Thread: Cleaning up the optical

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cleaning up the optical

I have two opticals that are in desperate need of an overhaul when it comes to frame inventory. For years the method of frame select has been to let the reps loose. They come in, schmooze the techs and, inevitably, the frames that we end up with are ones that look good on the tech. I can go to our board and pull down 7 frames that look exactly the same with 3 different price points. There is no real rhyme or reason to it beyond "Women's" and "Men's" "Plastic and Metal" We have done an overhaul of staff and the managers that were letting it happen are gone and the owners (My wife and I) have decided to take things in hand. Problem is that I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I am thinking we need to break up the inventory by 60%-40% Women-Men but I am also wanting other points of info to work from for tracking purposes. My goal is so that an optical tech can look at the Rx, look at the pt. and be able to pull 3 frames off the board that they know are going to function and fit properly. 1 frame that is conservative, 1 that is middle of the road and 1 that is funky fun. I want to be able to put every frame we have into a tracking category and assign groups to different reps. "Give me your top selling 10 frames that would fit into the men's, oversized, conservative, 18-40 range". That sort of thing. Am I making too much work and overcomplicating this? Do you have any suggestions as to what categories I should be looking at? Any help at all with this would be appreciated as it feels overwhelming but we absolutely have to clean up this mess we have let run for so long.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dalharmil; 12-02-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Thread Information