Thread: Drill Mount Tips

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Drill Mount Tips

The drill assembly in my huvitz 7000 excelon xd edger will not tilt and I was told I need to replace the whole assembly which is very pricey. I do have a smart drill but have never had to use it for drill mounts only for screw extractions. I have been practicing but can sure use any tips/tricks particularly with Silhouette frames. Thanks in advance for any help!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmj View Post
    The drill assembly in my huvitz 7000 excelon xd edger will not tilt and I was told I need to replace the whole assembly which is very pricey. I do have a smart drill but have never had to use it for drill mounts only for screw extractions. I have been practicing but can sure use any tips/tricks particularly with Silhouette frames. Thanks in advance for any help!!
    One way to get rid of the outward angle of the temples especially on high minus lenses is to firmly hold the bushings in place while adjusting the temple inward. There are specific tools made by Silhouette for this adjustment.
    Good luck!

Jonah

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Using the SmartDrill;

1. You’ll want to move the lenses to the drill’s clamps fairly quickly from the edger when edging super-hydro coated lenses to avoid de-blocking ( once de-blocked, it will be difficult to re-block accurately).

2. Right before clamping the lens on the drill, Mark the lenses at the height you want nasal/temporal holes.

3. Adjust the base curve on the drill to match the lenses BC. When drilling temporally, your lens will be tilted down at the nasal, drilling nasally, the nasal side will be tilted up.

4. Using a 1.4mm bit, you’ll use the levers to move the lens to the position of your drill holes height.

5. CAREFULLY! Move the lens towards the drill bit till it touches the edge of your lens at your mark. ( note moving too quickly or too far will break your bit!)

6. From that position, use the dial to move the lens 2.7mm in, ( Sil. type frames’ drill holes are 2 and 5mm’s from the edge. You move the lens 2.7mm in to account for the bits diameter, 1.4 bit / 2 = .7 + 2mm in. )

7. After the 1st hole, dial 3mm more in for the 2nd hole.

8. Tilt the lens for BC to do the other side, using the same procedure to drill ( same 2.7mm in, then another 3mm).

Note: Depending on your block style, you can get “play” in the SmatDrill’s chuck. (AIT type blocks can wiggle 2-3 degrees off axis). Run a pair of test lenses with a line drawn along the 180, drill as above then mount them to make sure it drill both on axis. I had a drill that I had to twist R lens a little while chucking to get perfect alignment.

Good luck!

Thread Information