Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSP "no choice" plan now has a choice?

Occupation
    Optometrist

VSP "no choice" plan now has a choice?

I've been told that the VSP website is no longer (temporarily? permanently?) requiring (no) Choice plan work to go to their in-house labs! Now you can use a contract lab.

What's that all about? A mess in the VSP labs from coronavirus? A mess in VSP?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've always been able to send Choice work to our private lab of choice...as well as in office finishing too??

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you live in a state with a VSP lab, I think you were required to send your work there. For those practices which AREN'T in such a situation, we've always been able to send it to a private lab. As for why? Hell if I know, I'm one of the lucky ones who got to send em wherever

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes this is happening, but (and this is a big but) the formularies will be changing there will now be a preferred and non-preferred categories with VSP. With Unity, Hoya, Maui Jim, and Zeiss making up the preferred lenses and ARs and everything else being in a lower reimbursement non-preferred formulary.
    http://s1499497143.t.en25.com/e/er?u...d=3139&elqat=1

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just read that, j.p.

So, instead of the VSP group taking a hit when we order, say Shamir (a 50% subsidiary of VSP's mortal enemy), now WE take the hit. Not the member. Not VSP.

And the "dispensing fees" for the (No)Choice Plan are already a joke.

If I can't find a lab that does Unity in-house, I'm stuck with the crap VSP Lab, anyway! If my wholesale lab has to send the job to VSP Labs, why should I bother? (Please comment, wholesale labbers.)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here is wisdom (or just a wild a$$ guess);
    1. The VSP Labs will turn into the Vision Works labs. All the non-VSP owned providers will shunt the work to contract labs. (At least, for now.)

2. Contract labs will have to buy clicks from "Plexus" (which is some lab entity registered as "foreign" but VSP owns it in Cali) or something, and amazing, overpriced Techshield coating units will have to be installed in contract labs or they will have to send them to the VSP labs (no, please, no).

3. VSP is gearing up for economic COVID armageddon in enrollment time 2021 (just in time for November elections and maybe "COVID outbreaks") when decimated businesses and retirement plans like Federal VIP are in NO MOOD to buy frills. Hence, they are pimping out their "value-oriented" (no)Choice Plan and spit polishing their boots.

4. But watch VSP sell the crap out of their own "Vision Works" network. They bought this turkey at a baaaaadd time. I expect them to undersell their providers and contract labs by going EVEN LOWER or at least providing mucho extra incentivos for members to visit the Vision Works Store* (heck, that's how EssiluxMed kicked their shins and stole their lunch money in the first place). Non VSP employed providers are going to get slowly screwed.

5. In a chapter yet to be written, VSP only will deal with "Premiere" practices (meaning practices that have about 1/3-1/2 of their frame inventory with Marchon/Altaire). Those that aren't interested in becoming mini-Eyeconics on the east side of the dispensary (when the west side is already a mini-Lenscrafters), can just pound sand. Why mess with providers who merely offer VSP's members a choice? It's not "keep your own doctor" stuff, anymore. That's a sad joke. It's a vertical silo model, and if you don't buy VSP products yourself/sell VSP products, what good are you to them?

Even so, being a "Premiere" practice is going to have diminishing returns.

As things are now, my practice is a tiny pimple on the butt of EssiluxMed. I service their members who like private practice and sell some EssiluxMed products (everyone does, whether they know it or not). VSP will never have as much market dominance with their puny frame and lens offerings, so I don't see that they need any pimples like me. But I will be here for them. I have NoChoice.

UNTIL...the great golden age returns...

* (some day soon to be rebranded as "Eyeconic")

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doc, I think you lay it plain here. But is any of this really surprising? This wall's been written on since what - the early 90's? The wannabe "insurance" companies, make ACTUAL money-grubbing insurance companies look pretty darn good in comparison! Isn't VSP still on the FTC's crapper list for hoarding too many billions of clams away, while trying to claim they're some form of "beneficial" non-profit? LOL

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For the record, the Unity Ethos and Via PAL lines are amazing performers, and TechShield stock lenses from Plexus are comparable to Crizal at a much lower cost. Just saying...
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    For the record, the Unity Ethos and Via PAL lines are amazing performers, and TechShield stock lenses from Plexus are comparable to Crizal at a much lower cost. Just saying...
    Are those IOT basic designs?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm not sure. The design source is shrouded in layers upon layers of secrecy. I personally have the Ethos Classic in one pair and the Unity Via Elite in two, and I am very very happy with both designs. The Via Elite compares favorably to a Varilux X Design, in my experience, and the TechShield ARs perform as well as any.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have some Varilux X and while I appreciate the distribution of unwanted astigmatism and the clear distance zone, the intermediate zone is non-existant and the near zone is blurry.

Had to get that out there.

