Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSP's latest white elephant: Anti-Bacterial AR?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I thought I knew what silliness was. Then this product was launched.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The truth is, it's just another AR that they have come out with. It looks like the anti bacterial is just the name they give it so it will sell. It's the same thing when I go to the store and see that the pork I'm looking at is gluten free. Just a sales tactic. This is from their website ..."In addition to being anti-bacterial, they offer additional benefits of improved smudge resistance, scratch resistance, and cleanability" and "first-ever anti-reflective coatings for ophthalmic lenses in the United States that include anti-bacterial technology".... Apparently being anti-bacterial is a technology?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You don’t get ISO certification or a patent for a non existent process. Ask the largest optical companies if they have comparable product and they will tell you No. This is their exclusive product and no else will have it unless they find a way around the patent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Why would any other optical company be interested in this nonsense? They want to get in on the ripoff game as well?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dawn breaks over Marblehead!

Cleaned out the VSP file just now and forget about this recently filed notice.

I think this is why VSP proprietary anti-bacterial is coming. Beginning September 1.

Per Eyefinity on-line:

The preferred brands for AR coatings will be differentiated based on ISO-certified anti-bacterial technology, currently TechShield AR Coatings

All other brands of AR coatings and VSP Optics brands that do not have the anti-bacterial technology will be in the non-preferred category and receive reduced doctor service fees.

Preferred brands for progressive and digital singe vision digital (includes anti-fatigue) lenses include Unity, Zeiss, Maui Jim, and Hoya; non-preferred brands include all other manufactures at the reduced doctor service fee.

Make replies to this on the new separate thread I've started.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-14-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The virus reaches your eye via droplets in the air. They either reach your eye or they don't. If they flow around the lenses, no treatment makes any difference. If they splat on the lens surface, they aren't going to reach your eye whether the lenses are glass, plastic, coated, uncoated. If your lenses are made of swiss cheese, then you are at risk, but all the other lens materials are not porous enough to allow through-passage to even virus-sized particles.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    LOL! The board got bored.
    This will sell though...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    The virus reaches your eye via droplets in the air. They either reach your eye or they don't. If they flow around the lenses, no treatment makes any difference. If they splat on the lens surface, they aren't going to reach your eye whether the lenses are glass, plastic, coated, uncoated. If your lenses are made of swiss cheese, then you are at risk, but all the other lens materials are not porous enough to allow through-passage to even virus-sized particles.
    +1

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems this isn't a new concept. Uncle Fester posted a link to a patent that was applied for 06/12/2013. Silver ions being used in smart phone screens. I found a recent (covid era) article about why it's not being used in most smart phones today. Just a little more info for y'all to digest. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/why-...e-clean-itself

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    DING DING DING! Chicken dinner over here. :D
    Many people are saying that this anti-bacterial coating might also reduce acne, scars, cellulite, and stretch marks.*

*I have acquaintances who either work for VSP or own their stock. One of them owes me money.

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I've reached out to our VSP rep a few times over this since it was introduced. They still can't really tell us how it works or is applied. But they're saying the anti bacterial properties are in the AR coat and hard coat itself. And create a surface environment that eradicates bacteria. They also say the properties are retained for the life of the coating. Let's be honest. The only reason they're doing it is to have a coating that enables them to make the Unity products mandatory going forward with the changes in reimbursements. It's their safety net. It's mandatory because we have this and no one else does. That's my thought on it. It's supposed to protect against the build up of bacteria on the lens. But it feels way more gimmicky and just a way to protect themselves more than anything.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The life of the coating, my left foot...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is the stupidest thing I have heard of in a long time. They should be ashamed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    The first patent for a Progressive in the US was granted to Estelle Glancy on behalf of American Optical in 1924. No product reached the market until the 1960’s. Mostly due to non acceptance of the concept by the optical community. When the early adapters starting selling progressives it was a very rocky rd. Sell 1, sell 2, sell 3 and them number 4 is a dismal failure. I will never sell these lenses again was a constant call. Look where we are now. New concepts take patience, time and a desire to lead not follow.
    And for every idea like a progressive addition lens there are truckloads of snake oil and idiocy pushed on the masses of optical customers.

Thread Information