Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think Zeiss is now in a very good position for a change.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Public service announcement.

I am wearing a new pair of Zeiss Officelens Room.

I am literally astounded by the quality of these optics. I don't think I've ever seen this clearly. It's like wearing butter.

I'm not exaggerating.
    +0.50 over the distance (add cut by the same) is sweet in a small room, primarily for the more advanced presbyopes. The cut add also reduces unwanted astigmatism, and of course Zeiss designs a nice PAL with a wide distance zone.

They might even double as computer/task eyeglasses for some folks (screen carefully) and select nursing home residents.

It used to be called Gradal RD (room distance) decades ago.

Best regards

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, that's exactly right.

I overrefracted through these to ascertian the effective add through the upper portion of the lens and it was just about -0.50. So it's what you said.

And we designed those before with any old PAL, like anyone.

And truth! If you want a "room design" you add +0.50, and if you want a "computer design" you add +1.00, more or less. And yes, turning a +2.50 progression into a +1.50 progression widens out the near zone.

And yes, these are digitally surfaced and well-designed.

But I gotta say that the area of the intermediate and near zones is super-ample. They're just nice.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember my same reaction when I got a pair of Shamir Workspace lenses a few years ago and Robert correctly pointing out my minimal rx probably needing more plus in the distance as it is commonly under-corrected in the chair.

I have better success prescribing to minimal rx's with this type of lens but recall drk is quite nearsighted- so not sure if I want to change my go to recommendation of single vision for strong myopes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's like wearing butter.
    That's all I really need to take away from this. And somehow, I need to incorporate this into my everyday vernacular with patients.

"Sir, you're right, that's not a bad option, but THIS lens is like wearing butter."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And this butter has not been produced from Shameer's teats!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which US Zeiss locations have you had any luck with? Do all of the 1.74 Individual still get produced in Germany or are there US locations for this now? Its been a few years, but the turn time used to be atrocious.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    Which US Zeiss locations have you had any luck with? Do all of the 1.74 Individual still get produced in Germany or are there US locations for this now? Its been a few years, but the turn time used to be atrocious.
    I use Walman Optical in Oak Creek Wi.

They're still being produced in Germany, with both sides being worked for the thinnest possible optics, especially on plus powers. I ordered a pair about 4 weeks ago that looked like this:

Rt +4.50 -1.00 x 96 add +2.50
    Lt +2.50 -0.75 x 86 add +2.50

It took 16 days, with I assume a fast track through customs. US produced product has had a seven to ten day turn around, again through Walman.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK, a basic question that is shameful to ask.

I know the answer, but I want reassurance.

When ordering a FFSV lens (like the Zeiss Individual SV), you provide whatever POW numbers you like, and monocular p.d.s, and..."fitting heights" NOT the pupil height minus 3-4 mm for pantoscopic tilt.

RIGHT?

Because it's funny that I have for sooooo many years forgotten that I'm really doing compensations for POW everytime I order a traditional SV lens, by customizing OC height for the frame. (But heck, I always used the same number, 3mm.)

So now, Zeiss will take my pupil center fitting height, and my pantoscopic tilt measurement and work their own magic. (It might just be 3.1mm or even 2.9mm!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, a basic question that is shameful to ask.

I know the answer, but I want reassurance.

When ordering a FFSV lens (like the Zeiss Individual SV), you provide whatever POW numbers you like, and monocular p.d.s, and..."fitting heights" NOT the pupil height minus 3-4 mm for pantoscopic tilt.

RIGHT?

Because it's funny that I have for sooooo many years forgotten that I'm really doing compensations for POW everytime I order a traditional SV lens, by customizing OC height for the frame. (But heck, I always used the same number, 3mm.)
    Correct. You should not be adjusting the fitting height for FFSV lenses. Most are fit on center. I think the Zeiss Ind SV is a 4 drop from the fitting cross to the prp.

