Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSP "no choice" plan now has a choice?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    Basically you can still use Essilor products you will just get 50% reimbursement. Isn't Vision Source owned by Essilor? I think they are and I would find it hard to believe that Vision Source is going to let you switch. It doesn't make sense for Essilor to make you switch. Question for you ABOC14, are you even allowed to use non essilor products? Are you even able to order a hoya lens or unity? How about AR, do you even use anything other the Crizal. Just curious.
    We can use other labs if wanted, we just better prices with Essilor and our private label products, at even better prices.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It will be interesting to see what happens. I see both sides of the story, VSP and Essilor. I would assume with Essilor, very few of their places, Vision Source, Lenscrafters ect. use to many non essilor. I'm sure they have the option but the price difference is too great to not use essilor. I see VSP's side as well. I don't know what the perfect answer is, but it will be interesting to see what happens. It might not be Essilux vs VSP for dominance now. Only time will tell.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens. I see both sides of the story, VSP and Essilor. I would assume with Essilor, very few of their places, Vision Source, Lenscrafters ect. use to many non essilor. I'm sure they have the option but the price difference is too great to not use essilor. I see VSP's side as well. I don't know what the perfect answer is, but it will be interesting to see what happens. It might not be Essilux vs VSP for dominance now. Only time will tell.
    Thats my thought as well. VSP/Marchon/Hoya-Zeiss vs Eyemed/Luxottica/Essilor

OptiBoard Apprentice Hailey Benson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office relies heavy on Essilor and Shamir products, I am interested in seeing how this all plays out.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office is talking to a VSP One rep next week.

Any serious questions you want asked?

Just a reminder- yesterday an Altair frame was $4 under-priced on their auto-filled cost. This can, and recently for me did, affect an up-charge- so be vigilant!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Our office is talking to a VSP One rep next week.

Any serious questions you want asked?

Just a reminder- yesterday an Altair frame was $4 under-priced on their auto-filled cost. This can, and recently for me did, affect an up-charge- so be vigilant!
    Will ordering Hoya products through VSPOne be available or will we be charged differently than going directly from Hoya?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a thread from a couple years ago. Post #8 relates to ABOC's questions.

There is one from late 2018 or early 2019 that I can't find. It discussed HOYA's big push to get VSP business. Anyone know how to search better than I do?

(I miss Chris)
    https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...light=Hoya+vsp

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm pretty sure that you can order HOYA through VSPOne. Now VSPOne might have an upcharge, but that would be something you would have to talk to a specific lab about. I know that ordering HOYA products from VSPOne seems to take a little longer than just ordering straight from HOYA. I've even noticed that the VSPOne labs that we use all have different prices. Someone mentioned to me that Essilux is trying to sue VSP for antitrust or something. I tried finding some more information but couldn't. I can't imagine that it will go very far. I thought that Essilor/Luxottica merger would cause some sort of monopoly problems but it didn't. I'm not sure what to believe from VSP or Essilux. The best I can do is wait for something to happen. I guess we have two more months to figure out what will happen.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was told by someone in VSP that their recent acquisition and expansion into retail has stressed their labs The decision was made to offer the option to use " approved labs". I do see lower re-imbursement rates coming as well. VSP has bitten off more than they can chew...my opinion

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was told by VSP rep that the VisionWerks has its own lab capacity.

I think the stress is from forced layoffs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ABOC14 View Post
    Will ordering Hoya products through VSPOne be available or will we be charged differently than going directly from Hoya?
    I'm told no. Turnaround time can be 2 to 3 weeks plus however.

Meeting was a great exercise in razzle dazzle!

Some notes:

VSP has 80 million signed up. 59 million for Eye Med but growing so they have to squeeze us to stay competitive....But if we go the Premier route you will really make out like bandits (And they throw the numbers at you with their data printouts to prove it.) Who knew and realized how truly caring and wealthy we are from VSP!

Currently 34,000 independent participants. Chains allowed only because of a loss of a potential million subscribers in the South if they didn't allow it.

They are not insurance like Eye Med which is a broker for insurance. They are "not for profit" insurance (as opposed to non profit- there is a difference). They distribute millions to members each year.

"Exam Plus Savings Choice" will take the place of Exam Plus and will be much like today's Choice plan.

CVS is now in bed with Eye Med.

Vision Works no longer does lab work.

You should set up a meeting and be dazed.....um...dazzled soon.

Thread Information