Thread: Thoughts on these supposed BS optician lines.

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thoughts on these supposed BS optician lines.

https://www.retrofocuseyewear.com/bl...-your-optician

What are your thoughts?

*edit* for some reason, the entire link won't post, here goes:

I've been selling eyewear since 2001. I am not an optician but I've learned a lot about eyewear and the ophthalmic industry through my business and what it takes to run it successfully. When you walk into your neighborhood optician's office with your own frames, this is what they commonly tell you :
    10) These lenses are glued in. Can't take them out without risking damage to the frame. Lenses are never glued into a frame.
    9) These are reading glasses. We can't take the lenses out. So, they're reading glasses, why can't you take the lenses out?
    8) These are reading glasses (while pointing to the diopter printed on the inside of the frame)The frame is not 'optical' quality. All plastic frames are optical quality. If the lens opening has a grove, it will hold a lens. It all depends if the optician is willing to forfeit the profit from selling his own eyewear to you.
    7) We're not responsible if these frames break while we try to put your prescription into them. Unless the technician is totally incompetent, or just plain greedy, there is no reason why the frame should break while in their hands.
    6) We tried taking the lenses out and we couldn't. Someone put the lenses in. Someone can take the lenses out. And to add to this one, my buyer sent me her glasses with those 'unremovable' lenses, and I removed them without a hitch. I have a frame warmer and I know how to use it. I'm not a technician. I can teach a 6 year old how to remove lenses from any frame.
    5) On rimless frames where the hinges and bridge are attached to the lenses with nuts and bolts, a Walmart technician told my eyewear buyer that they couldn't drill holes into the buyer's new lenses for the frame they purchased from me. So what does the technician do? Shows my buyer their selection of rimless frames. And he bought a pair. This frame is sent to a lab, where they will cut new lenses and drill holes into them and attach them to this Walmart purchased frame. Now tell me. Why couldn't they do it with the frame they purchased from me? Hmmmm......
    4) I was trying to get my optometrist to measure my PD and she said she couldn't since I wasn't getting my glasses through the clinic. That's just to frustrate you in the hopes of you throwing up your hands and just letting them fill your lenses. They want your business and they know you're taking your frames to ReplaceALens.com for your lens needs and paying 2/3rds less for them too.
    3) This is a 'cold insert' frame. I cannot put your lenses into these. Ok, an 'intelligent' sounding term that means this frame does not expand or contract when a frame warmer is used on it. The only false part of this statement is when a buyer hands them an acetate/plastic frame (which our buyer had given them). ALL plastics expand and contract when heat is applied to them. The amount of heat needed takes an experienced technician who knows how to use a frame warmer, and knows their eyewear.
    2) I was charged for a copy of my prescription, or they won't give it to me. This practice is illegal, as charging patients for copies of their contact lens or frame prescription is not permitted under federal law. The Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) "Prescription Release Rule" requires eye doctors to give you your eyeglass prescription, at no extra cost, immediately after an eye exam.
    And the best bs reason of all:

1) There are no numbers on this frame, so I don't know what size they are. I can't put your rx into them. Seriously Doc? Don't you know how to use a metric ruler? You measure the lens width, bridge width and length of the temple. That's the size of the frame. Shame on you for even having the balls to say something so idiotic. If you found this blog entry informative, 'like' our Facebookpage
    Last edited by Lawman Nick; 05-15-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bit. I left a few words as a comment to her Facebook post, hopefully it leads to some constructive dialogue.

To find it faster:

https://www.facebook.com/RetroFocusE...36508773079380

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find uneducated generalizations irritating. Experience is just that, after 35 years I've seen and experienced a few things. Compared to my sixth year of experience, there is a huge difference. I may not use all my knowledge everyday, but at least I have it.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What in the Optical world is that crap ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman Nick View Post
    https://www.retrofocuseyewear.com/bl...-your-optician

What are your thoughts?

