Thread: How is the Hoya Sync?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How is the Hoya Sync?

I've only been selling these for a year and I haven't been able to get a lot of feedback from customers. I get a pretty big employee discount so I've been thinking about ordering a pair for myself (with 0.57 add). I barely have any correction for distance (+0.25 right, -0.25 left) so I'm a little worried I'd notice the slight peripheral distortion more. I'm 31.

Has anyone here tried it for themselves?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got a HOYA sync. I've also got a Shamir Relax. My HOYA sync is a +.90 boost and my relax is a +.50.I really enjoy them. After having an anti-fatigue lens, I plan on never going back to normal sv.I tried to get myself an Eyezen to compare, but wasn't able to get a good deal on price. My advice would be get one with a good AR or it would be worthless to try. I'm a +1.75 -2.75 082 in my worse eye. They have been far my favorite lens, except maybe for my RX sunglasses. I would try and get more people in them, but people where I live are too cheap

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    I've got a HOYA sync. I've also got a Shamir Relax. My HOYA sync is a +.90 boost and my relax is a +.50.I really enjoy them. After having an anti-fatigue lens, I plan on never going back to normal sv.I tried to get myself an Eyezen to compare, but wasn't able to get a good deal on price. My advice would be get one with a good AR or it would be worthless to try. I'm a +1.75 -2.75 082 in my worse eye. They have been far my favorite lens, except maybe for my RX sunglasses. I would try and get more people in them, but people where I live are too cheap
    Do you experience any swim effect or peripheral distortion with the Hoya's?

Also, how old are you? Should I consider the 0.90 sync (edit: 0.95 here) instead of the 0.57?
    Last edited by Airegin; 06-29-2020 at 05:19 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm 31. The truth is the .9 is probably a little much for me. I just like to try different stuff so I'm able to relate to patients. Tried a HOYA ID screen, just for fun. I tend to do oc height and mono pd measurements in trivex. I really don't notice too much swim effect or peripheral distortion. I would assume for you the .57 would be more than enough. Even when I wear my shamir relax with the lower add, I like it. The only distortion I get is when I'm lying down trying to look out far.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, that's good to know. I tried a Summit ECP with 1.00 add last year. The add didn't feel like it was too much but there was definitely too much peripheral distortion, which I expected of course.

I actually once fitted a client who wanted sunglasses just for driving and viewing his dashboard with the Sync 0.57 and he was extremely happy with them. I think he was about 45-50 years old. He was never happy with progressives since he leans back a lot while driving so I did have to lower the OC quite a bit.
    Last edited by Airegin; 06-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had these for a week now. I'm pretty happy but the add portion in the left lens is very narrow, probably because of my base in prism. I had to decenter the left PD 0.5mm, hopefully that didn't mess things up (seems pretty okay so far). It would probably help if I could get the vertex distance below 20mm but only a nose job can fix that.
    Last edited by Airegin; 08-04-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Turns out I'm used to looking more to the right because it feels more comfortable without correction. It's a habit I acquired to compensate for my phoria. It's funny I realize this just now because it makes a lot of sense actually.

Thread Information