Thread: Covid 19 concerns

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Covid 19 concerns

Good day to all.
    With the immediate and present threat of the Covid 19 virus I would like to have my stores and everything they contain sanitized/ sterilized for the safety of my employees and patients. Apart from the main stream precautions and preventative measures that I have adopted I am looking for a way to sanitize my frames and lenses after and before being handled by patients.

What product is there that would allow for sanitizing spectacles without damaging the frames and lenses?

Please help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    70% Isopropyl alcohol

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good day Kwill212,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Regards

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Also, check CDC's Guidance for Business: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-response.html
    Vitor Pamplona
    CEO, EyeNetra Inc

Come check our autorefractor, lensometer and phoropter.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good morning Vitor,
    Thank you for your assistance.
    This site was most helpful.
    Best regards,

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree !! 70% Alcohol everything is what i'm doing.

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Going to piggyback on this thread. Would say, canned Lysol damage zyl frames? I need to sanitize our stock, but I don't want to use alcohol.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Lawman Nick,
    What I've found is that all other chemicals used have the problem with leaving residue which over time have the potential to damage both frames and lenses. Isopropyl alcohol at 70% does not dry/ damage the frame once used sparingly and for limited time as in a quick wipe. I would caution against using lab grade isopropyl alcohol at 99% since my experience with it was a frame that literally fell apart in my hands.

I tried 70% isopropyl alcohol on several pairs of spectacles with great results so far.

Cheers

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    quarantine questions... Anyone else have their state recommend self quarantine after visiting another state? Our state has 19 states on the list but the PA.gov website just says that they recommend quarantine. They are not mandating it and therefore no one is doing it. I'm just wondering if anyone has concerns regarding this. We have people going to Houston and Puerto Rico by way of Florida that say they test negative the day they come back and are not quarantining. Because the health dept only recommends it, what can you do? Are you 1) prohibiting your employees to go out of state for vacations? 2) denying vacation requests? 3) Asking patients if they have been out of state and if so rescheduling them?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My state (Hawaii) has a mandatory 14 day self quarantine for all arriving passengers. Interestingly, we had a Topcon rep come by a couple weeks ago who did not have to follow the 14 day quarantine because he was somehow considered an Essential worker.

I think you should definitely screen your patients when confirming or making appointments by phone even though many people will be dishonest about it. Masks are required, as is hand washing upon entry. We have a walk up window for dispensing CL's and simple frame adjustments etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    My state (Hawaii) has a mandatory 14 day self quarantine for all arriving passengers. Interestingly, we had a Topcon rep come by a couple weeks ago who did not have to follow the 14 day quarantine because he was somehow considered an Essential worker.

I think you should definitely screen your patients when confirming or making appointments by phone even though many people will be dishonest about it. Masks are required, as is hand washing upon entry. We have a walk up window for dispensing CL's and simple frame adjustments etc.
    I definitely think people will be dishonest about it. Some are already angry about wearing a mask! I like the window to dispense idea. Unfortunately in our location, it would be impossible to do. I just do what I can. I wear an N95 mask (although it's big and not fit tested) with paper mask over it and a shield. New gloves for each patient. What else can I do? I feel bad because a lot of my older patients haven't been out of their homes for months and tell me this is the first place they've been. I just do my best to protect them and myself and hope for the best.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Some are already angry about wearing a mask!
    See image below.

I wear an N95 mask (although it's big and not fit tested) with paper mask over it and a shield. New gloves for each patient. What else can I do? I feel bad because a lot of my older patients haven't been out of their homes for months and tell me this is the first place they've been. I just do my best to protect them and myself and hope for the best.
    You should be fine if you can restrict the number of people present. I can't wear an N95 (where did you get them/are you reusing?), relying on 3 ply masks and 10' separation with good ventilation for the few clients I see on Sunday afternoons. Hopefully us high risk folks and the medical community will be first to get vaccines.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COVID BACKPACK.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    See image below.

Robert Martellaro
    Well, if you're going to inject politics with that stupid image... But I guess that's the state of things today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alcohol: The two types of alcohol, IPA and ethanol both work equally well against Covid-19. They must be in the 60-80% concentration range to be effective against lipid viruses such as coronaviruses. They work by denaturing the proteins of microorganisms. EPA testing shows that alcohol needs a 5-minute dwell time. Other studies have shown 70% ethanol to be effective against human coronavirus in 1 minute.5,6 The benefit of alcohol is that it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. That is also its weakness, limiting how and where it can be used. Also, be aware of its flammability.

