Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 (Coronavirus)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    I just don't see the point of this post...

Congrats, you're probably of retirement age and financially set it appears. There are some of us at a point in our careers working toward that end, but are currently in a place where we deem it our responsibility to serve our customers, safely, efficiently, professionally, and reliably. We have businesses to run, to build and to oversee. We will persevere...
    I do see his point though. Technically we should be full on shutting down for a minimum of two weeks. Everyone isolates and stays at home. It would drastically reduce the transmission rate. But, the difficult thing there, is the effect it would have on businesses, especially small local businesses. The other flip side is more medical practices. We see a lot of medical visits, and anyone who had something severe going on with their eye, would be forced to go to the emergency room or urgent care at that point. And they're already swamped with the current climate. Especially since we're in flu season to begin with. And allergies now to boot. It's just a cluster. Yall stay safe \m/

OptiBoard Apprentice Hailey Benson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiStudent View Post
    Is anyone disinfecting nose pad pliers, pad poppers, nylon pliers, after each use?

Yes! We have always done this and will continue to do so.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Yes, please believe the science, medical doctors and the experts. Refer to the WHO or CDC websites for accurate information. This is about protecting the vulnerable. The world population is 2.8 billion if 60% of the population get CoVid-19 and 2% of them die that is 101,666,666 potential deaths. Not be an alarmist but it's not about healthy people getting flu symptoms. This is real. people are dying.
    7.8 billion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    7.8 billion.
    yes, thanks for correcting my typo! 7.8 billion.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    [QUOTE=Hailey Benson;558203]Yes! We have always done this and will continue to do so.[/QUOTE
    How do you disinfect your tools after each use?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Biting my chomps on this one, just got off the phone with a coworker and they say they are disinfecting everything I quizzed them on, I haven’t seen it before last week, but alright. Still using reading cards at dispense and was told that she is wearing gloves and wiping the card with Clorox wipes afterwards. Coworkers say they support my decision, self quarantine for two weeks without pay but they cannot afford. I’m talking about fellow licenses. I guess I wish Americans were debt free like me, and not scared to take a stance.
    Last edited by OptiStudent; 03-17-2020 at 08:22 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice Hailey Benson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=OptiStudent;558211]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailey Benson View Post
    Yes! We have always done this and will continue to do so.[/QUOTE
    How do you disinfect your tools after each use?

Alcohol. We use alcohol on everything.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiStudent View Post
    Biting my chomps on this one, just got off the phone with a coworker and they say they are disinfecting everything I quizzed them on, I haven’t seen it before last week, but alright. Still using reading cards at dispense and was told that she is wearing gloves and wiping the card with Clorox wipes afterwards. Coworkers say they support my decision, self quarantine for two weeks without pay but they cannot afford. I’m talking about fellow licenses. I guess I wish Americans were debt free like me, and not scared to take a stance.
    I just Xeroxed my reading cards, and will shred each copy after each use.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Clinicians: Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water followed by a heavy, thorough, water rinse before and after each encounter.

Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China published 02-28-2020

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032
    Also, you must dry with paper towels air dryers are not effective in eliminating viruses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I retired back in 2002 so I ain't showing them nothing. However, if I were still in the business this would be the straw that broke the camels back. I would send everyone home, turn off the lights and lock the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0d8kpybVg
    This is what I did on Monday morning. It seems to me to be the only sensible, responsible thing to do. I can't believe people are still giving exams and having the public in their stores and clinics. The only thing disinfecting tools is going to do in the face of this pandemic is make you feel better, while actually making the problem worse. For a forum of supposed health care providers I am disappointed in many of the responses here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, Kwill, how long will you close? A week, 2 weeks, a month? Will you and staff be safe if you closed 3-6 months? I think an abundance of precaution is in order. Our dispensary is not connected to the doctors office. We have always worked as a walk in location, we moved to by appointment only to give us time to disinfect all surfaces and frames touched by patients. We ask them to lay on the table any that they touch so we can sanitize them afterwards.

