Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Petty Things We Judge Optical Companies For

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 definitely!!!! I hate those odd sized screws. My life would be so much easier if we could all just use a standard 1.4 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    I'd like to present one of the worst spring hinge temple designs ever by ray ban. There are so many things wrong with this. First it screws in from the bottom, making the screws fall out if they become loose. Second, they use a weird screw diameter like a 1.2. Third, they decided to cover the exiting side with a piece of plastic so you cannot trim the excess or use a snap-it screw. Whoever designed this has clearly never worked in an optical.

Attachment 14810

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OOOO I have one...why do they have different frame tag sticker formats? One frame will be perfect then the next one will have the upc in the middle of the frame name and the size below???? Same manufacturer!!!! Can't they just all be the same?????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. The amount of static cling Aspex uses for their clip-ons, literally 6 pieces, 2 temple covers, and a baggie. Absolute insanity
    2. Tiny invoices from Luxottica, I don't need my invoices in extra thick, but extra tiny format, thank you.
    3. The loose leaf novel of pages that Kering sends, even for a single frame. It's like a CVS receipt, but as 18 pieces of 8x11.
    4. The numbers on Sihouette's. Which is the shape? the model? the colour? 10 years and I still have no clue.
    5. False front back mounts. Whoever invented these wants to see every nominally thick lens with a chip taken out of it.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    2. Tiny invoices from Luxottica, I don't need my invoices in extra thick, but extra tiny format, thank you.

4. The numbers on Sihouette's. Which is the shape? the model? the colour? 10 years and I still have no clue.
    too true

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    At least Silhouette is shifting to letters for their shape codes. Their color codes are, if anything, getting more confusing.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    How about the 2pt font of white on gold on Ray Bans temples? At that point, why bother?

Also, I about lost it on the rep a few years back when they switched from the standard flared temple tips to the super thin, straight tips. Talk about stabbing yourself every time you try one on.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    Can't believe no one yet mentioned the infamous "Luxottica dust" that all of their frames arrive inundated with! Or how 9 out of 10 frames arrive from MOST manufacturers terribly out of standard alignment??????????
    Because they’re bad of terrible quality materials. That’s why.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    How about the 2pt font of white on gold on Ray Bans temples? At that point, why bother?
    This didn't use to bother me, but now I'm presbyopic and wearing multifocal CL due to N95 mask. I can't even see screws without a reader! Reading the font on the frames is a joke!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    Beyond annoying. Whenever I have to send Silhouette orders to the lab, I just start listing every number I see because I have no clue which is what. At least Saf/Lux's asinine color codes are clearly not the frame name, because they helpfully will put RB or L or whatever before the frame style

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Silhouette is annoying in many ways, as mentioned their numbering system is horrendous. What about the fact that you have to buy 8 frames of a particular collection, And you can't order one of their frames unless you have purchased the entire collection! Pretty weak in my opinion! How about having to replace about half of them as defective! After all of these years making rimless frames they still haven't figured it out. They charge a premium for inferior product.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So maybe its just me, but not being able to right click on Luxottica's website is so annoying. Sure I can use keyboard shortcuts, but still.

Thread Information