Thread: This Weeks Video: UVC Frame Disinfecting

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This Weeks Video: UVC Frame Disinfecting

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great video! Do you have any information regarding different UV wavelengths for sanitation? We are using a UV box made for baby bottles to sanitize our products. The length of time is a lot longer to sanitize. We thought if it was in the UV spectrum for a certain period of time, we would be ok. Thughts?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Great video! Do you have any information regarding different UV wavelengths for sanitation? We are using a UV box made for baby bottles to sanitize our products. The length of time is a lot longer to sanitize. We thought if it was in the UV spectrum for a certain period of time, we would be ok. Thughts?
    If (big IF) I understand it correctly UVA and UVB can be effective but as you mention it takes a much, much longer time.

I'll check with the smart people and see what they say.

John

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK here is what the guy with the big brain has to say:

"The wavelengths that are considered “germicidal” are 195-275 nm. The really short wavelengths have the added ability to create ozone. Ozone is harmful to breath (not good) but ozone is also germicidal. So, most often the wavelengths that are used are above the ozone creation area 220-275nm. The best wavelength for killing germs actually appears to be 265 nm. It takes less energy to kill germs at this wavelength. Unfortunately, it is really hard to manufacture that wavelength.

Mercury bulbs, the most common germicidal type, are 254 nm. They are very effective. Since they are a bulb and not an LED, they can create a lot of energy. This is the most common.

LED’s are an up and coming field. Most LED’s are in the 275 nm range. Not quite as effective as 254 but still work. The problem with LED’s is that they don’t output very much. In order to achieve the same germicidal effect, you would need 10X-20X the amount of time depending on the LED’s. The other way to solve this would be to have many more LED’s.

Remember that it is wavelength first, then energy imparted and lastly the distance to the part from the light source."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! That's a lot to digest. I've been using my UV box for approx 15 min each time. Of course it was purchased online so no information is given on the nanometer range. Now I am worried that it is not enough? I was using a H2O2/H2O (50/50 mix) spray but was worried about that for the same reasons you mentioned in the video. I was also worried that somehow if I was spraying (rather than dipping) I was missing areas. So if I understand your information, my UV box might be ok if I do it much longer (so approx 20-40 min vs 11min)? I am very concerned regarding this virus. I know someone who has all the symptoms and tested negative. Her live in boyfriend tested positive. In my mind, she clearly tested with a false negative. But because she is 'NEGATIVE," she believes she can still go out etc. She was told to quarantine but after her 2 weeks does not have to test to go back to work. So these people are really worrying me. I really want to make sure my patients (and ME!) are protected! Thank you for all your information!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    quick update... I was able to contact the company and find out the nanometer wavelength and it is 254. Much better than I expected, so I think we are OK?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I read it a mercury bulb at 254 would be quite effective.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for your help! Super appreciated!

Thread Information