Thread: Definity vs Autograph series...?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Definity vs Autograph series...?

I've got a pt who flies for United, and would like a nice flat dist, with wide intermediate for the panel, not much need for loads of fine print. Definity has of course been my go-to for wide intermediates, but I know the Auto's have a particularly nice distance, but don't know if they have a wide intermediate analogy for her panel use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya's iD Lifestyle series has a very similar design to the Definity, and I have little problems dispensing that to patients. The LifeStyle 3 comes in three designs (Indoor, Urban or Outdoor) and if the patient wants better emphasis for distance, the outdoor design might be a good option. I find that patients that wear the indoor design really like the wide intermediate and near but do say that the distance periphery isn't as sharp. If you want to go with the autograph series, I'd recommend a long-corridor (18mm) autograph intelligence design, as that provides the most room for the intermediate.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh, Uillean...

...https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/us...-by-zeiss.html

What's more, and I would love some input from others, is that the Autograph II-III (at least with a high add and 1.67 material) has a good intermediate indeed but definitely "not flat" distance zone. You may be referring to their Attitude designs, like Attitude Sport https://www.shamirlens.com/products/...ii%C2%AE-sport

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to tell patients that generally speaking we've got a choice of three zones-

Distance
    Intermediate
    Near

Pick the one or two you want because you can't get all three*.

The Auto series I believe emphasizes distance and intermediate at the expense of the near.

I'm also leery of changing designs when there are no complaints but that's just me who gets scolded by the back office when we need to redo.

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here Uilleann.

*Let me find the Hall of Fame thread about Seidel aberrations for those who haven't read it.

Link on Post #26:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...-of-Fame/page2
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-17-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Oh, Uillean...

...https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/us...-by-zeiss.html

What's more, and I would love some input from others, is that the Autograph II-III (at least with a high add and 1.67 material) has a good intermediate indeed but definitely "not flat" distance zone. You may be referring to their Attitude designs, like Attitude Sport https://www.shamirlens.com/products/...ii%C2%AE-sport
    Heya Doc, hows things in your neck of the woods? Hope all is well, and you and yours are staying as safe (and healthy) as possible. Zeiss and I have something of a complicated relationship. Their optics seemed to be decent enough, though never *ever* had a wow moment - either personally, or from a patient. But we did have lots and lots of issues with durability and lab troubles (Portland at the time I think...) Anyway, She's been in a Physio W3, but was hoping for a little more mid. Definity has been, and frankly remains, my typical go to that just works for heavy mid users. It really is a solid lens - just would like to see it advanced a bit as it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I've had some very positive feedback from the Auto lenses, particularly with hyperopes and astigmats. That's why I'd pointed my nose in that direction. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I like to tell patients that generally speaking we've got a choice of three zones-

Distance
    Intermediate
    Near

Pick the one or two you want because you can't get all three*.

The Auto series I believe emphasizes distance and intermediate at the expense of the near.

I'm also leery of changing designs when there are no complaints but that's just me who gets scolded by the back office when we need to redo.

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here Uilleann.

*Let me find the Hall of Fame thread about Seidel aberrations for those who haven't read it.

Link on Post #26:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...-of-Fame/page2
    Brilliant link Fester! I don't remember seeing it before - thank you! And yes, I'm certainly the one in the office most averse to remakes. I like to try and do as much research, and design work on the front end, hopefully having as many of my ducks in a row before I click that send button as I can. Thanks again for the link!

Brian

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IOT Drive2

Thread Information