Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking eyeglass measurements and social distancing

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Taking eyeglass measurements and social distancing

Well the new guidelines are out for businesses and they are dictating to maintain a safe distance with the public. Although this could be difficult, there are solutions out there.
    Optikam just introduced their new measuring device called the OPD. It’s a device put on the glasses and an iPad app that enables you to take a picture with your iPad. The app then can accurately calculates all the eyeglass measurements with one picture while staying at a safe distance. This will make the optical compliant while lessening the customer’s anxiety when getting measured for new eyeglasses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    Well the new guidelines are out for businesses and they are dictating to maintain a safe distance with the public. Although this could be difficult, there are solutions out there.
    Optikam just introduced their new measuring device called the OPD. It’s a device put on the glasses and an iPad app that enables you to take a picture with your iPad. The app then can accurately calculates all the eyeglass measurements with one picture while staying at a safe distance. This will make the optical compliant while lessening the customer’s anxiety when getting measured for new eyeglasses.
    <**Pre-cursor**> I'm stressed out and cranky and waaaaaaaaaaay over all the virus B.S... So with that being said, he's my answer.

The govt can shove it with their stupid farking guidlines. They've tanked the economy and we've gone from the strongest economy in my lifetime to near depression and they think they're going to tell me how I'm going to take a seg height? What a joke. I've worked 100% full time normal hours though this whole mess. Business is down, but not as bad as I expected. I'm doing my very best to keep everything squeeky clean and giving customers extra space. I'm seeing plenty of NEW customers because most everyone else remains closed. This is all starting to feel like a real bad joke... and my patience is done. Screw the guidelines... let's get this damn country back to work.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quig, I love you, man.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Strategy ends when combat begins. -Duke of Wellington
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even if some opticians don’t fear this virus or don’t mind the risks, be assure many of your customer will. If you think business will look the same as it did before, I think you are in for a surprise!! If you address this with a status quo approach and do not make any changes in the way you do business, you might suffer the consequences. You need to be compassionate to those that are vulnerable, at risk or fearful and make the sensible decisions to allow you to succeed.

Sterilization, social distance, how far you are from your customers or how far they are from each other, and wearing masks or gloves are all things that need to be considered. These are all decisions that will either be dictated to us by law or by our own personal feelings. Our clientele, our business model, our personal beliefs will all be part of that decision but don’t take it lightly. it’s not only how you feel about the severity of this virus, it’s just as much about how your customers feels that will decide on where they will make their eyewear purchase!!
    Last edited by Opticianjw; 04-18-2020 at 08:44 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Smart Mirror from ACEP France does the work just about fine. And you get the following -
    Monocular PDs,
    Fitting Height,
    Panto,
    BVD, Wrap,
    Frame Dimensions A,B, DBL,
    Reading distance etc.

And the lens simulations shows the actual 3D of the lens shape on the eye wear it is measured upon. Yes, all at a safe distance. And only the optician need touch the iPad screen and just twice.

Disclaimer- I work as country manager for ACEP France and we have the top 500 independent opticians using this since the last 5 years now.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I relate very strongly to Quigs sentiments, paying 2/3rds of my staff to stay home while the rest of us work. But I wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to them. As irritable as I am about much of this situation (especially the parts that seem to be based less off hard science and more off reactionary decisions) - the bottom line is it isn't about ME and how I feel, its about patients and clients and how THEY feel - not to mention I am going to follow all state health guidelines to the letter of the law no matter what, because its the law.

I am extremely interested in what people are coming up with when it comes to frame cleaning, and measurement taking. I have some ideas I'm bouncing around but nothing I have is worthy to share I'm afraid.

Someone smarter than me give me the answer to this conundrum!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Not smarter, but this happens to be an area of science I know rather well.

UV-C light, it annihilates microbes, including COVID-19, literally in seconds

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0414173251.htm

Current UV-C sterilization is indeed harmful to humans, so your best bet is to use a closed apparatus that doesn't allow any light to leak, with a light and a timer.

There is a new UV-C technology that utilizes a narrowband 222 nm wavelength that decimates microbes, but it harmless to humans. It is not yet available.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 04-30-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just ordered something called a Germ Reaper UV wand.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I relate very strongly to Quigs sentiments, paying 2/3rds of my staff to stay home while the rest of us work. But I wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to them. As irritable as I am about much of this situation (especially the parts that seem to be based less off hard science and more off reactionary decisions) - the bottom line is it isn't about ME and how I feel, its about patients and clients and how THEY feel - not to mention I am going to follow all state health guidelines to the letter of the law no matter what, because its the law.

I am extremely interested in what people are coming up with when it comes to frame cleaning, and measurement taking. I have some ideas I'm bouncing around but nothing I have is worthy to share I'm afraid.

Someone smarter than me give me the answer to this conundrum!

Thanks for that bit of support TB, I appreciate it.

I've been thanked multiple times today for being open. The most moving thanks (and there were many of them) came from a 94 year old WWII veteran. He literally walked in the door saying how thankful he was that I was open. New customer, never met him before... He's a plus 4 or so, wearing a photochromic 7x28 trifocal in an old Marchon frame that has broken. While having a one hell of a fun conversation with him I cut down and worked to remount his lenses into a Safilo Elasta 7020. He could not have been happier. It was NOT an easy remount but I took my time, did the best I could and he was soooooooo pleased with the result. I got to hear his opinion on this crazy crisis we're living through, how society has changed, his upbringing on a farm and how it helped his family survived the Great Depression. He also recounted his time as a Ball-Turret Gunner in a B-17 in WWII and how thankful he was that the GI bill got him off the farm and into the classroom. He was a teacher, principle and school administrator and he IS a very, very fun 94 year old man to talk to. What a great way to start the day.... while everyone else is making excuses why we're not essential and should be staying home until the all-mighty, all-knowing, all-good (!?!?!?) govt tells us what we're allowed to do.

