Thread: How is it going for your patients wearing masks and choosing glasses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How is it going for your patients wearing masks and choosing glasses?

In order for us to open it is required that patients wear masks in our office. How is that working for those of you in the same boat? I saw a few of you have made areas where patients can remove their mask, but it doesn’t sound like we can do that and follow guidelines. Are patients going along with the whole mask requirement while shopping?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It is technically possible to move the mask down far enough on the nose to get a good idea on how glasses will wear without breaking the rules. Just don't expect to be getting any POW measurements that are worth anything.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just set up our dressing room where we have a section of the optical separated with clear shower curtains for people to go in and remove mask. Will spray the bejesus out of it with lysol when then are done. I can see well through the curtain to see how well the frame fits and the patient can see what they look like. I will have "dirty trays" and "clean" trays to separate things. I have H2O2/H2O spray and also have H2O2/H2O in my ultrasonic (for frames only). Just purchased a UV box made for baby bottles to put other stuff in such as sunglasses where I need to clean real lenses too. Not sure what else I can do? For measurements, I have 2 masks on and patient has on 1. I have also purchased shields and breath shield for pupilometer. We shall see what happens... These are scary times. I'm high risk, but told I would have "willful termination" if I didn't come back and "would not be able to collect unemployment." So here I am. I'm doing my best.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Now it is mandatory for the patient to wear masks to protect them from this pandemic situation and also protect other people by not spreading them

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We let them take down the mask to try on a frame, and just social distance. 72 inches. Not 71...

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's what I do, as well. The patients aren't really able to get a good impression of themselves, with the mask on. I let them know they can remove their mask, if they wish, since everyone else has theirs' on. Only one patient in the dispensary at a time anyway. You are more strict then I, 71 1/2 is good for me.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are seeing one patient at a time in the dispensary, everyone must wear a mask, and I discourage browsing. I have been bringing selections to patients and also have a 'dirty' tray that I clean with an H2O2 spray. I have been allowing patients to remove their masks to really see the last 2 or 3 frames we have narrowed it down to. I too have a breath shield on the pupilometer, and I purchased this dispensing shield that I have really LOVED. I only move it for the minute or so I have to take a PD or seg. 2 weeks in and we seem to have gotten into a somewhat smooth routine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EMC.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	14697

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We are instructing patients that any frame they even touch must be put in a black basket to be disinfected. This is generally discouraging what you might call "unfocused" shopping; people are only trying on glasses they really think they might get. A few times a week some dingus still tries on 40 pairs of glasses and leaves me with a ton of cleaning, but that's the price of doing business now.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone getting complaints from patients about having to wear masks in the office? I've had a bit of grumbling telling me I'm being ridiculous. I also have older people who just don't get it. They pull the mask down to talk to me or have it falling under their nose and then get upset about pulling it up. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the situation. I am high risk and am not messing around. They wear a mask or don't come in. I also feel like I will be wearing a mask to measure people even when this goes away. If it helps keep me from getting the flu, it's worth it. I got the flu from a patient one year and it was horrible! (and yes, I had the shot but it was a different strain then the vaccine)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Anyone getting complaints from patients about having to wear masks in the office? I've had a bit of grumbling telling me I'm being ridiculous. I also have older people who just don't get it. They pull the mask down to talk to me or have it falling under their nose and then get upset about pulling it up. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the situation. I am high risk and am not messing around. They wear a mask or don't come in. I also feel like I will be wearing a mask to measure people even when this goes away. If it helps keep me from getting the flu, it's worth it. I got the flu from a patient one year and it was horrible! (and yes, I had the shot but it was a different strain then the vaccine)
    I just ignore people that say something about it.

I make it very clear to people, follow the rules or GTFO, in so many words. No ones business is worth dying over.

Thread Information