Thread: This Weeks Video: Electronic Measuring System

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This Weeks Video: Electronic Measuring System

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi John! Great video as always. Hey you repeteadly said you don't reccomend taking POW measurements manually. Is that because it is difficult to police all of one's employees? I take manual measurements (Though I did use the optikam at Lenscrafters 12 years ago - I know it is MUCH better these days)

I swear by POW measurements - though I do plenty of default ones as well, because unfortunately all my employees are not comfortable/skilled enough to use them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again - only my opinion - (well and some others too) - I seriously doubt 90+% of opticians would even know what the POW measurements are and why and how they would be used in a free-form lens design. If you don't even know the affect they have how can you understand how to and why you even bother taking them? In my opinion without the aid of an electronic device you are basically measuring against nothing, that is no fixed reference point to anchor your measurements from. It will never happen but I genuinely believe that if you gathered 100 opticians together at VEE and had them all do manual POW measurements on the same 10 people wearing the same 10 frames I bet you would get a 1000 different results and 99 out of the 100 opticians would swear that their's were right.

Add to all that (in bread-and-butter powers) the defaults result in an infinitesimal tweak to the lens design. Why risk screwing it up?

I could go on for hours ---- I find it is like religion and politics - people will believe what they believe and with few exceptions nothing will change their beliefs.

Notice I say 90+% yes, I suspect there are a handful of opticians that could probably get them right most of the time.

But for consistency and accuracy over time nothing beats a good electronic tool.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It’s good to know theory precisely.
    But do not feel the urge to apply that newfound precision to the real world of people and vision.
    It can end up being a lot of unneeded energy

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    But do not feel the urge to apply that newfound precision to the real world of people and vision.

Barry
    But those 18 millimeter vertexes and 0 degree pantos, not to mention the 2 degree wraps and the 12 degree wraps that occur for patient comfort and style of fit. Those people are remakes off the bat with standard position of wear (High RX and non-"standard" pow)

That being said Eyezen stuff seems to be the 2020 "Tillyer spherical lens" they are great. But peripheral vision isn't as good as well fit other lenses

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ho-hummmmmmmmmmmm

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

Barry
    Nobody's busy now, even me. I don't do the Facebook thing, let's talk (real world application) optics!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a lesson in salesmanship to be learned here which did not exist in the video. As much as the product was demonstrated, it was a 50/50 POV (point of view) which I believe did a disservice to POW products and measuring devices .

IMHO, and I believe in the benefits of POW, most opticians sell themselves and their services short. There are many aspects of this video I would edit and change.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think as opticians we need to progress with the industry and the new technology. Too many opticians look in the past rather then move into the future. The status quo approach is a failed business method for success. For us as a field or as a business we need to move forward. Opticians agree that the new lens designs are better, providing wider field and clearer vision. The more advanced lenses are designed to use the POW points of reference so why would you want or a customer want to pay for default/average measurements? Why would you not want to be more precise using the actual face form, vertex and panto angle. If we are trying to separate ourselves from our competitors or if we want to raise the level of care we provide, why wouldn’t you want to make this small investment in your optical? It takes very little time to get the measurements and I do not agree that this is unneeded energy. Do you ever wonder what customers think when they purchase these new highly advanced lens designs, when we take out a .99 cent sharpie and a pupilometer that we’ve been using for the past 30 years? Perception is an extremely important part of growing a business and patients seeing glasses as a commodity is a major mistake for many offices today.
    Last edited by Opticianjw; 04-06-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well said , Opticianjw, and having said that it mimics my thoughts on so much of what’s wrong with this video. The setting, backgrounds , background colours, clothing , clothing colours, lighting, the negativity, the misunderstanding of salesmanship and presentation techniques, the lack of how to explain and present it to the customer, the body language.

Failure is burying your head in the sands of past crumbling business architectures.

