Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a golden age of optical on the horizon?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So, to de-mystify Barry's otherwise good post, emphasize service.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    So, to de-mystify Barry's otherwise good post, emphasize service.
    100%. I can't "compete" with online any more than I have been able to "compete" with big box stores. The only alternative is to be obviously better than those competitors at the things that we are uniquely able to offer: superior service, knowledge, and product quality.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Service, quality, price...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Service, quality, price...
    Toot Toot in case you didn't notice this is me tooting my own horn........Service, Quality, Price See FastGrind. Successful for 29 years

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Toot Toot in case you didn't notice this is me tooting my own horn........Service, Quality, Price See FastGrind. Successful for 29 years
    I think you may have missed Drk's point Don...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I think you may have missed Drk's point Don...
    Which point would that be as he has about 8 posts on this subject?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Which point would that be as he has about 8 posts on this subject?
    The one you obviously just replied to, for no other reason then to schlep fastgrind.

Service, quality, price... That's normally followed by "pick 2". But you tooted right on board saying and you've got all three...

Disregarding the fact that your post had absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic, it seems to have missed the sentiment of the entire thread. Which is to say that competing at the bottom is very difficult, in any industry. A focus on service and quality with a higher price is an easier niche for independent retailers. No one has the best service, the best quality and the best price, except you I guess.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    The one you obviously just replied to, for no other reason then to schlep fastgrind.

Service, quality, price... That's normally followed by "pick 2". But you tooted right on board saying and you've got all three...

Disregarding the fact that your post had absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic, it seems to have missed the sentiment of the entire thread. Which is to say that competing at the bottom is very difficult, in any industry. A focus on service and quality with a higher price is an easier niche for independent retailers. No one has the best service, the best quality and the best price, except you I guess.
    Getting nasty, all I replied to was DRK post #28,stress all 3 and you'll be successful. I'm outa here. Going home for a cold homebrew which is the best quality and lowest price and served just steps from by lounger.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Ok... so not glasses, but similar situation. I went to a local chain furniture store in search of a new kitchen table and chairs. Got what I though was a decent set for $550. I knew it wasn't anything spectacular, but the price was right. Well, I had problems with it from day one. One chair broke immediately. Finish on table top wasn't what expected. Treated like crap from the company. Fast forward a couple years and now we want a new dining room set. This time, I don't go to the chain store down the street. I drive to Lancaster county to a small Mennonite store and find a nice Amish made cherry dining set. Table, leaf and 4 chairs for $800 and free delivery. They were polite and wonderful. I have now furnished my living room and 2 bedrooms from that store. I kept the crappy kitchen set so that my kid can do her art projects on it and not care. When she is a bit older, I will replace the chain store set with on from my Mennonite friends. Just saying a little more in price is worth the quality. I was taught a valuable lesson.
    While visiting our daughter in York, PA we took a factory tour of George's Furniture in Lancaster County on a whim. The quality was far better than anything we had seen in any of the big name stores, with prices very reasonable for the quality. Purchased a dining room set on the spot. At our request they made a matching storage unit for the table leaves. Several years later and table and chairs are all still rock solid.

Over the years we've never had buyer's remorse when we spent a bit extra to purchase better quality. But we have regretted some purchases when we tried to take the cheap way out.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    “The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten”

Thread Information