A quick wipe may not be effective.

I'm skeptical of leaving isopropyl on a frame for 5 minutes.

https://www.contecinc.com/articles/h...lean-covid-19/

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Alcohol: The two types of alcohol, IPA and ethanol both work equally well against Covid-19. They must be in the 60-80% concentration range to be effective against lipid viruses such as coronaviruses. They work by denaturing the proteins of microorganisms. EPA testing shows that alcohol needs a 5-minute dwell time. Other studies have shown 70% ethanol to be effective against human coronavirus in 1 minute.5,6 The benefit of alcohol is that it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. That is also its weakness, limiting how and where it can be used. Also, be aware of its flammability.

Ya think?

If the alcohol needs a 5 minute 'dwell time' then hand sanitizer is useless. And, 'dwell time'? Who makes this sh!t up?

I've never, ever seen a more comprehensively convoluted confused set of b.s. information with more experts on opposing sides all arguing and changing their minds daily...... for MONTHS. What. A. Joke.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Well, if you're going to inject politics with that stupid image... But I guess that's the state of things today.
    What politics? Mervinek is trying to feed and shelter self and family w/o succumbing to a crippling, highly contagious disease. The sacrifices that folks are making now is unprecedented since the last world war.

Being a great nation, we must ignore the knuckle draggers and listen to our health and science experts, lest the spread of the disease gets ahead of what medicine and science can do to keep this from spiraling even further out of control, ending in a worldwide economic depression, military conflicts, and even more disease, death, and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

More optical related protocols.

https://reopeneyecare.com/category/r...ary-protocols/

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 07-18-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    What politics? Mervinek is trying to feed and shelter self and family w/o succumbing to a crippling, highly contagious disease. The sacrifices that folks are making now is unprecedented since the last world war.

Being a great nation, we must ignore the knuckle draggers and listen to our health and science experts, lest the spread of the disease gets ahead of what medicine and science can do to keep this from spiraling even further out of control, ending in a worldwide economic depression, military conflicts, and even more disease, death, and suffering.

Robert Martellaro
    Mervinek? I was poking fun at your stupid picture. I directed nothing at Mervinek.

Yeah, you're right... there's no politics at all involved... lol.

Excellent ultra-ultra-dramatic reply though. Keep up the good work.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Ya think?

If the alcohol needs a 5 minute 'dwell time' then hand sanitizer is useless. And, 'dwell time'? Who makes this sh!t up?

I've never, ever seen a more comprehensively convoluted confused set of b.s. information with more experts on opposing sides all arguing and changing their minds daily...... for MONTHS. What. A. Joke.
    My mother was an RN many, many years ago and said they always called rubbing alcohol for sterilization "holy water". Put it on something and then pray that it worked.

With any of these procedures how can you verify that it has had an effect? It's like the pat downs when entering a entertainment venue. It's just the illusion of security. If something does go wrong, the owner can claim that they did something. It's not their fault it wasn't 100% effective.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    With any of these procedures how can you verify that it has had an effect?
    How does EPA know that the products on List N work on SARS-CoV-2?

EPA expects the products on List N to kill SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) because they:

Demonstrate efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19);
    Demonstrate efficacy against a virus that is harder to kill than SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19); or
    Demonstrate efficacy against another type of human coronavirus similar to SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).

EPA expects all products on List N to be effective against SARS-CoV-2 when used according to label directions.
    It's really easy to kill on surfaces. Some of the disinfectants listed below have kill times under 60 seconds.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...cov-2-covid-19

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    we use a UV cabinet with UVC light to disinfect our frames. doesn't harm the frame and found that 70% isopropyl can turn the heat transfer frame labels black.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use heat transfer labels on white plastic tags. I take the tags off the frame before the patient tries them on. This way we don't have to sanitize the tags. I usually just line them up in a separate tray so I can see them but don't have to touch them. When the patient is done trying on the frames, we clean with UV and then put the tag back on. Let's face it, those tags are junk to start with and always break. I assume exposing them to UV will cause them to become more brittle and at $100+ a box for a bunch of tags, it's not worth it. We clean our station with Cavicide. (We were using the wipes but ran out and we able to get the solution. So we use a soaked paper towel on our counters, chairs etc). Hope this helps!

Thread Information