So, I'd like to compare to a better standard.

I'm glad you think they're good, though. We need good PAL designs in this world.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Are those IOT basic designs?
    I think, not positive, that VSP and IOT parted ways a couple years ago.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Ok.... This is what I heard.

Starting in September, if you do not order a VSP product (i.e. Unity / Sunsync) your reimbursement is going to be even less than it is now.

I know it is slightly like that now, but it will be even more pathetic.

I don't know anything more than that.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found on the homepage of VSP Online tab an explanation last week. I don't see it anymore but it may be there somewhere and I'm overlooking it.

At first I thought and had initially heard it was frame as well as lens related but was corrected by the reps that it applies to mostly to Essilor lenses.

Non-Unity/VSP owned fees will be halved starting September 1st.

Get ready to switch to Zeiss and Unity and use VSPOne labs if not already.

I'll start a new thread over drilled rimless now a $30 charge to patients.

Find that on VSP Online as well on June news:

"Important reminder: VSP Ophthalmic Formulary Changes Effective April 1, 2020" click "read more" for details but first glance shows it is the rimless change.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IOT LENSES will work? What about shamir since they are not majority owned by E?

Seiko? Is it just Essilor stuff?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe only Zeiss (or Hoya from a drk post) remains unaffected.

Get ready for Eye Med to do the same pushing everything to Big E.

Occupation
    Look at VSP trying to put their big boy pants on.

BTW, VSP San Diego had an employee test positive for COVID. They shut down for a week to clean the lab.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    CA is a beautiful hell.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    CA is a beautiful hell.
    That's the most apropros description of CA I've ever heard.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    Look at VSP trying to put their big boy pants on.

BTW, VSP San Diego had an employee test positive for COVID. They shut down for a week to clean the lab.
    Where did you hear this?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is what my VSP rep sent me.

"Eliminating Lab Routing for VSP Choice and VSP Advantage PlansCurrently, in some states, practices are required to send lab orders for VSP Choice and VSP Advantage plan claims to a VSPOne Technology Center (Choice/Advantage routing). Effective June 1, 2020, VSP is ending Choice/Advantage routing in California, Oregon, Washington, Ohio, and Florida, as well as FEDVIP routing in all states. This change delivers greater flexibility, allowing you to source lab services from any lab on the VSP contract lab network for VSP Choice and VSP Advantage plans.
    Guaranteed Member Pricing on VSP Choice Plan Lens Enhancements
    Effective September 1, 2020, VSP Choice Plans will include guaranteed member pricing on all lens enhancements instead of 20% off of U&C fees. These lens enhancements include digital aspheric, high index, polarized, near variable focus lenses, as well as others. The affected enhancements represent approximately 10% of all lens enhancements chosen by patients with VSP Choice Plan coverage.

This change creates more value for clients, better pricing transparency for members and increased patient satisfaction with the VSP Choice Plan, increasing the opportunity for client retention and voluntary member enrollment, resulting in greater patient access for network doctors.
    Ophthalmic Product Formulary Changes
    Effective September 1, 2020, the VSP formulary that is administered by Plexus is updating the ophthalmic product formulary to include preferred and non-preferred categories for anti-reflective (AR) coating, progressive, and digital single vision (includes anti-fatigue) lens products. These formulary updates may change your doctor service fees for all plans.

The changes are necessary to control costs, continue to align our supply chain with industry standards, and ensure VSP Vision Care offerings remain of high value for clients, increasing our ability to win and retain contracts, grow and retain membership, and drive patients to your practice.

• Doctor service fees will be unaffected for preferred brands and will be reduced by approximately 50% for non-preferred brands.
      • The preferred brands for AR coatings will be differentiated based on ISO-certified anti-bacterial technology1, currently available on TechShield® Anti-Reflective Coatings.
        • All other brands of AR coatings and VSP Optics brands that do not have the anti-bacterial technology will be in the non-preferred category and receive reduced doctor service fees.

• The preferred brands for progressive and digital single vision (includes anti-fatigue) lenses include Unity, Zeiss, Maui Jim, and Hoya; non-preferred brands include all other manufacturers at the reduced doctor service fee

Straight from the Source. I guess if your using Essilor or something be prepared for significant reimbursement cuts

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    From a VSP lab rep at VSP ONE San Diego.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    So do we need to find a Hoya lab or a VSPOne lab for these changes?? Were Vision Source and use Essilor for our labs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basically you can still use Essilor products you will just get 50% reimbursement. Isn't Vision Source owned by Essilor? I think they are and I would find it hard to believe that Vision Source is going to let you switch. It doesn't make sense for Essilor to make you switch. Question for you ABOC14, are you even allowed to use non essilor products? Are you even able to order a hoya lens or unity? How about AR, do you even use anything other the Crizal. Just curious.

Thread Information