We are a profitable company, but we can not afford to pay full salaries and benefits, including insurance with any kind of meaningful closure. And when I say meaningful, this virus will be around AND mutate with no vaccine for possibly a year. Precaution, once again is the best way to avoid this, and many viruses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always believed that alcohol and peroxide would damage frames and lenses. So what disinfectant can be used?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Well, Kwill, how long will you close? A week, 2 weeks, a month? Will you and staff be safe if you closed 3-6 months?
    Obviously I don't know, which I think is the point of your questions. We need to use the information we do know. Which is, that our healthcare systems, and more importantly our healthcare workers, are going to be overwhelmed if we don't slow this down. Hopefully everyone here has heard "Flattening the Curve" by now. As soon as the US gets test kits, and it capable of testing those kits, the numbers are going to skyrocket. Asymptomatic people all over the world are spreading the virus. Disinfecting everything helps marginally. Having no face to face contact helps massively.

It seems obvious to me that the federal government is chasing it's tail here. It's up to us. As business leaders, community members, and healthcare providers, we should be helping our healthcare brothers and sisters.

We are a profitable company, but we can not afford to pay full salaries and benefits, including insurance with any kind of meaningful closure.
    I doubt that many small businesses can. Have your employees called their Banks, landlords, credit card companies, insurance companies, etc? The time is now. Find out what they can delay or defer. Find out how much they actually need for a paycheck. These are extraordinary times, we can't expect full paychecks every week.

And when I say meaningful, this virus will be around AND mutate with no vaccine for possibly a year. Precaution, once again is the best way to avoid this, and many viruses.
    Yes this will last a long time. It needs to be brought under control in the immediate time frame though. As I said. Flatten the curve.

Let's take these questions "how long will you close? A week, 2 weeks, a month? Will you and staff be safe if you closed 3-6 months?"

vs.

These questions. How many people will get sick or die before you close. Where do you draw the line? An optiboarder? A close friend? A staff member? A patient? A family member? An ICU nurse at your local hospital? 1 person, 5 people, 100 people? Not closing right now because "you are only 1 small business what effect can you have?". Is like say you shouldn't recycle because you are only 1 small business what effect can you have?

Right now everyone should be acting as if they are infected. The federal government should freeze as much as possible, stock market, debt, mortgages, etc. close as much as possible, provide means for people in need to survive this in the short term. Rip the band aid off now, otherwise barring a miracle, it is going to take much, much longer to recover, and many more people will be effected.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    So Cal resident here; patients are cancelling - the phones are ringing and every other one is a cancellation- Gov Newson made a public announcement yesterday requiring all 65+ residents must stay home! Those who come in don't want to handle frames despite my spraying with alcohol.

Our patient population is mostly older- we are general ophthalmologist.

Whats it look like in your neck of the woods?
    Don't spray all of your frames with alcohol. Use another disinfectant because alcohol will ruin certain frames (TR-90, for example).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Right now everyone should be acting as if they are infected. The federal government should freeze as much as possible, stock market, debt, mortgages, etc. close as much as possible, provide means for people in need to survive this in the short term. Rip the band aid off now, otherwise barring a miracle, it is going to take much, much longer to recover, and many more people will be effected."

Kwill, I totally agree! I think there should be a standard, unified response nationwide. The psychological stress of not knowing day to day what is going to happen is worsening every day. I would much rather shelter in place for 3 weeks to get a handle on this. As it is now, I am still having to work with cases in our town and state-so IF one of my parents becomes ill, has a car accident, or any medical emergency (God forbid) I would not feel comfortable being around them because I am not sure I haven't been exposed. And because everyone is left to react pretty much how they see fit, we are left to wonder if the positive effect we might have with our own self-governance will be wiped out because our neighbor isn't doing the same. I applaud the efforts the federal government has made, and I understand a lock down of everything is a tough decision to make, but we need decisive leadership right now.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use 70% alcohol on all frames that are safe to do so. I've taken any others off the board .

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with GAgirl

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am working still, but I 100% agree with Kwill212, it is highly irresponsible to stay open. My practice has no plans to close, which is infuriating to me. I'm still working because I do need the income, but I'm otherwise quarantining myself and in contact with no one else (luckily I live far from any sick or elderly family members). I'm young and I'll be fine if I get it, but I don't want to spread it to others. For all I know I'm already asymptomatic.

