Thread: Opinion of current state of REVO sunglasses

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Opinion of current state of REVO sunglasses

Can anyone give me their opinion on the current quality of REVO sun glass frames and lenses. A search here did not show anything past 2016.

Thanks

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Doesn't Clearvision have it?

I think they looked good, but if you don't sell plano...

What exactly are you looking for them to do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a brand, they are nothing - let me say that again N-O-T-H-I-N-G even remotely resembling what they once were. Lux saw to that well. No amazing glass, none of the advanced multicoatings in the way they used to be done, none of the world class (and world famous) clarity they built the name on. It's. All. Gone.

The *only* thing that's remained more or less in tact, is the style of the logo I believe. Apart from that, save your shekels. (and I otherwise quite like Clearvision)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    They are ok and that's about it. Definitely not bad.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks all.

What am I trying to do? Find some good looking suns that don't cost too much, have some name recognition, are rxable, and not owned by Lux.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We carried Costa forever until they sold out to Essilor in 2012. We sold all of our remaining stock of Costa on eBay immediately when that happened. Costa quality had been noticeably going down in the year or two prior to the sale anyway. So the search was on to find a new sunglass line. Turns out that was harder than I though. A rep I knew said REVO was coming back out from under LUX and I should took a look. I opened a new REVO account at VEE 2015. I think the first they were available again not with Lux. B.Robinson/Legacie was the manufacturer and distributor that we met with. Things sounded good from them, seemed like it would be made and marketed as a high end product, so we placed an order. There were a lot of glass lenses and 5 barrel hinges in the original frames we ordered. While I am not old enough to have been in the industry during REVO's heyday, my dad was, and he sold tons of them, and lauded their quality. Current REVO is nothing like that. After the first year, maybe 18 months. B.Robinson passed the distribution of optical store accounts off to ClearVision, while keeping the other retail(sporting goods, departments stores, etc) in house. This was annoying. Too many middlemen. I bought REVO thinking it was going to be a high end brand again, now it is with ClearVision? I don't mind ClearVision as a company, they have good customer service, but their products are pretty lackluster.

Currently I still have some REVO stock, but haven't ordered any new frames in a while, and probably won't. Their lenses are nothing special. 95% are poly with the occasional special release getting glass. The metal frames are pretty decent. The plastic frames are mold injected just like most everything else. Some of their mold injected frames have better hinges. 5 barrel on a few, big beefy internal(maybe Redtenbacher) spring hinges, and some are cheap plastic hinges with a screw right through the plastic. So quality is all over the place. Clear vision also doesn't have all the frames REVO makes. There are some available on the REVO website that they don't carry for some reason. They have also turned into a company that only sells this color frame with this color lens sort of thing. As if they don't own a screwdriver. Oh you want the black frame with the brown lens? Sorry it doesn't come that way.

Are they Rxable? Sure. The metals are easy to Rx. But if you are going to do the injected frames in-house you will need an edger with a good step bevel feature, or be really, really good on a hand-stone. The back bevel on the injected frames is higher than the front, kind of like a safety frame, and it is just a square or U shaped groove, not an actual V bevel in the frame. Sometimes I shave down the back bevel of the frame with a dremel, makes them much easier to Rx depending on the script. They have their own proprietary Rx program BS like every other sunglass company these days. But like all of them the quality is spotty, turn around is slow, and more importantly(to me anyway) is the Rx range is very limited. I'm not going to have a patient pick out a frame they like, take their measurements, take about how great these lenses are, etc, then go to a chart and have to say, " oh sorry, someone decided your Rx can't go in this frame, let's start over. Not a chance. I know I can glaze the frame with as good or better lenses, and in a much higher range than most sunglass companies allow for. I wish they would stick to frames and leave the lenses to us, but that will never happen because of $$$$$$$.

So it depends on your situation. If all you need a decent sunglass that isn't Lux and you don't mind them doing the Rx work, it's probably fine. But don't expect it to be anything line the old REVO.

For me the search continues. I actually met with the owners of Barberini at VEW 2017 anther rep I knew was in the process of acquiring the distribution rights to North America. We looked at everything then in November I placed an opening order with them. Time goes by and I don't hear anything. I'm not to concerned because who wants a big order to show up right at the end of the year? Then Q1 2018 still havent heard anything. The rep/distributor says they are still getting things geared up for distribution. Which is fine I'll be the first to have it when it comes to the US and I'm not desperate so I keep waiting. Then June 22, 2018 LUXOTTICA announced the purchase of Barberini, what a kick in the nuts. for me and the rep. Seems like they got him to see how much interest in opening accounts there were in the US just to sell out, basically doing market testing for LUX's purchase. Now EssiLux has their dirty little fingers in just about every glass sunglass in the world. Maybe Vuarnet and Serengetti still make their own?

All I really want are good qualily adjustable sunglass frame that have standard ophthalmic mounting methods, grey and brown polarized with backside AR. Guess I'm SOL for now.

tl;dr - REVO is nothing like it was. I doubt it has much of any name recognition to most people under 40. But there isn't much that is any better either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Kwill, you remind me of myself. I had the exact same experience with Revo, just didn't have the time to type it all out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately that seems to be the continued story for most of the sun manufacturers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The revo.com website indicates they sell directly to consumers on line - why would a brick and mortar store want to support that attitude ?

The revo.com website currently says “ Lens replacements and repairs are currently unavailable “. Yet they state a 2 year warranty - why would you want the product if it’s not supportable yet you are likely going to pay full wholesale for your headache ?

In the August 2013 press release announcing the sale of Revo , did it not also mention a long term agreement to supply Sunglasses Hut with Revo? - again why would you want to remain in competition with Lux ? - what’s your competitive advantage ?
    Last edited by idispense; 09-01-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stay posted on Revo!

The head of Clear Vision, which handles the distribution to the O channel, is cooking up a solution!

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The original company that purchased Revo from Lux , didn’t they then sell it off again saying it was not a growth driver , so they divested themselves of it ?

https://wwd.com/business-news/merger...q1-1202670253/

Didn’t someone try a shared profit deal with ecps during Covid with this product ? How did that turn out ?

it would be difficult to understand how someone could revive a brand , If lux had decided to divest it.
    Last edited by idispense; 09-02-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
    Thanks all.

What am I trying to do? Find some good looking suns that don't cost too much, have some name recognition, are rxable, and not owned by Lux.
    Maybe not the name recognition level you're looking for, but my favorite bang-for-the-buck sunglass line ever is Safilo's Polaroid brand.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Europa I.N.V.U. are an ok, less expensive, option. they come polarized and most are RX'able.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    The revo.com website indicates they sell directly to consumers on line - why would a brick and mortar store want to support that attitude ?
    Do you know of any sunglass companies that don't sell direct to consumers? I'm not talking about sunglass from ophthalmic companies, just strictly sunglass companies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Do you know of any sunglass companies that don't sell direct to consumers? I'm not talking about sunglass from ophthalmic companies, just strictly sunglass companies.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just got some info from ClearVision that the Revo will now have a line with glass lenses. This may be what you are referring to? They look quite nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
    Just got some info from ClearVision that the Revo will now have a line with glass lenses. This may be what you are referring to? They look quite nice.
    It sounds like a one-off of 7 styles of frames. The frames are the real concern for me as an optician. It's nice to sell planos with good lenses, but I'm going to Rx 90% of the suns I sell.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I work under the sun regularly so i bought Jackson polarized glasses. I think they're pretty good for $ 20

Thread Information