Thread: Are all memory titanium frames the same?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Are all memory titanium frames the same?

Hi, in terms of quality how do the different memory titanium frames fare? All they all the same since the material can be considered commodity? If not how do they differ in quality, what factors during the production process affects it? Any reports of allergies from customers (liabilities?)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tf50fm View Post
    Hi, in terms of quality how do the different memory titanium frames fare? All they all the same since the material can be considered commodity? If not how do they differ in quality, what factors during the production process affects it? Any reports of allergies from customers (liabilities?)
    I saw this "60 Minutes" episode once and, well, yeah they are.... in fact ALL frames are the same, they're ALL made in the same factory owned by ONE company and the only thing that determines the price is the name brand stamped on the side... blah, blah, blah...

/Sarcasm.

I personally do not believe they're all the same. I've used 'Memory Metal' frames from Marchon, Charmant, Tura, Safilo (Carrera), and have seen plenty of the cheap ones come through the shop (Modern, etc...). I personally have seen the most problems with Marchon. The bridges like to break right in the middle. It's been a problem for a LONG time. Tura Titanflex have always been really, really solid but I'm not a huge fan of the styles. My all time favorite 'Memory Metal' frames were the Carrera models made by Safilo. I don't recall EVER having one come back broken (and we sold A LOT of them) and I still have customers who bring them in every year for new lenses and these are the customers that are really, really hard on their glasses. They LOVE them. The Carreras were our bread and butter for many, many years but they've been slowly discontinuing them to a point there's not much left. I've since moved in the Charmant stuff and while I don't have long term experience with it, I'm confident in it, it's priced well and the warranty is fantastic.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They absolutely are not the same. Heck even certain brands *cough* flexon *cough* have experimented with different formulas over the years, some that are good some that aren't.

I'm not a big fan of most "memory" titanium, I like real titanium stuff (high end beta titanium) Some of the flexon stuff is good. And I know there are people out there who being able to lay on the couch with their glasses and have them not bend up is a very important factor. High RXs and Progressives don't do well with the super "boingy" memory metals imo

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    They absolutely are not the same. Heck even certain brands *cough* flexon *cough* have experimented with different formulas over the years, some that are good some that aren't.

I'm not a big fan of most "memory" titanium, I like real titanium stuff (high end beta titanium) Some of the flexon stuff is good. And I know there are people out there who being able to lay on the couch with their glasses and have them not bend up is a very important factor. High RXs and Progressives don't do well with the super "boingy" memory metals imo
    Seconded on the high end beta titanium.

Thread Information