Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm in a fog

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Also heard rubbing a cut potato on the surface does the same thing (polished clean afterwards of course). *shrug*
    This is a Maine potato farmers trick for the old field truck with broken wipers as the rain closed in. Surface must be dry. It caused the water to sheet.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    This is a Maine potato farmers trick for the old field truck with broken wipers as the rain closed in. Surface must be dry. It caused the water to sheet.
    Interesting. I wonder how it works?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dark Po-TAY-to magic says I!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how it works?
    My guess would be the starch creates a film that keeps water from beading the way Rain-X works.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe Rain-X does the opposite - filling in micro pits in the surface, increasing the contact angle, and encouraging shedding of large drops of water. Fog-X (by the same company I believe) does the opposite as I understand it, and would be the magical mystery potato juice analogy, right? ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I believe Rain-X does the opposite - filling in micro pits in the surface, increasing the contact angle, and encouraging shedding of large drops of water. Fog-X (by the same company I believe) does the opposite as I understand it, and would be the magical mystery potato juice analogy, right? ;)
    We are now stocking the "Cat Crap" in the spray bottle at $7.50 per. don@superoptical.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    Even the ones that have the caps? Hmm. I guess so since it's technically sewn in. Can't seal around the valve tightly enough. Thanks Dan!
    I have a small supply of masks with vents - I first tried scotch tape to seal up the vent ( from the inside ). That only lasts a few hours and then starts to peel off.

When I switched to the clear packing tape that we used on boxes we are shipping that works great. I just cut a small square that covers the valve and stick it on ( inside the mask ). I have done several of those so far, it hasn't fallen off. The vent remains sealed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Global_Optical View Post
    I have a small supply of masks with vents - I first tried scotch tape to seal up the vent ( from the inside ). That only lasts a few hours and then starts to peel off.

When I switched to the clear packing tape that we used on boxes we are shipping that works great. I just cut a small square that covers the valve and stick it on ( inside the mask ). I have done several of those so far, it hasn't fallen off. The vent remains sealed.
    Just be careful when doing this. Those masks were designed to have the vents operational. If any staff members suddenly get a headache or feel lightheaded/faint, have them take a break with their mask off, it means their blood O2 levels have dropped from insufficient ventilation.

Insufficient ventilation is a known issue with masks, especially certain N95 types that don't conform tightly to the face. They have a certain "dead air" space in them that can cause trapping of exhaled CO2, which results in higher blood CO2 levels and lower O2 levels. A recently published, peer-reviewed study that tracked doctors that had to wear N95 masks for an extended period of time has blood O2 levels drop as low as 85, which is quite bad, since manifestations of low blood oxygen start to appear below 92 for most people.

The rule I have seen adopted in most medical facilities is if you wear you mask for 2 hours, you take 10 minutes in an open environment (outside, etc...) without the mask on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by grudyfan13 View Post
    A very low-tech hack to prevent fogging that I learned from an optical Facebook group: tissue. Take a Kleenex or about 4 squares of TP (if you're able to spare it) and fold it a couple of times before inserting it behind your mask. I put mine along the top of the nasal ridge and the tissue sits low enough to be over my mouth. This allows the tissue to absorb most of the warm air and has eliminated nearly all of the fogging of my glasses.
    Folded tissue works...I leave some overhang outside the mask & staple the whole thing to the mask...no fuss, no muss, no readjusting.
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, we are seeing more masks, not less. Mask-o-mania.

I stayed out of the antifog business, but I think it's time to reconsider.

I heard from a lab that essilor just revamped the product 2 days ago. https://www.essilor.com/en/brands-an...ti-fog-lenses/

I've been told that it's applied to poly in the Dallas (Plano) Essilor mothership. I have little understanding as to whether it's compatible with their A.R.s. Of course it's not applicable to non-E lenses. Not covered under VCPs. (Good.)