So now, Zeiss will take my pupil center fitting height, and my pantoscopic tilt measurement and work their own magic. (It might just be 3.1mm or even 2.9mm!)
    Not really. Sounds like you are saying they will be adjusting the height, just by a different amount than you would? Which they wont. The fitting height will be whatever you supply. They will be adjusting the lens power and design to optimize viewing for your supplied measurements.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hai. Ah, so, Obi Wan. Domo.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In Australia the Energize Me progressive comes in 3 corridor lengths, 10, 12 or 14 (FFV 0, 2 or 4)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think this is kinda neat (I'm still "crushing" on Zeiss for now):

There's a concept that I found on their website that I think is novel. One of their Office lenses is called "Room" (Book, Desk, Room) and it's the one I'm sampling (so successfully). They call it an "indoor progressive",

Hmm...indoor progressive. I like that concept.

As Robert alluded, I've previously designed my own "indoor progressives" with +0.50 overplus with reduced progression for the presbyopic opticians/receptionists and they wore the heck out of them (even outdoors by accident). It's a fun concept.
    Last edited by drk; 08-20-2020 at 04:05 PM.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone here had a patient that was upset about the Zeiss branding they are etching into the upper corners of every lens? In the past, I have been able to request them to leave their branding off but today I was told I am no longer able to do this. I tried to request "No branding" on a smartlife ind. 1.67 w/photofusion and duravision platinum and was told by the lab that I would have to switch to a synchrony if I didnt want branding. I find the logo to be pretty distracting on Non-AR coated lenses and was disappointed by the labs response.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6859.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	14758

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the etching the light bee hive boxes I'm seeing on the top corner?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Is the etching the light bee hive boxes I'm seeing on the top corner?
    Yes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    Has anyone here had a patient that was upset about the Zeiss branding they are etching into the upper corners of every lens? In the past, I have been able to request them to leave their branding off but today I was told I am no longer able to do this. I tried to request "No branding" on a smartlife ind. 1.67 w/photofusion and duravision platinum and was told by the lab that I would have to switch to a synchrony if I didnt want branding. I find the logo to be pretty distracting on Non-AR coated lenses and was disappointed by the labs response.

Name:	IMG_6859.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	14758
    No chance I would dispense those lenses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes I have had that issue and I stopped using zeiss after that starting being the way they did things. Its a shame and an incredibly strange decision.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one disappointed by this.
    I know they announced they would start doing this a couple of years ago on edged jobs but it didn’t apply to uncuts until recently. It’s not too noticeable on A/R coated jobs but it’s quite visible on non-ar lenses and it’s on BOTH lenses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Found this site finally! Great stuff guys!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Ben View Post
    Found this site finally! Great stuff guys!
    Welcome- A greenie sent to you!

Develop a thick skin and be kind to us simpletons who ask sometimes less than erudite questions.

Also- Consider subscribing and open up the Private thread where we can discuss prices and other things not for the general public's readily accessible knowledge!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a very expensive, uncut 1.67 Zeiss Smartlife Individual with all the bells and whistles but the forced "logo branding" isnt positioned properly and only half the logo will be visible when cut out. Who on earth thought adding this to every lens was a good idea?

Name:	IMG_6888(1).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	14767

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a very expensive, uncut 1.67 Zeiss Smartlife Individual with all the bells and whistles but the forced "logo branding" isnt positioned properly and only half the logo will be visible when cut out. Who on earth thought adding this to every lens was a good idea?

Name:	IMG_6888(1).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	14767
    the idea did not come from a dispensing optician, I'll tell you that much!!! It's one of the dumbest decisions I have seen in my life. Especially when you think of the *type* of person who specifically comes in and requests zeiss

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who on earth thought adding this to every lens was a good idea?
    Probably the same people that decided Zeiss should cut out every other lab get in bed with VSP. Seems like the bean counters are running the show to the bottom over there in Zeiss land.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    the idea did not come from a dispensing optician, I'll tell you that much!!! It's one of the dumbest decisions I have seen in my life. Especially when you think of the *type* of person who specifically comes in and requests zeiss
    We brought this up to our rep and he said market research shows patients prefer "Branding" on their lenses and that we should use this as an opportunity to educate patients about their company....also compared it to branding done on Rayban and Maui Jim sunglasses. I think it is absolutely ridiculous and they will lose alot of business if they do not make this optional.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As a non-official shill, I've seen it on some lenses and while I think it's cool (and I think lens branding may just work) I do get worried some patient will see it, and gripe.

We'll see.

Thread Information