This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTC Contact Lens Rule Change?

I do not understand the FTC's new decision on Contact prescriptions, If any.

Is anyone familiar with what is going on and can explain it to me?

I received this from J & J.

Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

What do you find confusing?

Comment

So if Hubble is not out of business in 3-6 months this regulation is not being enforced. Since no one actually fits this lens and they are not allowed to change our prescriptions, how can they survive? Only by lack on enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
        So if Hubble is not out of business in 3-6 months this regulation is not being enforced. Since no one actually fits this lens and they are not allowed to change our prescriptions, how can they survive? Only by lack on enforcement.
        Amen. We always provide the patient with any and all RXs they get during an exam. Are there really places that don't?

Hubble can jump in a lake.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the old contact lens rule didn't allow alterations or substitutions either. With the same exception that exists in the new law.

Comment

Originally posted by Lelarep View Post
            What do you find confusing?
            I was not familiar with the original rule, so I was just wondering how this one changed things.
            Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Comment

Doctors are being required to keep patients signatures on file (3yrs) ensuring they received their cl rx's. With most offices EMR, this is just a pain. Physically signing paper, really!!!
              Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Comment

Originally posted by rbanting69 View Post
                Doctors are being required to keep patients signatures on file (3yrs) ensuring they received their cl rx's. With most offices EMR, this is just a pain. Physically signing paper, really!!!
                Karma for withholding CL specs improperly.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
                  There was already law and punishments in place for withholding CL Rx's. Why would the minority of doctors who are dumb enough to already break the law, change their minds because of the rule change? It's not protecting consumers anymore now than it was before. It's a bunch of unnecessary bureaucracy, and waste for compliant doctors. What is the FTC going to do, create a department of Contact lens inspectors who go around to every practice and spot check their paper work? They could call it C.L.E.A.R., the Contact Lens Examinations And Records department.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
                    I must be out of the loop....What is Hubble???

Comment

Originally posted by Kwill212 View Post
                      There was already law and punishments in place for withholding CL Rx's. Why would the minority of doctors who are dumb enough to already break the law, change their minds because of the rule change? It's not protecting consumers anymore now than it was before. It's a bunch of unnecessary bureaucracy, and waste for compliant doctors. What is the FTC going to do, create a department of Contact lens inspectors who go around to every practice and spot check their paper work? They could call it C.L.E.A.R., the Contact Lens Examinations And Records department.

That's a good point, who is going to be checking to make sure ECPs are doing this? More rules and regulations with seemingly no way of enforcing it, sounds like something the government would do.

I'd join C.L.E.A.R. though, "The few, the proud, the contact lens examination records department!"

Or maybe, "Be all that you can see, C.L.E.A.R!"

Maybe they'd call it Contact lens Force, make it a branch of Space Force.

Comment

We process the same way as ABN's in EMR and in our optical services software by signing and then scanning into images or e-doc's and then give to the patient. When necessary it can be printed as a PDF.
                        Bev Heishman, ABOM, NCLC-AC

Comment

"JJV urged FTC to ban robocalls, andif not, add more requirements tohow these calls must be madeNote: JJV continues its advocacyefforts on H.R. 3975 which wouldprohibit sellers from usingrobocalls to verify CL Rx.Requires automated callsto be clear &comprehensible, optionto repeat, provide ‘papertrail’ by maintaining callon file for 3 years✓ Sellers must record entire call and preserve complete recording✓ Start call by identifying it is a prescription verification request inaccordance with CL Rule✓ Deliver message in slow deliberate manner and at volumeprescriber can understand✓ Make message repeatable at the prescriber’s option✓ Must maintain recording on file for 3 years."

The slow deliberate manner could be maddening if you have clients in front of you while you're receiving such a call. Go to hell, Brad Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by Morethnu2 View Post
                            I must be out of the loop....What is Hubble???
                            Hubble is an online contact lens seller, known for two things: crazy advertisements about their cheap contacts (IE: a bowl of milk filled with contact lenses), and more importantly that they only sell Methafilcon A contacts. So when a patient orders from them, they swap out whatever has been prescribed to the patient to their brand. Which is, from all understanding, wrong and illegal.

If the new FTC rule has any teeth, Hubble and their like should be fined and out of business if they continue, but this hasn't stopped them or other online sellers prior to this change. I don't see them stopping soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
                              Bull****, Barry, bull****.

This is completely driven by online retailers. All the "withholdling CLs specs" (they're prescriptions, not "specs" Mr. Part-of-the-problem) is just a facade; a narrative; a fake story to blow up the system.

You're anti-optometry and anti-patient health, and you think you know much more than you really do. You and Hubble are cut from the same greedy pirate cloth.

Buugger off.

Comment

Working...
                              X