Thread: Varilux replacements

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux replacements

We have already moved most patients out of Varilux and generally do as well or better with Seiko, Shamir, Hoya, IOT, or Zeiss depending on the situation. We all know, however, there are just some people who can not be happy unless they are in a Comfort or a Physio. We also know that hyperopes sometimes don't do as well with a digital lens due to lack of lens steepness. So, now that they have begun phasing out grinder (non-digital) Physio, I imagine Comfort can't be too far behind. What are the safest (read: no complaints to us or headaches for us) old school grinders to use for these Physio wearers and Comfort wearers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    We have already moved most patients out of Varilux and generally do as well or better with Seiko, Shamir, Hoya, IOT, or Zeiss depending on the situation. We all know, however, there are just some people who can not be happy unless they are in a Comfort or a Physio. We also know that hyperopes sometimes don't do as well with a digital lens due to lack of lens steepness. So, now that they have begun phasing out grinder (non-digital) Physio, I imagine Comfort can't be too far behind. What are the safest (read: no complaints to us or headaches for us) old school grinders to use for these Physio wearers and Comfort wearers?
    By grinders you mean conventional PALs with the "add" on the front surface....? For me the worst part of the situation is the much higher base curves required on "full backside" progressives, which is what most lenses are today. These newer and "better" lenses offer higher curves, increased thickness, magnification for the higher plus, higher add Rxs compared to the bad old grinders. Let's be clear - the newer "better" lenses are better for the manufacturer's profits more than anything else.
    Rant over.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hoya ID tech in theory solves your problem. As for people who can't wear other brands, that's just your imagination.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't think the Comfort is going anywhere.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Hoya ID tech in theory solves your problem. As for people who can't wear other brands, that's just your imagination.
    Do you mean it's their imagination?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For a Comfort replacement, try an IOT Alpha Mobile 17 or H45 16/17. For a Physio replacement, try the IOT Alpha H65 17.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On a related note, has anyone had any experience in dispensing or wearing the Varilux Comfort Max©? A rep from a lab I work with gave a middling-to-slightly positive review, though she said the jury is still out on it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vision Ease Novel and Novella are the two best reasonably priced grinders in my experience and I have had success moving varilux patients into them. I also will use the Shoreview sometimes for budget lenses where I feel like my "budget" FBS progressive will have to be cut on a 10 base lens or something. We are like 99% free form back side designs now days, only budget minded extreme hyperopes don't work well in my backside budget tier lens (cosmetically, visionwise they are successful).

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    For me the worst part of the situation is the much higher base curves required on "full backside" progressives, which is what most lenses are today. These newer and "better" lenses offer higher curves, increased thickness, magnification for the higher plus, higher add Rxs compared to the bad old grinders.
    Younger's variable base curve blank addresses most of our concerns with moderate/high plus in conjunction with moderate/high adds.

http://camberlens.com

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information