Success is the drive within us to succeed and pay attention to detail.
    Last edited by idispense; 04-07-2020 at 12:27 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This video was made by Laramy K which is an educational video for students looking to advance their career.
    it is done at a staged studio with a lab and a dispensing station. John and Kevin who produce these videos do an amazing job and should only be commended for their work and dedication to the field.
    This particular taping gives viewers a better understanding of what these measurements are needed for, the difference in measuring manually vs digital or electronically, and how to promote products visually.
    I think it is unfair to critique them for the aesthetics as this is not what the video is trying to represent or focus on. They are not structured to do on-site staged presentations with hired actors for these educational productions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    This video was made by Laramy K which is an educational video for students looking to advance their career.
    it is done at a staged studio with a lab and a dispensing station. John and Kevin who produce these videos do an amazing job and should only be commended for their work and dedication to the field.
    This particular taping gives viewers a better understanding of what these measurements are needed for, the difference in measuring manually vs digital or electronically, and how to promote products visually.
    I think it is unfair to critique them for the aesthetics as this is not what the video is trying to represent or focus on. They are not structured to do on-site staged presentations with hired actors for these educational productions.
    There are many contradictions with what you just said , please rethink the mixed message

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Johns Videos are top notch, everyone can do well to watch them. Even if only to learn how to teach the subject matter. Obviously I am more interested in some than others, but it is a great service regardless.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have only watched this one video and it is only to this one video that I comment. In my own opinion this did as much to dissuade than encourage. From personal experience with POW products they can be a great asset to any dispensary when they are put forth in the right light.

Each dispensary we work in is a stage and we are the hired actors upon that stage.

Our customers are influenced and will “Thin Slice” our stage, it begins right from the outside windows, logos and signage until they walk in , smell our scents, see our displays , experience our lighting and product , relate to our voices, dress and language including accents and body language And product presentation.

Selling ourselves short on any of these aspects , will not produce the desired results.

Ignore these and you sell yourself short and your product, your education and your profession.

Watch the video again. Re evaluate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Understanding POW , sets you apart and brings all of your optical training together in one place, that’s what makes you an Optician .. a Lexus in a parking lot of Chevettes.

POW is more than just a measuring system, it’s a complete presentation, a complete way of doing things.

I don’t believe a refraction should be seperate from a complete eye health examination and POW should not be seperate from its other elements necessary for its complete success.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is an example of the vast disparity of views in this industry. John and this wonderful lab have done many videos to help provide basic skill training for those who typically receive little to any. I have seen and recommended his work to many apprentices who seek my advice all over the country and they all appreciate his efforts. It costs them 0. I say to the folks who produce this work again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, for anyone to get on here and degrade his efforts without even looking at the other things they provide is a real shame. Do take a look and understand what he is trying to do. You have a right to your views, and I appreciate what you are saying. I want Opticians to do more, too. But they have to start somewhere, and right now the only requirement in 28 states to be an Optician is a pulse. This is one place to gain some level of basic understanding and then build on it with experience.

John, my friend, thank you for your good work, and I encourage you to keep on doing your thing. It is appreciated by most, and I know many who have benefitted for your efforts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I respect the nature and purpose of this video and the hard work necessary to put it together and I respect each of your viewpoints, however there is more to be learned here. Rewatch the video each of you, and as you go through it again or several times more , ask yourselves: “
    What techniques in this video would you use or not use if you were making a POW presentation to your own client in your own dispensary ? “

There is great value to rewatch and try your own approach.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey all...
    John here.
    Thanks for the support!

I've been letting this one ride a bit and seeing where it would go.
    Trust me with over 1.6 million views on YouTube I'm used to the occasional troll.
    It is our policy to not feed the trolls but ---

idispense: It is clearly stated what the intention of the video is in the first few minutes. It is not (and was not) ever intended to be about presentation to the customer. It is not (and was not) ever intended to be a how-to video. As stated, "I'm not a fan of POW measurements." I asked OptiKam to come and visit and show me and our audience how their system can overcome the issues with trying to obtain POW measurements manually or by hand. That is it. As clearly stated in the opening sequence. It is a skills training center not a store. It is a skills training center not a sales training center. Why you are choosing to insist it should be otherwise is beyond me.

