Thread: An opticians point of view

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

An opticians point of view

An opticians point of view...
    As a businessman and an optician, I find myself at odds with some of my colleagues thoughts when it comes to advancing our profession.
    I have always been a progressive minded person which has helped me succeed over the past 30 years since I opened my office.
    I never understand when opticians proudly promote how all they need is a pd ruler, a pupilometer and a .99 cent sharpie when taking measurements. I’ve heard from some how accurate they are using just a pd ruler and never understood their resistant to change with today’s technology.

I must disclose I am a customer and an advocate for Optikam and teach opticians how to use this technology.

I now see so many opticians looking to put a shield on their pupilometer or figuring out how to Use their sharpie and PD stick when taking heights. I hope for the safety of themselves and for the patients they are assisting they now look into a more safer, modern way of doing business. Patients can very easily see another reason to buy eyeglasses on line.

Opticians need to realize how important perceptions is and how competitive the eyeglass industry is today.
    The status quo approach to business is a failed approach. How many successful business do you know still do business as they did 30 years ago?
    The biggest mistake Opticians can
    make is if their patients see glasses as a commodity. Customers need to see you are concerned for their safety and what separates you from your competition.
    Patients need to see the “ why “ when purchasing their eyewear at your office. Many offices invest in their front desk, pre test and exam room but not in the optical. With the advancement in lenses today and the need for social distancing, using a digital measuring device is a must!!!
    Don’t let your patients have a reason to shop elsewhere!!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    An opticians point of view...
    As a businessman and an optician, I find myself at odds with some of my colleagues thoughts when it comes to advancing our profession.
    I have always been a progressive minded person which has helped me succeed over the past 30 years since I opened my office.
    I never understand when opticians proudly promote how all they need is a pd ruler, a pupilometer and a .99 cent sharpie when taking measurements. I’ve heard from some how accurate they are using just a pd ruler and never understood their resistant to change with today’s technology.

I must disclose I am a customer and an advocate for Optikam and teach opticians how to use this technology.

I now see so many opticians looking to put a shield on their pupilometer or figuring out how to Use their sharpie and PD stick when taking heights. I hope for the safety of themselves and for the patients they are assisting they now look into a more safer, modern way of doing business. Patients can very easily see another reason to buy eyeglasses on line.

Opticians need to realize how important perceptions is and how competitive the eyeglass industry is today.
    The status quo approach to business is a failed approach. How many successful business do you know still do business as they did 30 years ago?
    The biggest mistake Opticians can
    make is if their patients see glasses as a commodity. Customers need to see you are concerned for their safety and what separates you from your competition.
    Patients need to see the “ why “ when purchasing their eyewear at your office. Many offices invest in their front desk, pre test and exam room but not in the optical. With the advancement in lenses today and the need for social distancing, using a digital measuring device is a must!!!
    Don’t let your patients have a reason to shop elsewhere!!!
    Preach it brother!!! lol...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I say that once there is enough peer reviewed evidence, one should use the best available technology, if it is a reasonable investment for the business. Before that, it would be a foolish choice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’ve never used the Optikam system, however I’ve used other Position of Wear systems. Knowing everything you can about POW lenses and measuring systems will add value to your business.

However, you must also learn how to present the benefits of these lenses, and the benefits of the measuring system. You must also learn how to present yourself. The presentation of yourself, your business and your products is an all encompassing part of POW .

I have never regretted this learning process. I have seen the success of POW in practise. I wouldn’t dream of opening a practise without POW equipment and positive attitude staff who know the value of presentation.

I have also seen the effect of negativity and skepticism, those and yourself are your worst enemies.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great post Opticianjw. While I agree with you 100%, sadly I'm limitted to what our doctors will provide us with. I still can't get more memory for out computers to make them a little faster. I have a few friends who are still running Windows 7 even though it's not HIPPA compliant becuase the doctors they work for don't want to upgrade. Wierd world we live in.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That’s an unfortunate situation you are in. Some doctors or opticians are not the best businessman/business women but for your sake I hope they are at least compassionate and care about your and their patients wellbeing. They need to at least invest in proper protection for you and the patients they serve.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    Great post Opticianjw. While I agree with you 100%, sadly I'm limitted to what our doctors will provide us with. I still can't get more memory for out computers to make them a little faster. I have a few friends who are still running Windows 7 even though it's not HIPPA compliant becuase the doctors they work for don't want to upgrade. Wierd world we live in.

In reality, you are not limited by the Drs. You are only limited by yourself and your decision to stay with those Drs . That is the sad part.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    In reality, you are not limited by the Drs. You are only limited by yourself and your decision to stay with those Drs . That is the sad part.
    I couldn't disagree more strongly. One is limited by many things, including finances, opportunities, needs of ones family, etc... to make it sound like one can just up and leave a job and find one that is better is exceedingly arrogant, short sighted, and misguided, especially in the context of our current economic climate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    I couldn't disagree more strongly. One is limited by many things, including finances, opportunities, needs of ones family, etc... to make it sound like one can just up and leave a job and find one that is better is exceedingly arrogant, short sighted, and misguided, especially in the context of our current economic climate.

Tell that story of yours to Elon Musk (Tesla) Jeff Bezos (Amazon) and hundreds of other entrepreneurs Del Vecchio (Luxottica), Warby Parker, Zenni, Thomas Edison, Ford, I wonder if they would agree with you?

Better yet tell your story to all the single mothers who have raised children on their own and still gotten their own education credentials and started their own business.

Only you can accept your present situation or choose another path.

Corona Virus alone proves you wrong. How many people worldwide have just up and walked away from their jobs and closed their businesses ?

You can choose to safely dispense glasses with modern measuring systems , you can increase revenues employing these systems and showing patients the benefits and letting the Patient choose whats right for their vision .

Or like an unnamed politician, you can choose to blame all your problems on someone else or something else.

You do have the choice. Optikam is one of those choices . Where you choose to work is another choice. Personally I chose to learn POW measuring and POW dispensing and I have no regrets about NOT limiting myself. I changed employers to learn it and cities.

“I can’t” is a limiter,

”I can” is a motivator

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And there are other places to work, a described above. It is time for Opticians to use "I can."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh I mean I'm not complaining. The fact they let me take off whatever time I need for school is what attracts me here. It's hard to find a job where I can basically switch shifts every four months. When I graduate school next semester, hopefully I'll already be accept to optometry school. Got to have those letters of recommedations. Once that is decided it will be time to move on

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    Oh I mean I'm not complaining. The fact they let me take off whatever time I need for school is what attracts me here. It's hard to find a job where I can basically switch shifts every four months. When I graduate school next semester, hopefully I'll already be accept to optometry school. Got to have those letters of recommedations. Once that is decided it will be time to move on
    That flexibility is important for now then.

I hope you will have the opportunity to work in other practises before graduating where you can experience the benefits of Optikam and POW dispensing at its best.
    Properly presented these systems are worth while and worth their weight in gold.

Good Luck

Thread Information