Thread: Licensed Optician Badge Protocol

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Licensed Optician Badge Protocol

My employer just required me to place my Licensed number on my name tag in addition to my Name and Title. I'm not a fan of openly displaying my Lic# as i think it should be personal as it could be used for malpractice if known by the "public". I only used my Lic# on Insurance Reimbursement documents and DMV examinations and official stuff like that. I work in NYC. My question is: Is it an official requirement of the North East States to have your Lic# on your name tag? I don't see it as a requirement on the NYSED website.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm don't know about NY, but in CT it is fairly easy to look up a personal professional license information in numerous professions. Also in CT it is a requirement that your optician's license be in public display. Doesn't really make much difference if they read it off of a name badge or off the wall. https://www.elicense.ct.gov/Lookup/LicenseLookup.aspx

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Some States may still require a name tag with your License type and number. Check with your licensing board. That being said, do what the boss wants you to do. It ain't no big thing either way.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Massachusetts you must wear a name-tag with license number at all times and apprentices must wear their badge or you, personally, face a $100 fine from the Board of Registration of Dispensing Opticians- Who's site btw was available last year at mass.gov "Professional Licenses" but is not currently. The site was available with a number of requirements and notices but is apparently no longer there. Our license renewal bills are sent on time however.

Since novel covid, our area has not been visited by the inspector, but we have been in the past.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey...it's a badge of honor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    According to NYS:

"New York ophthalmic dispensers must display a current New York registration certificate; this certificate lists the professional's name, address, and dates of the registration period. If the letter "C" precedes the license number on the registration certificate, the ophthalmic dispenser is certified to fit contact lenses. Ophthalmic dispensers must also wear a clearly visible identifying badge that lists their name and professional title."

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/od/odbroch.htm

Given that, what your boss is asking is more than the state requirement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Hey...it's a badge of honor.
    +1

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a new pt. one time say to me, "You have the most beautiful dog." Needless to say I was confused. She was my mail carrier and had read my home address off of my license posted on the wall. A few years later the state stopped including the home address on the licenses. Probably a good decision.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    I had a new pt. one time say to me, "You have the most beautiful dog." Needless to say I was confused. She was my mail carrier and had read my home address off of my license posted on the wall. A few years later the state stopped including the home address on the licenses. Probably a good decision.
    Our Board also modified requirements so that your address could be covered up or now, not even on the tag. This was a real concern of my wife when she worked in a hospital optical that did a lot with medicaid and some patients, who, when off their meds, could be down right frightening.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Our Board also modified requirements so that your address could be covered up or now, not even on the tag. This was a real concern of my wife when she worked in a hospital optical that did a lot with medicaid and some patients, who, when off their meds, could be down right frightening.
    So, that would be most patients then.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    So, that would be most patients then.
    Too many people in this world ain't takin' the right dose of their medications.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Too many people in this world ain't takin' the right dose of their medications.
    Preach It!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Folks do you think that is the only way for folks to find your address? If you don't like what the boss wants you to do, quit and find another job. Many wear numbers that identify them, like police officers badge numbers. It is not a big deal unless you make it one like this thread, and if you are that worried about it maybe its not your patients that need meds!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 08-23-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Having lived in NYC, I can tell you a healthy dose of OpSec and/or paranoia keeps one alive!

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patients totally do not need to know personal aspects of your life, beyond your first name, much less your home address. I've seen some real winners come through, and they can stay far, far away. If you think some creeper wont take advantage of having your address posted on the wall, you are wrong.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    thank you guys for the responses. i really appreciate it!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    very harsh @wmcdonald! remember it's the public we're dealing with and it's ok to not give more than what's required or necessary. anyways, thank you for the response.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Folks do you think that is the only way for folks to find your address? If you don't like what the boss wants you to do, quit and find another job. Many wear numbers that identify them, like police officers badge numbers. It is not a big deal unless you make it one like thread, and if you are that worried about it maybe its not your patients that need meds!
    +1

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Folks do you think that is the only way for folks to find your address? If you don't like what the boss wants you to do, quit and find another job. Many wear numbers that identify them, like police officers badge numbers. It is not a big deal unless you make it one like this thread, and if you are that worried about it maybe its not your patients that need meds!
    True

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find this and other affirmative comments interesting that they come from men.

Had a real problem, eventually involving the police, years ago when a receptionist was harassed by a suspected patient over the phone.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    That makes a good point. This is likely a far more serious issue for women of the profession than men. Something to keep in mind.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe we need a special security force to be sure the top secret professional numbers don't get out! This sounds like I might have underestimated it. Could be a national security issue. Us men.......how could I be so disrespectful regarding women who have fought so hard for equal rights. Years ago? I suspect your receptionist was sitting at the front desk? They could have found a way to call her a lot of ways versus a license number displayed! And if it were a major deal it would be a regular occurrence. Good grief. Maybe we only need to hire big, burly makes as receptionists, and certainly not display a professional license number.

You know, you post some esoteric things, but you are in another dimension per your location. At least is isn't another silly thread about how to measure PDs or fitting heights.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually doctor besides this incident I was also thinking of my very attractive wife when she worked at a hospital where the psychiatric department would send patients to her optical.

The license is not the issue. It's the home address.

The required license on the wall had our home address on it and was a concern when the rare person came in, who was, for lack of a better word, creepy. As men we tend to dismiss these clients as just another personality to deal with, while for a women (and yes- men too!), someone in the office with voices in their head and mumbling to themselves maybe should not be given as easy an access to our personal information as the license on the wall or badge allows. Common sense in our state prevailed when Harry Jilson, I believe, was on our board and they allowed us to cover our home addresses if we wanted.

That said- We do make ourselves vulnerable with social media being what it is and as someone who values his privacy keeps my presence to a minimum accordingly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The OP did not ever mention home address, only the license number the boss required on the tag. Others that followed mentioned it, and I strongly agree with you that personal contact information should never be for public distribution, but that was not a part of the original post. This poster, who thinks I was harsh, was questioning the number requirement on his/her name tag. Why anyone ever had to place their home address on anything is really questionable. But I am glad to hear that has been removed. My point.......a license number, if required, is not the most likely way for some nut to find contact information on anyone. We make the biggest deals out of small things here! Google personal information on anyone and its right there for the taking. Your receptionist was not hidden I suspect, and I bet has a Facebook page. Easy to find, and again if it were a problem it would happen regularly, not once a few years ago. I am sorry, particularly that your wife had an issue, but a license number, like a police offer or firefighters badge numbers are there so they can be reported to their respective agencies. Physicians, ODs. and other providers must also display their licenses with numbers on them as well. I suspect that is why some states require license numbers for Opticians. In NC we place it on the license which must be displayed in public view. It never provides personal contact information. Only in this world would we make such a big deal out of nothing. This individual has a choice. They can find another job, or do as told. Covey mentions this kind of thing in his book, The 8th Habit, and I encourage you to read it.

Thread Information