Btw, I think I used half a bottle of cleaner cleaning and disinfecting everything that man touched making sure I kept him as safe as I could. He laughed and blew it all off... What a guy.

C'mon folks, it's time to get back to normal even if it just for the sake of conversations just like that one. Not to mention the fact I earned a few bucks and made a new friend.

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    @Tallboy. I am cleaning frames with soap and water. We sing happy birthday to the frames twice and then dry with kaydrys. My understanding is that the soap breaks the virus membrane, killing it.

For measurements glove up, dot up, take PD as normal, Pupilometer. Both patient and staff wearing masks.

I have an optikam but it takes longer and still too variable for us

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Michael thank you. We are using soap water and time also. Obviously I am as concerned about the hard science of viruses dying as anyone. (soap has been effective for a long time, even with our massive leaps forward in medical tech soap, water flow, and the mold they found on bread are the reason the average life expectancy isn't 40 anymore)

Obviously we have to be aware of the way people perceive our care and service is as important now as ever. Hang in there, we are going to make it through this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I joined for some info on this very thing. We have been shut down for awhile, as we are not deemed essential in our state. So, with the thinking that we can re-open soon, I am a little leery of not being able to keep a bit of distance from patients. Does anyone know how much these devices like Optikam or Smart Mirror run? I am guessing big money since I don’t see pricing on the pages. Maybe we can all just wear face shields as well as masks....I feel myself smothering already! �� We are purchasing shields for the phoropter and slit lamp and for the window at the front desk.... How are you guys doing things?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The optikampad is a onetime purchase of 2,995.00 with no annual fees and support and update free for the life of the iPad.
    They also have a monthly subscription but that is only beneficial if you need more then 3 units per office.

in today’s environment that a small cost of doing business and patients appreciate when you invest in their safety!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just made some social distancing videos for my office that we will be putting in social media and our website. Staying ahead of the curve with safe, accurate and state of the art technology. Don’t know if I can paste them on the forum.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am using a face shield, mask, my pupilometer, and alcohol wipes. I am ready to get back to normal too but it's going to be a bit if ever before we get back to it. I used the optikam when I was working for a previous company but it was inaccurate in the measurements it took. What we discovered is that if we ended up taking pictures of the same person, same frame, exact same set up. We would get different measurements, I wasn't a fan.

Edit: And I will dot the lenses like always.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That seems unfortunate since I use it everyday on every patient with multiple opticians and it is much more accurate then manual measuring. I have seen some people mention they were having issues but it was because they were using it improperly.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can others with experience with optikam chime in on this - getting different measurements in different pictures of the same person when everything else is the same?

Quote Originally Posted by pneese View Post
    I am using a face shield, mask, my pupilometer, and alcohol wipes. I am ready to get back to normal too but it's going to be a bit if ever before we get back to it. I used the optikam when I was working for a previous company but it was inaccurate in the measurements it took. What we discovered is that if we ended up taking pictures of the same person, same frame, exact same set up. We would get different measurements, I wasn't a fan.

Edit: And I will dot the lenses like always.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone using an ipad app? Wonder how you felt about it. I used an optikam about one million years ago and didn't like it. I personally feel that with my decades of experience, I can do a better job. That being said, I feel like it is difficult to get a PD and SH through all this PPE!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I realize that there are public health guidelines in place today. I’m sure that they are all well intentioned, but I have issues with this six-foot rule. This just ain’t going to work for us old guys. Discharge nozzle too short and pressure too low.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 98466049_10158547004254040_3848209973305671680_n.jpg  

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We require everyone to wear a mask and limit the number of people in our office. Everyone that enters is immediately directed to a sink to wash their hands prior to anything else. I believe in hand washing more than wearing gloves.

Any frames that a patient tries on goes in a tray afterwards to be cleaned with soap and water.

I like the idea of a breath guard for the pupillometer. I will have to make one for ours.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used the OptikamPad for every patient measurement since sometime in 2013 with great results. Never an issue. The tools are only as good as the person using them. It's a great tool, but it isn't automatic, and it isn't idiot proof. You can certainly get some bad measurements from it if you don't use it correctly. But you could say the same for any other measurement method.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hydrogen peroxide kills this virus...any downside to submerging frames to disinfect?
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I would go with Optician Jw rather then Quig.We need to follow and accept the new normal.Maintaining social distance and wearing mask should be a part of our lives post Covid19.ECP those who are taking manual measurement for one or the other reasons should also wear face Sheild.Regarding disinfecting Frames, Sunglasses and instruments at large Hydrogen peroxide with 0.5 % concentration should be used as recommended by World leader in frames. As far as taking mesuresments with digital gazets is concerned Optikam and Acep both worka equally if person taking has sound knowlege of optics and take care of probable inherent eminimal errors.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I realize that there are public health guidelines in place today. I’m sure that they are all well intentioned, but I have issues with this six-foot rule. This just ain’t going to work for us old guys. Discharge nozzle too short and pressure too low.

Haha rbaker.

Your doing it wrong, you need to aim for the X on the wall and let gravity do its thing!

Thread Information