Thread: Adjusting nosepad to nose structure

Adjusting nosepad to nose structure

Hello i understand its old subject, but it always good to review

The case: You have mark on the OD/OS side of the bridge of the nose from the nosepads.

My way of fixing the problem:
    I say to customer, to bend his head little bit , in order to evaluate if the nosepads contour/ touch the bridge or sides of the nose, if the apex or base of nosepad is cutting into the skin.

Then I adjust the nosepad by the structure of customer' nose.

Professor method:
    If you have a mark on the right side of the nose from nosepads.
    You either make it loose or tight on the edge of temple end(part which is covered by plastic).

My Q: Which method the most useful and correct.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    My experience tells me it can be from either of the situations you describe so I check the overall fit of the glasses. (sometimes it's the CAUSE & sometimes it's the SYMPTOM)

HTH

Karen

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: Adjusting nosepad to nose structure

OdTech said:
    Hello i understand its old subject, but it always good to review

The case: You have mark on the OD/OS side of the bridge of the nose from the nosepads.

My way of fixing the problem:
    I say to customer, to bend his head little bit , in order to evaluate if the nosepads contour/ touch the bridge or sides of the nose, if the apex or base of nosepad is cutting into the skin.

Then I adjust the nosepad by the structure of customer' nose.

Professor method:
    If you have a mark on the right side of the nose from nosepads.
    You either make it loose or tight on the edge of temple end(part which is covered by plastic).

My Q: Which method the most useful and correct.

Both methods a correct because they are not the same problem. If one temple is pushing the frame to one side you will have to adjust the temple in or out.

If the nosepad or its arm has been bent you will have to place it back to its original position. Usually you can see the pressure marks on the skin.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's say the client is experiencing discomfort, redness, or pressure on the right side of the nose and the left side is ok. There are three things to look for that may cause this problem.

1. The pad surface must be flush against the nose. Make sure the pad is slightly loose so that it rocks in the mount.

2. The splay (temple angle in or out) must be equal on both temples. If the right temple is bent out further than the left temple, or if the left temple is bent in more than the right there will be increased pressure on the right side of the nose. The left ear will also have increased presure and the right vertex distance will increase.

3. The glasses must be level. This may require unequal vertical OC heights in some instances.

Robert

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb splay angle

Robert, this is one time i am going to respectfully disagree with you on this one point.
    .....seldom if ever ,due to the assemetry of the human face, and the natural curve to the left of the human body, do we find it perfect, where we can and should dispense glasses with every angle the same.
    .....if you look at faces, it is quite common to see the patients right side of the face slightly more convex, dictating moving the temple out some more, and to see the patients left side slightly more concave, dictating moving the temple in a little more. This can be seen especially in males.
    ......This is why i like the curved temples featured on a lot of the newer frames today, as they seldom touch before they get to the ear it self, however they will show the space difference a little bit more.
    ......What i like to do is take each temple and slightly curve them to custom form to each side of the face, i,m talking about regular temples now. When you do this the patient while wearing them will notice no difference from one side to the other.
    ......If the patient says something about the difference they notice when they take them off, simply explain in a professional manner why you have done this.

I checked the replies and i will agree with all of you. THANKS VERY MUCH.:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile another take

All good answers, but here`s another cause of pressure. If the right pad is inducing a blanching or redness of th e skin, the LEFT temple may be too tight, and visi versa. Within the fitting triangle, pressure on the bridge is induced digonally.Lee

All to whom who viewed and replied. BIG THANKS!:D

Another Case:

Sillouate frames that are has very good memory for flexibility. Regardless how you adjust to patients' nose structure and face anotomy you still have to adjust them every day since they get back to its original shape.

Patient: Asian
    Nose Structure: Flat and Near flat

Q: what you Do Here if the previous situation do not relate to it.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know about sillouette frames particularly but I do remember that when we were blessed with optieal (sp?) you could heat it to 250 degrees and change it's shape temporarily or heat it to 300 degrees (at which point it hurt your fingers) and it would hold it's adjustment. Is it possible sillouette is similar?

Chip

Hello Mr. Chip Anderson

I would agree with you for adjusting a sillouette temporarily. No i assume the flexible material isn't similar at all to opteal type.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile silhoutte

Chip and OD tech, i recently wrote an article on this frame, i,m assuming you mean the new SPX material. It is in the march issue of VCPN. I can supply contact info if you need. The other material you are alluding to is OPTYL, which has been around since at least the mid 70,s,regards

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Od Tech,
    I personally don't think the Silhoutte Minimal Art or Minimal X frames are a very good fit for any patient with a very flat nose. The guard arms on the frames don't have the range of movement of most adjustable pads. A little tip, since you are required to stock a kit when you carry this line, adjust one of the samples, if you can not fit the frame to the patient move onto another 3 piece rimless, such as Kazuo Kawasaki (who is Japanese, go figure).

P.S. In regard to having to adjust the frames every day, I have rarely seen our Silhouette patients back for an adjustment, the only ones have been from a bad mounting.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information