Thread: Memory Metal bridge

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Memory Metal bridge

Hey, I've got a memory metal bridge on a pair of glasses that while at the lab developed a notable "V" to the lenses (it's an Aspex clip-on, so I've got a good handle on where it's SUPPOSED to be angled). To adjust that back into form, is heating/cooling the way to reset it, or should I just take my chances w/ some pliers?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a few photos as dead-on as I can manage of the disparity between where it IS vs where it SHOULD be
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1601474372611.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	14783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1601474372493.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	14784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1601474372556.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	14782

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would use nylon plyers, grab the bridge right at the frame, not the flex part, and adjust them slowly, do that to both sides until even with the clip on.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is hard to say from a picture, but are the lenses grossly off axis?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    It is hard to say from a picture, but are the lenses grossly off axis?
    Looks like that. Sometimes with a memory metal frame a tracer can give you incorrect tracings. You have to make sure that the bridge does not bend!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Looks like that. Sometimes with a memory metal frame a tracer can give you incorrect tracings. You have to make sure that the bridge does not bend!
    Well yes, but my point was if the lenses were cut off axis, then the frame was bent to fix that, realigning the frame isn't going to the only thing that needs to be fixed.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lenses followed the V angle. Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, just a couple hours after I posted this, the patient called, ****** as hell and wanting to pick up his glasses come hell or high water. So unfortunately my hand was forced into an attempted dispense. Pt seemed ok with it, did not make any complaints at dispense regarding them. I'm hoping the tension of his nose/ears force the frame closer to a neutral angle (or the pt just adapts to them) :\

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I think so.... they have bad traced the frame then they crappy bend the bridge...

For memory metal I use only demo lenses for trace.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Well yes, but my point was if the lenses were cut off axis, then the frame was bent to fix that, realigning the frame isn't going to the only thing that needs to be fixed.
    This is so far in the "unnacceptable" category of lens finishing it is making my stomach hurt thinking about it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lenses followed the V angle. Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, just a couple hours after I posted this, the patient called, ****** as hell and wanting to pick up his glasses come hell or high water. So unfortunately my hand was forced into an attempted dispense. Pt seemed ok with it, did not make any complaints at dispense regarding them. I'm hoping the tension of his nose/ears force the frame closer to a neutral angle (or the pt just adapts to them) :\

Not sure what your office policies are, but I would redo the complete job, call him up and simply tell him "I didn't like the way your frames and lens turned out originally so I had the lab redo them, please, at your convenience, come in to let me exchange your glasses"
    This speaks volumes to the consumer and you will not lose anymore sleep over it.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When this has happened to me I heat just the titanium bridge piece, flex it back to level and then while holding it in shape run it under cold water. Seems to fix it.

I'm real old school and use a bead pan, which I mound, so I'm not sure how this would work with a hot air blower. I assume it would not matter if the eyewire were hot other than burning fingers.

Any newbie that wants to try this be sure you do it with AR lenses removed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    This is so far in the "unnacceptable" category of lens finishing it is making my stomach hurt thinking about it.
    Me too. But that's the way of the industry these days, especially when outsourcing finishing work to wholesale labs. Push it through and see if someone complains, if anyone even checked it before sending it out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Hey, I've got a memory metal bridge on a pair of glasses that while at the lab developed a notable "V" to the lenses (it's an Aspex clip-on, so I've got a good handle on where it's SUPPOSED to be angled). To adjust that back into form, is heating/cooling the way to reset it, or should I just take my chances w/ some pliers?
    Not sure what your office policies are, but I would redo the complete job, call him up and simply tell him "I didn't like the way your frames and lens turned out originally so I had the lab redo them, please, at your convenience, come in to let me exchange your glasses"
    This speaks volumes to the consumer and you will not lose anymore sleep over it.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, he came in a few days after to pick up a set of warranty lenses. He said he was really happy with the new pair, just wished they had come in sooner. It was at that point I decided not to poke the bear. Thanks for all the insight and replies, everyone

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I love my new glasses---why do you ask?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	it's just a joke--lighten up!.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	14793

Thread Information