Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post corona19 virus Recommendations.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post corona19 virus Recommendations.

1) Either sanitize the frames after being tried on or rotate them off display for 3 to 4 days.

2) pre adjust glasses at fitting which will help to limit the contact again at dispensing.

3) do not allow browsing customers while measuring or dispensing eyewear. Unless your optical can social distance during a sale.

4) sell frames off the board when you have a sale.

5) if you are measuring manually this might be difficult but if you are taking measurements with

an electronic device, remove lenses. This will prevent the lenses from fogging up during the measurement process.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are some affordable electronic measuring devices?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The iPad app and devise I use is affordable, is very easy to use and give you accurate measurements.
    Some iPad apps I've tried are worthless or have been very time consuming.
    The optikampad I use I would highly recommend.
    i have to disclose besides being a customer of theirs and an advocate for the product I also teach opticians how to use their technology.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    The iPad app and devise I use is affordable, is very easy to use and give you accurate measurements.
    Some iPad apps I've tried are worthless or have been very time consuming.
    The optikampad I use I would highly recommend.
    i have to disclose besides being a customer of theirs and an advocate for the product I also teach opticians how to use their technology.

Thank you for your reply. Is this something we simply download onto our ipad from the app store?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes it is a download from the App Store but you will need to purchase a license from optikam to allow you to register the license. They will send you the device that is used for the measurements and an enclosure for your iPad.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    On our pupillometer, we taped a clear sheet of plastic to hang down as a breath shield between user and patient.

Better than nothing, and cheap.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Opticianjw, I second all your ideas, but allow me to throw out a discussion point about #4.

4) sell frames off the board when you have a sale.

Should we sell frames off the board or should we order from the manufacturer?
    Reason I pose this question is because there is good and bad perspectives on what to do, and just spit balling thoughts on how to best approach valid concerns versus nitpicky patients.

BAD:
    1) The cost of buying frames continually
    2) Additional/increased shipping charges
    3) Increased turn around time for patients orders (if the frame is even available or on slight back order)
    4) Enables patients to ask now and later on for "fresh/clean" frames as if the frames on the board are "dirty" or just demo frames.
    5) Frame reps/companies may be particular about returning frames that are "damaged" due to cleaning procedures.

GOOD:
    1) Those with concerns about the consistent trying on of frames (even with cleaning, some might think there is a risk to their health) a frame ordered is a simple way to alleviate that concern and show you are looking out for them.
    2) With the frames that are cleaned, there is a risk of frames becoming scuffed, marred, or damaged in a way that makes them less desirable to a patient. Ordering a new one shows you want to give the best quality product to a patient
    3) If you carry a brand that offers free shipping no matter how many frames are ordered, use this as an opportunity to promote that line/brand to encourage sales for the next month or so.

Again, I'm just tossing out thoughts because I can see where some patients will have valid (to them) concerns.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk- I like that idea ! It is better than nothing. Thanks :)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    self delete

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    On our pupillometer, we taped a clear sheet of plastic to hang down as a breath shield between user and patient.

Is anyone using a face shield? I saw that Safilo is manufacturing them and will allow orders at the end of the week but not ship until June. I am in the high risk category and was wondering if this was a good idea. I requested shields that attach to the pupilometer and they are on order. My office has provided the cheap thin non surgical masks to use, but I don't feel great about the protection they offer. (Lots of gapping and thin!) Just wondering if ordering some of those face shields would be a good idea. I feel like there is not much protection when it comes to measuring SH.

As far as frame cleaning goes, we were told by several frame manufacturers to use 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide and water solution. My office tried to get the wipes but none are available so we are making our own. Spray bottles and solution has been ordered, but still not received. Until I have proper protection, I don't feel comfortable working that close to patients. Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Thank you!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ordered face shields from Optisource or Hilco....I can't remember off the top of my head right now but we received them in a timely manner and we have them ready for when we start seeing patients again. I also just ordered this dispensing "sneeze shield" today. It looks well designed and versatile so I'm looking forward to getting it and putting it to the test.

https://www.emc2store.com/

As far as the pupilometer goes I used a sheet of sticky OTC clear laminating plastic, folded it in half leaving about 1/4 inch of sticky edge exposed. It stuck nicely to the bottom of the pupilometer and I just trimmed it to fit and look a little more "finished".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgirl View Post
    I ordered face shields from Optisource or Hilco....I can't remember off the top of my head right now but we received them in a timely manner and we have them ready for when we start seeing patients again. I also just ordered this dispensing "sneeze shield" today. It looks well designed and versatile so I'm looking forward to getting it and putting it to the test.

https://www.emc2store.com/

As far as the pupilometer goes I used a sheet of sticky OTC clear laminating plastic, folded it in half leaving about 1/4 inch of sticky edge exposed. It stuck nicely to the bottom of the pupilometer and I just trimmed it to fit and look a little more "finished".
    Wow! Thank you for the information! I had no idea such things existed.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Wow! Thank you for the information! I had no idea such things existed.
    Also, check our Dynamic Labs if Hilco or Optisource is out of what you're looking for....I may have even gotten those face shields from them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm curious as to what new policies/procedures/protocols have you guys implemented in your offices in regards to your staff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm curious as to what new policies/procedures/protocols have you guys implemented in your offices in regards to your staff.
    Right now our optical is closed. We are still waiting for supplies to come in for optical. We ordered H2O2 to make a spray solution to clean frames after patient tries on. (we were unable to get wipes). All patients will be required to wear masks and gloves. Our office did provide paper masks, however they are a very poor fit and for a smaller person like me, they gap a lot on the sides. Even with the metal above the nose, they are big. I did make a request that my office manager order a shield for the pupilometer and that is on order. Other than masks and gloves and some saniwipes, nothing else was provided for optical unless I asked for it. I'm quite concerned about the poor fitting masks and am trying to look into other options.

