Thread: Pain points- stock lenses

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pain points- stock lenses

Hello,

What are some pain points you experience when ordering stock lenses?

1. ItÂ’s frustrating when you place an order and the lenses are not in stock but you are not informed of the delay or lenses not being available.

2. Blank size for plus powers are mostly 65

3. If you receive an incorrect power, could have been a mistake by the person who ordered the lens or the shipper but you end up keeping the lens because you donÂ’t want to pay shipping :(

4. People still using fax or phone orders rather than a website

There are a few more that IÂ’m probably missing but these are it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try asking if they are in stock and have the order taker read back what you ordered.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends where you order stock, the bigger suppliers like ABBConcise, Nassau, and Lenstock give you live inventory (Plexus does not) and website ordering. Yeah 65mm blank causes problems sometimes, but in general the better lens thickness from the small blank is worth it. It would be nice if they made decentered blanks, that could alleviate the issue. Set up a once a month or quarterly complimentary return shipping with you vendor, then is you have defects, misorders, or warranty returns just save them up and ship once a month or quarterly at their cost. My vendors have been ok with that. Shoot my ABBConcise rep even came in himself quarterly to gather up my stock lens (and contact) returns and ship them back himself. He was especially great, the new reps don't do that, but we still get the free shipping deals.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Depends where you order stock, the bigger suppliers like ABBConcise, Nassau, and Lenstock give you live inventory (Plexus does not) and website ordering. Yeah 65mm blank causes problems sometimes, but in general the better lens thickness from the small blank is worth it. It would be nice if they made decentered blanks, that could alleviate the issue. Set up a once a month or quarterly complimentary return shipping with you vendor, then is you have defects, misorders, or warranty returns just save them up and ship once a month or quarterly at their cost. My vendors have been ok with that. Shoot my ABBConcise rep even came in himself quarterly to gather up my stock lens (and contact) returns and ship them back himself. He was especially great, the new reps don't do that, but we still get the free shipping deals.
    Pre Decentered blanks hub? Those sir, are called grinders. You can't 'Pre Decenter'... Decentering is custom for size, pd, axis, etc... Wow.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    great points, especially with the complimentary returns as long as their is no abuse, is there a limit to returns? What do you do if lenses are not in stock, do the vendors provide you a free upgrade to the next available index?

Also vendors who charge a premium would be able to do this but those are working with lower margins will not be able to do it.
    Last edited by Opticia_n; 12-01-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Try asking if they are in stock and have the order taker read back what you ordered.
    This is a good practice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    When I order a frame for someone, I always ask if it's in stock. It's always a good idea.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Pre Decentered blanks hub? Those sir, are called grinders. You can't 'Pre Decenter'... Decentering is custom for size, pd, axis, etc... Wow.
    Seems obvious .Optical 101. We get calls wanting SV polar lens with cylinder powers. DAH!

Thread Information