Thread: Lens Rx to be filled with a progressive question

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lens Rx to be filled with a progressive question

I work at a wholesale club in the optical department. Some lens styles are out of our range. This Rx came to me today and I am wondering what type of lens would fill this particular Rx because we are not able to accommodate.

Sphere: plano; Cylinder: sphere; AXIS 70; with an add power of 1.25.

Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No one can fill a plano sphere with an axis of 070. It doesn't exist. No training required to work in the optical department?

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just a typo. Call prescribing doctor to confirm

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
    Just a typo. Call prescribing doctor to confirm
    Appreciate it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No, but large egos are welcome to apply, Kwill212. Good luck!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    He can kind of back it up, though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not the smartest or best optician, though I do think I'm pretty good. Nor am I the smartest or best optician on optiboard. It's not ego.
    It is the deplorable state of our industry that allows people with zero training to fill these positions. And please don't give me the old, everyone has to start somewhere, excuse. Yes we all do have to start somewhere, usually the bottom. Clearly I wasn't born an optician. I knew nothing when I started. But I also wasn't in any position to interact with the public, dispense glasses, order jobs, cut jobs, etc. until I had at least the basic knowledge. I was also working under someone with the requisite knowledge and did a lot of self study. One has to assume if OptiHolly was brand new and had someone with more experience working above them, they wouldn't need to come to optiboard to figure our this question that anyone in the industry more than a week should know. So if there is no one at the wholesale club that knows more than OptiHolly, I dare say those customers are getting less service than they expect. I would bet that the vast majority of customers take for granted that the person working in the optical has some sort of accreditation or education on the subject, and would be shocked at the state of the industry. Most probably also wouldn't care at the wholesale club, they are obviously there just for price. But, would you buy anything from someone who had no idea about what they are selling? Let alone a custom medical device. I wouldn't buy shoes from someone who doesn't know the difference between the laces and the soles, and I wouldn't but glasses from someone who doesn't know that a plano sphere can't have an axis. The worst part about it is the OptiHollys out there think they are great "optical person" who "helps their customers save money because they're just as good as other places with less cost!" Don't take it too personal OptiHolly, this is your thread, but it's really about the industry.

Some people think I'm being to harsh, I'm ok with that. Most days I see our industry going down the toilet and I just hold down the flush handle to make it go faster. Separate the top from the bottom further. Some days I rant. It doesn't change anything.

OptiHolly, if you want some constructive criticism. Get a copy of System for Ophthalmic Dispensing 3rd edition. Read it, re-read it, and reference it often.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Everything Kwill212 says is the truth.
    Almost 40 years in this business now and it made my brain pain when I saw OptiHolly's intro post.
    Made me appreciate my ABC's that I can put with my name.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Assuming that the Lancaster County location is in central PA, I can tell you that the state of PA is not a licensed state and it shows. You can tell a big difference between the opticians that are ABO certified and the ones that are not. Around here, it is more common to not be certified than it is to be certified because the job does not require it. There is no requirement for a certified optician to be present at all. It is not uncommon to find opticians with 1 week experience to be on their own in a location. I feel for OptiHolly. I don't think it's her fault, but rather that of the supervisor and management. Here in PA, things will never change. We will never be a licensed state.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    it made my brain pain when I saw OptiHolly's intro post.
    Made me appreciate my ABC's that I can put with my name.
    Same here. Over 25 years experience and letters after my name that I earned with a lot of hard work.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I filled an rx years ago:

+0.125 -0.125 x 12½ OU

It was the half degree axis that made me think the doc was giving me a wink and a nod.

Called him and to my surprise he wasn't. Charged the guy double for a special order rx and told the lab I needed them exact which they did with an added charge as this is within tolerance of plano lenses.

Can't make this stuff up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I filled an rx years ago:

+0.125 -0.125 x 12½ OU

It was the half degree axis that made me think the doc was giving me a wink and a nod.

Called him and to my surprise he wasn't. Charged the guy double for a special order rx and told the lab I needed them exact which they did with an added charge as this is within tolerance of plano lenses.

Can't make this stuff up.
    You told them it needed to be exact to what standard? To how many significant digits? Measured by what instrument? What is the tolerance error on the instrument? When was it last calibrated? What is the level of precision of the instrument measuring the finished lenses?

There is a reason that tolerance and ANSI standards exist. Playing a bit of devils advocate here but would +1.22 -1.27 x 12 3/8 be exact enough? What if the instrument reading the Rx isn't that precise and just rounds it to +1.25 -1.25 x 12 1/2? Or if the instrument measures +1.259 -1.254 x 12.5486? Is your lensmeter(or the crazy doctors), calibrated exactly the same as the one used at the lab?
    I know sometimes you just have to put your head down, shut up, and take the money. But, I would be vary weary of anything else that doctor wrote. IMO these kind of jobs turn out worse more often than not for the dispenser.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    B&L 70 and the lab did nail it although the axis obviously was impossible to guarantee.

Thread Information