Thread: "Heavy" Anti-Reflective Coating?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Heavy" Anti-Reflective Coating?

Hello fellow Optiboarders-
    Here's a quirky one, hopefully someone can shed some light on this........ I have a client who is a high minus (8-9 D) and she wants an AR coating that is noticeable. In other words, one that has the rainbow sheen visible in shades of blue. The lenses we made her have a premium AR coating but she swears she got this "heavier" coating in Europe 8-10 years ago and really wants to have it again. I went through the usual explanation that AR is a proprietary product, specific to the company that provides the coating and it isn't that easy to specify things such as more blue, more green, heavier blue, etc........... But like many clients, don't listen to the science/facts, just become fixated on I could get it then and I want it now. She's a great client overall and figured it was worth a little research in an effort to keep her happy. Who can afford to lose a client these days, right?

Thank you in advance to the brilliant minds I hope can point me in the right direction!! No pressure, though!! HaHa LOL

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstargazer View Post
    Hello fellow Optiboarders-
    Here's a quirky one, hopefully someone can shed some light on this........ I have a client who is a high minus (8-9 D) and she wants an AR coating that is noticeable. In other words, one that has the rainbow sheen visible in shades of blue. The lenses we made her have a premium AR coating but she swears she got this "heavier" coating in Europe 8-10 years ago and really wants to have it again. I went through the usual explanation that AR is a proprietary product, specific to the company that provides the coating and it isn't that easy to specify things such as more blue, more green, heavier blue, etc........... But like many clients, don't listen to the science/facts, just become fixated on I could get it then and I want it now. She's a great client overall and figured it was worth a little research in an effort to keep her happy. Who can afford to lose a client these days, right?

Thank you in advance to the brilliant minds I hope can point me in the right direction!! No pressure, though!! HaHa LOL
    I'm no fan of the current 'Blue-Light' b.s. but I think some of the 'Blue-Light' A/R coatings seem to be pretty prominent though I don't have a specific one to suggest.

Another option might be to do a 'Flash' mirror coating? I've done that for customers who want a very light mirror (but certainly more noticeable than an A/R coating) for fashion reasons. That way you can also pick the color... Just an idea.

Good luck and good job going the extra mile for your customer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If I'm not mistaken, the Crizal Sapphire has a blue reflex color to it.

A few of the Zeiss Carat's had blue reflex colors. The Zeiss Teflon in particular had a dark blue reflex color. But, as far as I am aware, you can't get those any longer.

A coating from 8-10 years ago isn't likely to be in use any longer consideringthe progression in technology.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 06-11-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Crizal Sapphire has a blue reflex color to it.
    I wear a Sapphire 360 UV on my glasses and it is a light blue but it's very, very inconspicuous imho...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Zeiss and Essilor's Prevencia might be an option for a noticeable residual light reflex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Light Comp.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	14698

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I felt like Kodak's TotalBlue or whatever it was called seemed pretty deeply hued and noticeable. Had a couple Davis patients before the lab switchover who I was pretty sure had that, since they definitely did not have Avance

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like it was a high index lens that did not have index matched coatings. Those seem to have a more pronounced "rainbow sheen" birefringence.

Thread Information