In our Ophthalmology practice, they have a limited schedule right now of emergencies and medical needs only. Schedule is spread out to reduce the amount of patients in the office. Staff is scheduled to work half time (every other day) to reduce the amount of people in office. Door is locked and patients have to knock and be let in. Only patient allowed in, no family members. All patients must wear masks.

How does everyone that is NOT an owner or manager feel? Do you feel like owner/managers are taking YOUR protection seriously? Just curious.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wear quality mask and gloves.

The coronavirus primarily spreads from person to person and not easily from a contaminated surface. That is the takeaway from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which this month updated its “How COVID-19 Spreads” website.

The revised guidance now states, in headline-size type, “The virus spreads easily between people.” It also notes that the coronavirus, which causes the disease covid-19, “is spreading very easily and sustainably between people.”

The CDC made another key change to its website, clarifying what sources are not major risks. Under the new heading “The virus does not spread easily in other ways,” the agency explains that touching contaminated objects or surfaces does not appear to be a significant mode of transmission. The same is true for exposure to infected animals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-22-2020 at 12:16 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've been cleaning our frames with a 50/50 H2O2/H2O spray. I don't feel good doing that. I'm sure the chances of transmission at this point is low, but still feel like there might be an area we are missing when we clean. I spray them like crazy. That being said, I just ordered a UV sanitizer. It is a box and I will be putting the frames in it. 6 min and they are clean and ready to go. I feel better about doing this as I feel like I won't miss spots since it has UV on all sides. In addition, We are going to have a clean room that is an area closed off by a clear plastic shower curtain where patients can go to try on without a mask. We have high ceilings, so I feel like the air won't be "trapped" in there. I plan to lysol the you know what out of the area when the patient is done. The nice thing about the area we have is that it is large (8'x8' square with 15' ceilings). Also, it is completely surrounded by windows and the patient can have a friend stand outside and give opinions. (Our office is located inside a medical facility so one wall is windows to the outside and 2 walls are windows to an atrium. We only have 1 non-glass wall here). I feel that will work well. As far as PD and SH... They wear a mask... I wear 2 masks and I ordered a shield. Also gloves. Might look into Phone App or ipad app. Not sure yet. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I am in a high risk category and this whole thing is FREAKING ME OUT! I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to keep a little wine in my office mini fridge

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I submerge frames & patient's glasses in hydrogen peroxide to make sure all nooks & crannies are not missed. Thinking of using peroxide in ultrasonic cleaning tank...any reason not to?
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To tighten fit of mask, twist the elastic before putting it on.
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    I submerge frames & patient's glasses in hydrogen peroxide to make sure all nooks & crannies are not missed. Thinking of using peroxide in ultrasonic cleaning tank...any reason not to?
    Taking this idea. I see no reason not to, and it makes me feel a lot better getting the nooks and crannies. We have to think of frames differently than other stuff. You can see them fog up when people have them on. They clearly have their breath on them, unlike pens or packages at the grocery store. I also got a UV box for when I need to clean the lenses too. Stick the whole thing in. As far as dunking the glasses into H2O2, it isn't recommended for the lenses. I don't care about demos, but what about a nice pair of Maui Jim's? I wouldn't want the lenses in the solution, so anything like that, I'll use the UV box. I also purchased a small UV box for myself for home. Nice to clean keys and phone with.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When using H202 in the ultrasonic are you diluting 50/50?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When using H202 in the ultrasonic are you diluting 50/50?
    Yes

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The latest news I read Thursday has updated advice about how transmittable covid-19 is:

"But with COVID-19, experts say to keep the risk in perspective: The virus is fragile and doesn’t survive easily outside the body for long. Early studies finding it could linger on surfaces for days used large viral loads and were in laboratory conditions, not the real world. Other tests might just detect remnants of the virus, rather than live virus capable of infecting people.

Viruses also don’t leap off surfaces to infect people, and infection would require a sequence of events: There would have to be enough surviving virus on whatever the person is touching, the person would have to get it on their hands, then touch their mouth, nose or eyes."

https://apnews.com/article/wiping-do...134d4885e394e1

So be aware masks, hand washing and social distancing are the real keys to lessening the risk of catching and spreading the virus.

I will let patients take their mask down and look at their face but ask they not talk and consciously stay back from them for the minute that it's looking for a host. I also wear a medical grade N95 mask.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-28-2020 at 10:19 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

We had one that came with that many years ago.

Thread Information