Thread: Computer PAL

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Computer PAL

What computer PAL do you typically recommend?

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have had the most consistent success with the Essilor Computer Lens. The unity Via OfficePro is doing well for me, too.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have used the Shamir and Unity lenses without any problems.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I have had the most consistent success with the Essilor Computer Lens. The unity Via OfficePro is doing well for me, too.
    How do you fit the Essilor Computer Lens?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Optician View Post
    How do you fit the Essilor Computer Lens?
    You fit it with distance PD and standard PAL seg height. The centration chart is weird; do not mark it up like a standard 4 drop progressive, as the OC is also offset horizontally. The lens also requires a minimum 15mm between the OC and the top of lens to keep the "room view" distance RX sliver, but that's more of a bonus feature than a requirement. The lens works without it, just make sure the patient knows that they're losing it by choosing a frame with too low a B measurement. The biggest problem I have with the lens is that it's only available in poly, so higher RX patients are out of luck.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have used the Shamir and Unity lenses without any problems.
    I don't work with VSP and the line of UNITY© products, but I second the Shamir lenses. Shamir's Computer or Workspace are my go-to near variable focus option, and I also do a little with Hoya's iD Space/Screen/Zoom lenses (the Zoom works well for a dedicated laptop user or for a close working distance). If you work with a lab that offers IOT lenses, their office lenses (they can be ordered with focal lengths up to 4, 6.5, 13 or 19.5 feet) have also worked really well for me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How does Shamir Workspace compare to Shamir Auto Office ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shamir's Computer and Workspace designs have different focal lengths. Per Shamir, the Computer design is a compensated design with a focal distance up to 5 feet, better for patients that live in front of the computer. The Workspace design is compensated for up to a 10-foot working distance, better for patients that need to look up at clients entering an office, etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is strictly a computer PAL and the patient doesn't need to see beyond the screen for anything, I always make them from a standard PAL with Rx adjustments. Usually reduce the add by half and add it to the distance Rx. This can be changed by a .25 for closer or further screen distance. This give them full width of the lens for screen(especially useful for multiple monitors), and still gives them full near for pickup up papers or phones/tablets. These type of lenses are for people who spend the major part of their work day in front of a screen, maybe in a cubicle, and don't need to get up frequently.

If you have someone who is a heavy computer user, but also needs to get up frequently for meetings or needs to see across the room, then you want a degressive designed "office" lens. Built with the correct amount of degression for their needs. Throw a dart at the board and pick your preferred brand. I prefer IOT lenses myself.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used Shamir Office and Computer, but not Workspace. What is the real difference between WORKSPACE and OFFICE ?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You fit it with distance PD and standard PAL seg height. The centration chart is weird; do not mark it up like a standard 4 drop progressive, as the OC is also offset horizontally. The lens also requires a minimum 15mm between the OC and the top of lens to keep the "room view" distance RX sliver, but that's more of a bonus feature than a requirement. The lens works without it, just make sure the patient knows that they're losing it by choosing a frame with too low a B measurement. The biggest problem I have with the lens is that it's only available in poly, so higher RX patients are out of luck.
    Thanks!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lens also requires a minimum 15mm between the OC and the top of edged lens to keep the "room view" distance RX sliver, but that's more of a bonus feature than a requirement. The lens works without it, just make sure the patient knows that they're losing it by choosing a frame with too low a B measurement.
    To be clear- leave 15mm to the top of the edged lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for your tips))

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya Workstyle Zoom and Screen are fantastic. I've also used Hoya Sync 3 0.57 with great results for those people whose computer screen is very high up and close.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use the Nikon Online wide Neo as well as the Home and office Neo. they are fantastic.
    Also, we use the persona office 1 meter all the way to +4 meter....very good as well. For safety jobs we are using the digitime room for those clients that want near and mid excellence with the ability to walk around in them. Way better than a general progressive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I have used Shamir Office and Computer, but not Workspace. What is the real difference between WORKSPACE and OFFICE ?
    Workspace has a little less add power at the MRP, and especially less above the fitting cross. Enables wearers to see more functionally up to 15' if looking out of the upper portion of the lens, good for people who work in an office environment but are up and about as well as sitting in front of a computer. The Computer lens is full intermediate power designed for 3-4' optimal with functional out to 6', designed for those who stay put in front of their screen all day.

The Office lens is an earlier product which I believe is functionally identical to the Computer.

Thread Information