My manager is, in her mind, taking necessary precautions, but in complete denial and refuses to "let the virus win", which is an insane mindset to me. The practice owner is just selfish. We have many of our older clientele coming in and I have to bite my tongue to not tell them to get the hell home right now. Many sensible patients have rescheduled, at least. No real point to this post I suppose besides venting my frustrations but oh well.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Your practice owner is giving people the choice. Come in or don't.

I have given my employees the choice, too. Work or don't, no recrimination.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by will pockets View Post
    I am working still, but I 100% agree with Kwill212, it is highly irresponsible to stay open. My practice has no plans to close, which is infuriating to me. I'm still working because I do need the income, but I'm otherwise quarantining myself and in contact with no one else (luckily I live far from any sick or elderly family members). I'm young and I'll be fine if I get it, but I don't want to spread it to others. For all I know I'm already asymptomatic.

My manager is, in her mind, taking necessary precautions, but in complete denial and refuses to "let the virus win", which is an insane mindset to me. The practice owner is just selfish. We have many of our older clientele coming in and I have to bite my tongue to not tell them to get the hell home right now. Many sensible patients have rescheduled, at least. No real point to this post I suppose besides venting my frustrations but oh well.

I've seen way more older people out and about than usual. Maybe I'm just looking closer, though. However, if I saw an old person licking a handrail now, I wouldn't be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We had a patient in last week who had been experiencing flashers and vision loss for anywhere between 1-2 weeks (depending on whom in the office he was talking to). He had called on a Tuesday, a day we don't have a doctor in the office, and could not be convinced that he needed to go to an ophthalmologist immediately. He insisted on seeing our doctor the next day. He came in on Wednesday and yep, retinal detachment. Immediate referral to ophthalmologist. He almost certainly has some permanent vision loss.

We are open because we are a doctor's office, and COVID-19 doesn't stop other medical issues from occurring.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Next week we start a new method to try and limit exposure and remain open to serve our community (we are only Opticians within 100 miles of our location)

We are starting A and B teams. Instead of being open for 6 days (Mon-Sat) we are open for Monday - Thursday only with A team. Then we are closed for 3 days. Then B team runs shop for Monday - Thursday. Repeat Repeat Repeat. If any member of A or B gets sick, 14 day isolation and other team takes over.

All staff and patients MUST be masked and gloved. Any frames that a patient tries on, gets washed and disinfected. All repairs that come in are automatically cleaned. Wash hands before seeing any patient and after. Exams are no longer 30 minutes, are 45 minutes with a enforced 15 minute clean between every patient.

Appointment wise anything that is "non-urgent" we are putting off. We need to stay open as i said we are only place within 100 miles and the local hospitals send all Eye-Related problems that present at the ER to us.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In greater Boston- a "hot spot"- we are closing per Mass OD's Association guidelines for 2 weeks starting Monday.

My Doc knows someone with access to high government sources who is saying to prepare for a nationwide shutdown.

The writing is on the wall-

Level 4 trip advisory for all US citizens to return.

The prediction models for exponential spread are holding.

China shows that for now this is the most effective way of flattening the curve.

The kicker- Fed Ex drivers have been issued a letter to show police if stopped going to or from work.

As Churchill said after Dunkirk- "Stand firm and Carry on".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am appointment only, "dispensings" and contacts are in a box in front of our internal door.

I have a lot of viral resarchers and first responders and nurses and doctors who get glasses from me.

Fort Detrick is taking care of business, believe it. They were air dropped into hotspots of Africa during the last ebola, these people know their stuff.

I'll be there to adjust, repair and fabricate their glasses. Trays to the ceiling right now.

We are in good hands, dare I say the best hands in the world. Wash yours, don't panic.

The docs are emergency only right now, we will see in a week.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Big change over the weekend. We're only open for dispenses 10-3 this Wednesday and next Wednesday. The doc has an eye toward re-opening on April 6, but I am not optimistic. Our governor has labeled optical suppliers as essential services, so we could legally stay open, but I hope we don't.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information