want to call them computer glasses?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I want to give a throw away line that shocks them into thinking "Oh...these are not supposed to be good for the computer? I guess I'm stupid for thinking so. I'll stop beyotching and buy some computer glasses, now."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, you do you Drk, don't let me stop you. I usually spend quite a bit of time asking them about their specific situation and explain the difference in lens types I can make for them. I don't think 90% of the public even could describe what a progressive lens is. "I got them no lined trifoca Varylexus, and they're real expensive cuz I got the stigmas in 'em too"

Having said that, I have re-read your original post and now understand your intent. I thought you mean you were going to stop calling computer glasses, computer glasses and instead call them progressives. I see now my mistake. But I don't think the layperson will get it with just one line. If they do, I assume the look on their face will give the impression of "why did I pay so much money for glasses that don't work at all at the computer!?!?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Hey, you do you Drk, don't let me stop you. I usually spend quite a bit of time asking them about their specific situation and explain the difference in lens types I can make for them. I don't think 90% of the public even could describe what a progressive lens is. "I got them no lined trifoca Varylexus, and they're real expensive cuz I got the stigmas in 'em too"

Having said that, I have re-read your original post and now understand your intent. I thought you mean you were going to stop calling computer glasses, computer glasses and instead call them progressives. I see now my mistake. But I don't think the layperson will get it with just one line. If they do, I assume the look on their face will give the impression of "why did I pay so much money for glasses that don't work at all at the computer!?!?"
    +1

This is exactly the response I would expect from my customers.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK, this salty genius advice is why I flew it past you guys.

Time for a new, new phrase.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    How about this?

[Me]:"Bob, you need new glasses. We're going to make you a pair of no lined trifoca Varylexus. You'll love them.
    "BTW, do you work on a computer? You do? Then you'll need computer glasses, too. "

[BoB]: "You mean the first pair won't work on the computer?

[Me]: "Nope. Those aren't computer glasses."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    How about this?

[Me]:"Bob, you need new glasses. We're going to make you a pair of no lined trifoca Varylexus. You'll love them.
    "BTW, do you work on a computer? You do? Then you'll need computer glasses, too. "

[BoB]: "You mean the first pair won't work on the computer?

[Me]: "Nope. Those aren't computer glasses."
    [BoB] "why don't my fandangled new Varylexus work on the computer? The last pair I got 8 years ago work great on the computer, I just want to be able to see a little better when I'm driving. So make my new ones exactly like my old ones, but just a little better for driving. Then they will be perfect for everything."

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I definitely get where you are coming from. It is frustrating for everyone that everyday glasses don't always get the job done. Most patients don't have the luxury of multiple pairs and if they do, they tend to get suns (which I'm thankful for!!)

It is imperative that the patient understands the limitations of any multifocal, especially for mid range. It is hard to convince someone to get a good progressive and then also a computer lens. Having to switch back and forth when you are willing to pay for the good stuff must be frustrating. Most of us understand that it is a privilege to have the abundance of pairs that we do.

That being said, I like the original sass and will utilize it when appropriate.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    [BoB] "why don't my fandangled new Varylexus work on the computer? The last pair I got 8 years ago work great on the computer, I just want to be able to see a little better when I'm driving. So make my new ones exactly like my old ones, but just a little better for driving. Then they will be perfect for everything."
    That's so realistic it gives me the creeps.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many pairs of shoes do you own?
    Right, you don't wear dress shoes to mow the lawn.
    You don't wear work boots to play golf or basketball.

Why do you think one pair of glasses will be perfect for everything?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My phrase is... these are progressives. You have a little bit of everything, but not a lot of anything. You will always see better with a pair of glasses made for the task you're going to do. Distance glasses for tv, computer glasses for computer, near glasses for reading. Most people don't have multiple pairs. For most people, one pair of progressives work just fine. However if you are the type of person that does a task for a long period of time, you will need task specific glasses. If you don't need them, you don't need them...but if you need them, you will LOVE them!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    How many pairs of shoes do you own?
    Right, you don't wear dress shoes to mow the lawn.
    You don't wear work boots to play golf or basketball.

Why do you think one pair of glasses will be perfect for everything?
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best line I ever came up with for multi-pair sales;

” Progressive lenses are the Swiss Army knife of lenses. But I wouldn’t use the screwdriver on one to build a house. I’d get a power tool, the right tool to do the right job.”

( I do have a copyright on that phrase. If you use it, I expect a royalty check....)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Patients do not need glasses for the computer.

They can just increase the font size and save some money.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    mervinek, I hope you consider theft as the ultimate form of flattery because I'm stealing that.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    Patients do not need glasses for the computer.

They can just increase the font size and save some money.
    I took my -9.00 glasses off and could almost​ read it. Nice work! My life is forever changed.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell my clients eyeglasses are tools. Then I continue, telling to consider the case of a carpenter: a carpenter might be able to do an awful lot with just a hammer, but you wouldn't expect fine workmanship if he were to hack apart pieces of wood with the hammer. No, you would expect him to use different tool -- a saw would be the appropriate tool for the job. A skilled craftsman would likely have many specialized tools, including a number of different saws. Computer glasses, then, can be thought of as the appropriate tool for extended computer use.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oi, just no. Everyone wants to get out of your office with spending the least amount of money to purchase a magic wand. Strong RX's are more serious than emmetropes. You are going to have a lot of both. Be judicious. Present task-specific glasses for what they are. If they decline - God bless. If they buy in - you can fix a need. Honesty always. It's what separates you from zenni.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    "These aren't computer glasses. They're progressives."

And on this rock I shall build my church.
    You could just amble down to the valley below and and join the existing parish of the "regressives".

Sunday service @6:00 pm....(we sleep in).
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information