We at Laramy-K truly embrace feedback and take it to heart. I'm on video numerous times thanking people for their suggestions. I'm on video numerous times admitting my mistakes. We have even gone back and reshot videos when feedback warranted it. Most of our video topics come from requests from our audience.

I kept hoping you would present a well reasoned argument on what you felt was lacking but instead we all just get "I didn't like it." Well, thanks for letting us know that. And I'll keep wearing my signature color series shirts with pride!

John

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    Hey all...
    John here.
    Thanks for the support!

I've been letting this one ride a bit and seeing where it would go.
    Trust me with over 1.6 million views on YouTube I'm used to the occasional troll.
    It is our policy to not feed the trolls but ---

idispense: It is clearly stated what the intention of the video is in the first few minutes. It is not (and was not) ever intended to be about presentation to the customer. It is not (and was not) ever intended to be a how-to video. As stated, "I'm not a fan of POW measurements." I asked OptiKam to come and visit and show me and our audience how their system can overcome the issues with trying to obtain POW measurements manually or by hand. That is it. As clearly stated in the opening sequence. It is a skills training center not a store. It is a skills training center not a sales training center. Why you are choosing to insist it should be otherwise is beyond me.

We at Laramy-K truly embrace feedback and take it to heart. I'm on video numerous times thanking people for their suggestions. I'm on video numerous times admitting my mistakes. We have even gone back and reshot videos when feedback warranted it. Most of our video topics come from requests from our audience.

I kept hoping you would present a well reasoned argument on what you felt was lacking but instead we all just get "I didn't like it." Well, thanks for letting us know that. And I'll keep wearing my signature color series shirts with pride!

John
    Thanks John.

In response John , I am not a troll , I’ve commented here on this board for many years.

I fully agree with your opening statement: “As stated, "I'm not a fan of POW measurements.”

That point of view was well pushed throughout, as a skills training center you positively reinforced and influenced that. In that respect I agree.

Should a skills training center have done that? That’s where we diverge.
    Last edited by idispense; 04-08-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is a skill to learn and understand the benefits of POW. I personally have no regrets to have learned those skills. Learning those skills included learning how to present those benefits.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    It is a skill to learn and understand the benefits of POW. I personally have no regrets to have learned those skills. Learning those skills included learning how to present those benefits.
    idispense: I fail to see where any of your comments would help an optician be better at their job?

What if things went like this instead?

Hey John, whoa, sorry but for me that video was like watching paint dry and a train wreck - wait, wait, hear me out… and maybe sales and the OptiKam are coming up in another video?

I’m actually a firm believer in individual POW measurements and electronic measuring systems too!

However, I don’t think you can (I don’t think you should have) presented the nuts-and-bolts of it without talking about or covering the sales part of it. In my opinion the two are inseparable. I think you did a disservice to the audience by leaving it out.

I work in a gorgeous, high-end place where everyone dresses to the nines. Heck my monthly dry cleaning bill is what many opticians make a week. ____% of our progressive sales are high-end, free-form and receive individual POW measurements using the ________ measuring system. So I'm quite familiar with POW and the electronic tool.

Let’s see if this helps get my point across: Here is what a typical interaction with my customer sounds like, “Mrs. Nickerbottoms ______________________________________________________.”

Can you see how powerful that is?

Can you see why, in my opinion, maybe it should have been included?

When customers leave the store the men want to be me and the women leave their panties in my dispensing drawer.

Our sales are through the roof because we combine, c-o-m-b-i-n-e the nuts-and-bolts with sales.

I don’t think one can work without the other.

Heck, when we get back to work I'll be happy to record a few customer interactions and share them with all of you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would be highly disappointed if a lady patient of mine left her panties in my dispensing drawer............

My patients are so old, more than likely, they would be a pair of Depends .....

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LMFAO. Good stuff John!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John don't let me not buy you a beer when you make your next memorial day run. I can't handle a hog but I can eat some smoked pig pretty well.

Thread Information