OK, as an OD 99% of my optical work is seamless integrated with my optometric care (yea, it's indivisible, but that's another thread).

But I'm not stupid...if I get an outside Rx, I'll fill it. But filler beware! (caveat filleror)

Case in point:

Customer:
"Hey, I have been referred to your optical because I hear you filled an Rx for my friend. This is my Rx from my OD. I want to get <brand V> progressives and a new frame. (self-pay) But here's the deal: I have been prescribed a 'special tint' by a therapist (not her OD) and I want to send these glasses to her. You will have to sign a paper that says these lenses are tintable."

Me:
"What the hell. (Let's make money)"

So we fill the boring Rx in the requested PAL in CR39, and properly dispense them, and wish her well. I'm counting the money.

Five days later:
Customer:
"My glasses were ruined in the tinting process. I will need you to make new lenses for me."

Us:
"Uh, we would like to talk to the tint therapy person."

What happens: my optician gets in contact (somehow) with the tinting people (not the therapist, mind you, who we have not heard from, yet). Tinting guy says "yeah, sometimes you get a bad batch of lenses and the tinting turned out splotchy. Don't worry, <mega lens-manufacturer> will be happy to cover this under their warranty."

Well, we didn't order blanks from the manufacturer, of course. We used a wholesale lab, who, when we were honest about the situation, said: "Uh, if some outside agency tints our lenses, the warranty is null and void".

So, what would you do?
In a greater sense, as an indy optician, how to you manage such risk?