Thread: Professional Association Dues?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie Professional Association Dues?

It's been a while since I 've been to a convention, but the last time I attended one, there was some good discussion about membership fees; and there are some interesting diverse opinions; one is that there is some relationship to low fee= more numbers of members; and the opposite, high fees = fewer members; I don't think either is true. and what is low and what is high? In a suburb of a major metropolitan market, I must advertise in 3 phone books, and support 3 or 4 Chambers of commerce; which I believe is 'good for businees'; since if my community isn't successful, neither can I be. Now, the membership "dues" of each Chamber is an average of $400 a year; that's okay, because not supporting the efforts of the community is certainly not good for business; cinversely, my dues to our states optical professional association is $65, my OAA dues is about $200 and my Guild firm dues is $100; So, why wouldn't I be willing too pay as much to be a member of my professional groups who are helping me in professional credibility ways, as I am to support the economic success of my communty? Yet, the optical association leaders groan about not having enough funds to do the job, that optical professionals "couldn't afford it'. now, I know that in 'licensed' states, things may be a bit different, but, why. so , you work hard to get that license, and you think you don't need your association any more, you've got the license? Well, like most thing in life, put your money where your mouth is, and you've got a better chance of getting what you want...you want better associations, take pride in it, get the support of the folks who can afford it, and charge much higher fees for those who aren't members.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got my Guild dues statement in the mail. It's nice to see that OAA has gone to a calendar year rather than a fiscal year. Makes things a little less complicated doing the books.

I am proud of being a Guild firm, an OAA Firm and an OAV member, as well as NAO. Now if we can just get everyone else to feel that way...AND I'm looking forward to the National Convention hosted by POF in October!

Judy, I hadn't heard a thing about the October meeting, have any details? Where, when, etc;? I just got some info on our Texas meeting, in San Antonio in June, notice some prominent optiboarders will speak: Diane Drake, Laurie Pierce, Jackie O'Keefe, along with Carol Norbeck, Ed August, Buddy Russell and Mark Andre; should be a great meeting, since it'll be on the famous riverwalk; I hope it'll have great attendance; it may conflict with my plans to take my wife for a "second 30th year honeymoon in Hawaii!". i'd hope to be able to both, would be good to see these great speakers again, and not just for the knowledge they share, they're really nice folks to get to know.
    and Judy, how is your daughter doing in school? Al.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Al,
    Check the Industry News Forum, there's an announcement posted there.

Thanks for asking about Beth. She graduates from William & Mary on Sunday. I'm so proud of her that I could just explode! She's headed to the University of Arizona for law school.

Judy, Knowing what she's been through, it's sort of a "miracle", isn't it; and I knwo what a great mom you are! I'm proud for her too! Doesn't time fly though when you're having so much fun? It seems like it was just a few months ago that she was starting school...

Thread Information