Thread: Taking a year off in the middle of my Apprenticeship in NJ.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Taking a year off in the middle of my Apprenticeship in NJ.

I am currently finishing my first year of school as an Optician Apprentice in NJ. I have an opportunity to through hike the Pacific Crest Trail with my best friend in 2022. If i go i would miss the spring semester, and the missed classes are not available in the fall semester. Essentially taking the time off will set me back a year.

Originally we were going to hike after i was licensed, but things just worked for him that 2022 is going to be the year he can go.

If i take a year off can i still get licensed? Im not in any hurry to get licensed, but i don't want to kill my chances either.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi vab, welcome to the forum. What an opportunity! I can’t answer your licensing question, ( but I’m sure all your time will go towards it). But even if it didn’t, how cool to have a once in a lifetime experience! Believe me, being an Optician is boring comparatively. (45 years in..) Enjoy your trip and enjoy life!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We live just a few miles from the PCT in Southern Oregon. Through hikers are usually on the trail for six months. Y'all want to be in good shape and join the Pacific Crest Trail Organization. www.pcta.org

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Hi vab, welcome to the forum. What an opportunity! I can’t answer your licensing question, ( but I’m sure all your time will go towards it). But even if it didn’t, how cool to have a once in a lifetime experience! Believe me, being an Optician is boring comparatively. (45 years in..) Enjoy your trip and enjoy life!
    I know. I'm very excited. NJ is a very strict state when it comes to licensing. Obviously the trail will always be there, but i think it will be a lot more fun with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    We live just a few miles from the PCT in Southern Oregon. Through hikers are usually on the trail for six months. Y'all want to be in good shape and join the Pacific Crest Trail Organization. www.pcta.org
    Thanks rbaker! I do plan on joining the pcta, and training starts as soon as the gyms open back up. Ive been planing this for years and i have done my homework. I just didnt think i would be able to do it until after school.

Thread Information