Supposed to not need an activator spray.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’m telling you that Fog Stopper from Dynamics is the best. MSRP is $24. The coating lasts about 3-5 days and one bottle has 60 applications. It’s awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I’m telling you that Fog Stopper from Dynamics is the best. MSRP is $24. The coating lasts about 3-5 days and one bottle has 60 applications. It’s awesome.
    Agree, it works...also applied it to slit lamp oculars, lensometer ....good stuff!
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bought me some.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Bought me some.
    Great!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I am buying some today, although a bag of potatoes is cheaper.

Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We got our Fog Stopper last week so I have been applying it to new dispenses and letting them know we have it...so far so good, people are asking us for it. Personally I think it works better than anything else we've tried. And if anyone is on the fence about it ask your rep for a sample bottle...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At first I wasn't applying it to new dispenses to save a bit of money but then people started to fog and take their masks off so now I put it on all of them. Safer.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have Fog Stopper...

...AND I'M NO LONGER IN A FOG!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, another fog problem...shields. Being high risk, I have been wearing a N95 (a little big and not fit tested) and a shield on top. My shield is a foam band one and is snug. I find that a lot of patients have their masks fall down as I work with them, and thought this would be more protective. (I don't think it is intentional but poor fitting masks.) Anyway, my shield fogs up so bad! I did try the fog stopper on it, but it isn't a real lens and the surface is so cheap it doesn't work. Today I had a friend give me a shield that is open at the top and has no foam on it. I'm thinking the open space above the shield will help, but haven't tried it yet. Just thought I would post my experience in case someone else is dealing with the same issue.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
    Im using 3M Safety 8511 Respirator mask and it's actually very comfortable and breathable, espacially, it cant fog up my glasses. thats the best thing that I like it.
    That's a great mask for sweeping the garage. Not useful for covid. The vent means your breath is streaming out unfiltered. The main benefit of wearing a mask is so that if you have covid -especially early, when you don't even know it- the mask catches most of the droplets so you are not spreading it around so much.

There is some protection for you, the wearer, but not all that much.

I have used similar masks but sealed the exhaust valve with shipping tape. Works, but the people around you will not know you did that so may assume you are spraying them with viruses.

OptiBoard Professional brucekrymow's Avatar
    Occupation
    My favorite mask, the most breathable, comfortable face covering available I've used thus far.

Never, Ever Fogs, 99.99% Breathable, 100% Compliant:

Meets 100% Compliance Rules Everywhere:

1. Must be a mask
    2. Must cover your mouth from nose to chin

Meets All of the Same Medical Certifications for all other Cloth Masks:
    1. None whatsoever

Here are some mesh masks which are not at all obvious, especially if you get a pattern:

Optivision, Inc.
    LMS Lab Software
    Remote Tracing/Edging

602.277.2614 x2

www.optivision.com
    www.digitaltrace.net
    bruce@optivision.com

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just ordered a large quantity of fog wipes from Progear. Hilco had them and worked quite well, but they have been out of stock for some time now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by brucekrymow View Post
    My favorite mask, the most breathable, comfortable face covering available I've used thus far.

Never, Ever Fogs, 99.99% Breathable, 100% Compliant:

Meets 100% Compliance Rules Everywhere:

1. Must be a mask
    2. Must cover your mouth from nose to chin

Meets All of the Same Medical Certifications for all other Cloth Masks:
    1. None whatsoever

Here are some mesh masks which are not at all obvious, especially if you get a pattern:
    This is sarcastic right?

OptiBoard Professional brucekrymow's Avatar
    Occupation
    They are 100% real. We have both of these as well as a plethora of others, including cloth, N95, P100, and even NIOSH FFRs our fam used in the very beginning. We utilize what seems most prudent considering the particular environment with which we may be exposed.

Optivision, Inc.
    LMS Lab Software
    Remote Tracing/Edging

602.277.2614 x2

www.optivision.com
    www.digitaltrace.net
    bruce@optivision.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah I can tell they are real. I was just a bit surprised someone from this board would promote or support using them.

Thread Information