*edit* for some reason, the entire link won't post, here goes:

I've been selling eyewear since 2001. I am not an optician but I've learned a lot about eyewear and the ophthalmic industry through my business and what it takes to run it successfully. When you walk into your neighborhood optician's office with your own frames, this is what they commonly tell you :
    10) These lenses are glued in. Can't take them out without risking damage to the frame. Lenses are never glued into a frame.
    9) These are reading glasses. We can't take the lenses out. So, they're reading glasses, why can't you take the lenses out?
    8) These are reading glasses (while pointing to the diopter printed on the inside of the frame)The frame is not 'optical' quality. All plastic frames are optical quality. If the lens opening has a grove, it will hold a lens. It all depends if the optician is willing to forfeit the profit from selling his own eyewear to you.
    7) We're not responsible if these frames break while we try to put your prescription into them. Unless the technician is totally incompetent, or just plain greedy, there is no reason why the frame should break while in their hands.
    6) We tried taking the lenses out and we couldn't. Someone put the lenses in. Someone can take the lenses out. And to add to this one, my buyer sent me her glasses with those 'unremovable' lenses, and I removed them without a hitch. I have a frame warmer and I know how to use it. I'm not a technician. I can teach a 6 year old how to remove lenses from any frame.
    5) On rimless frames where the hinges and bridge are attached to the lenses with nuts and bolts, a Walmart technician told my eyewear buyer that they couldn't drill holes into the buyer's new lenses for the frame they purchased from me. So what does the technician do? Shows my buyer their selection of rimless frames. And he bought a pair. This frame is sent to a lab, where they will cut new lenses and drill holes into them and attach them to this Walmart purchased frame. Now tell me. Why couldn't they do it with the frame they purchased from me? Hmmmm......
    4) I was trying to get my optometrist to measure my PD and she said she couldn't since I wasn't getting my glasses through the clinic. That's just to frustrate you in the hopes of you throwing up your hands and just letting them fill your lenses. They want your business and they know you're taking your frames to ReplaceALens.com for your lens needs and paying 2/3rds less for them too.
    3) This is a 'cold insert' frame. I cannot put your lenses into these. Ok, an 'intelligent' sounding term that means this frame does not expand or contract when a frame warmer is used on it. The only false part of this statement is when a buyer hands them an acetate/plastic frame (which our buyer had given them). ALL plastics expand and contract when heat is applied to them. The amount of heat needed takes an experienced technician who knows how to use a frame warmer, and knows their eyewear.
    2) I was charged for a copy of my prescription, or they won't give it to me. This practice is illegal, as charging patients for copies of their contact lens or frame prescription is not permitted under federal law. The Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) "Prescription Release Rule" requires eye doctors to give you your eyeglass prescription, at no extra cost, immediately after an eye exam.
    And the best bs reason of all:

1) There are no numbers on this frame, so I don't know what size they are. I can't put your rx into them. Seriously Doc? Don't you know how to use a metric ruler? You measure the lens width, bridge width and length of the temple. That's the size of the frame. Shame on you for even having the balls to say something so idiotic. If you found this blog entry informative, 'like' our Facebookpage
    #10-- I have indeed encountered 50s-era semi-rimless frames in which the lenses were, more or less, glued into the frame (esp. many Amor styles).
    #9-- Many over-the-counter readers lack screws and have lenses that were soldered into the frame. No, you cannot remove the lenses on these.
    #8-- Many plastic OTC readers only have a groove fit for the particular RX strength currently in them. Attempts to put a higher plus or any minus lens in may/will probably fail
    #7-- Tell this to the patients bringing in flimsy 10+ year old frames that are either made from brittle, poorly-maintained zyl or monel. The greatest optician in the world can still bust an old and/or poorly cared for frame
    #6-- See #7. They may be a responsible optician fearful of breaking the fame
    #5-- Depending on the quality of lab being used, the technicians may only be familiar with/have the technology to do pressure-mount frames. I prefer screw mount myself but I understand that most lab techs today are only familiar with pressure mount
    #4-- True
    #3-- I don't even know where to begin here.
    #2-- True
    #1-- True

The smugness in some of these is overpowering.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The writer of the blog from which the list comes owns a place which sells OTC readers and vintage frames. Her store doesn't edge lenses, and she probably has had to deal with a lot of situations when a person took a frame they bought at her place to their regular optician and was told one of the things from the list. I disagree strongly with a few of the assertions in he list. Perhaps she should edge and mount a few thousand pairs of OTC readers and vintage eyeglasses before making such statements.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, amateurs gonna amateur.

Thread Information