Thread: Angst towards consumers

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Angst towards consumers

There seems to be a current of angst/contempt towards consumers here in this forum, not shared by majority but certainly present in some.

As they are our greatest assets, with such a mindset, how can our subconscious mind not work against providing a terrific service for them, our customers? are such mindsets an obstacle to the profession?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Don't be a virtue-signaling goofball.

This is not your practice. It's a forum.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that we all strive to do our absolute best for each of our patients, but when you deal with the public there is a certain amount of frustration that arises. We vent here to people we know will understand so we can turn around, put a smile on our faces, and greet the next patient with a refreshed mindset to do our best again. I dare say if it were an real 'obstacle' most of us would found another profession long ago.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say most, if not all of the consumer related threads you might be referring to are about the once in a blue moon, Friday the 13th patients. If you are so blessed to not have experienced these type of people, I am truly envious. But for the rest of us, we do encounter these folks from time to time. The ones that bring their manila folders with them from their previous 6 eye exams that they have had all in the last year. The ones who want to know the exact chemical composition of the lens material. The ones who can see a spec in the coating if they get out their 20x magnifier and hold their lenses juuuust so under a 100 watt bulb.

This is a forum of industry people and it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who encounters these folks, and to get a good vent or chuckle out of other peoples experiences. We understand that these type of patients are a very small minority. It doesn't in any way prevent us from providing terrific service for them, or any of our other patients. I think you have missed the mark by quite a bit here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Nothing provokes more contempt in me than self-righteous blather.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    See? We are an equal-opportunity contemptuous bunch. Try it. It's fun.

OptiBoard Apprentice Hailey Benson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think anyone that says they have never had a problem with a customer/patient is either lying or lying. Let's be honest with ourselves. We have all seen the person that is never happy, no matter how far out of your way you go to satisfy their needs and wants. I live in a very rural part of Texas with a lot of people that think things should just be handed to them. We go above and beyond to provide a wonderful experience and to provide exactly what they need and want but because its not next to free, they get angry about it. This is apart of customer service no matter what industry you are in. Personally, it's nice to know that I can come on here and talk about a difficult patient I had and someone can relate to me and even give me advice on how to better handle the situation next time. Maybe that's just me.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've often said that I remember details of 50% of the patients with whom I interact. The 50% I don't remember came and went with nothing remarkable to recall. 40% I remember because they were a pleasure, and 10% I remember because they were jerks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    I've often said that I remember details of 50% of the patients with whom I interact. The 50% I don't remember came and went with nothing remarkable to recall. 40% I remember because they were a pleasure, and 10% I remember because they were jerks.
    No matter which facet of our industry your in there is always the 10% rule.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    No matter which facet of our industry your in there is always the 10% rule.
    Got to believe it applies to any industry.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tf50fm View Post
    There seems to be a current of angst/contempt towards consumers here in this forum, not shared by majority but certainly present in some.

As they are our greatest assets, (not the ones who want/expect something for nothing) with such a mindset, how can our subconscious mind not work against providing a terrific service for them, our customers? (sometimes it's better for my mental health to let them walk) are such mindsets an obstacle to the profession? (To last in our field you must have patience, a thick skin and an ability to recognize when you are dealing with someone who falls on a spectrum of cognitive disabilities to out right sociopaths. Eventually you will see them all and their stories wind up here.)
    fwiw- Some of us can tell the story with empathy. Some bluntly. But we all relate as we recline on Doctor Optiboards couch.

Thread Information