Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Covid-19 (Coronavirus)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a coworker who had it back in June. She is not a wimpy person, and was out for 3 weeks. Super high fever. Loss of smell. Bad body aches. She says she still gets achy joints even now. Said it was horrible. I really don't think she caught it here. Her live in boyfriend also had it and I suspect she got it from him. He does maintenance for apartment buildings and is in and out of elevators etc. By the way... she tested negative. We were lucky because at the time she was here part time because we hadn't yet gone back to full time schedule. Because of that and the fact that she tested negative, we didn't close or quarantine. (she did, though) I will say that our office is one of the most clean offices you'll find. We are super picky because we have a lot of high risk patients (chemo patients etc) and are located in a large outpatient clinic.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know over two dozen people who have had it. A few have been asymptomatic. Most have been bedridden and miserable for at least 10 days. Several have been hospitalized. Two have died.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I know over two dozen people who have had it. A few have been asymptomatic. Most have been bedridden and miserable for at least 10 days. Several have been hospitalized. Two have died.
    My sincere condolences, AH.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    My sincere condolences, AH.
    Thanks. Imagine my response when people claim this is some kind of political hoax.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear an N95 mask. It is not fit tested but it is the best I can get. I had 3 patients take their masks off right in front of me this morning alone. One asked me if I wanted him to wear it and after I said yes, took it off again. Another told me not to look while she took it off. So me not looking keeps the virus away? Is anyone else by appointment only? We have a small dispensary. There isn't enough room to social distance well so we are by appointment only and today I had 2 people scream at me because they wanted to be seen without an appointment. I don't know if it is just today or what, but people are getting on my last nerve with this mess. I'm ready to start smacking people.
    Last edited by mervinek; 11-16-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I wear an N95 mask. It is not fit tested but it is the best I can get. I had 3 patients take their masks off right in front of me this morning alone. One asked me if I wanted him to wear it and after I said yes, took it off again.
    No eyeglasses for you.

Robert
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    . I don't know if it is just today or what, but people are getting on my last nerve with this mess. I'm ready to start smacking people.
    You're going to have to break your strict 'social distancing' rules if you're going to smack someone....

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear an N95 mask. It is not fit tested but it is the best I can get. I had 3 patients take their masks off right in front of me this morning alone. One asked me if I wanted him to wear it and after I said yes, took it off again. Another told me not to look while she took it off. So me not looking keeps the virus away? Is anyone else by appointment only? We have a small dispensary. There isn't enough room to social distance well so we are by appointment only and today I had 2 people scream at me because they wanted to be seen without an appointment. I don't know if it is just today or what, but people are getting on my last nerve with this mess. I'm ready to start smacking people.
    We require mask wearing and are in a community that agrees to follow protocols. That said I do allow someone to slip the mask down so I can see the bridge fit and they can see their face- I'll step back and ask them to try to hold their breath and be sure to put the mask back on if they want to talk. I know I'm assuming some risk but I see no practical way to make fitting and dispensing work otherwise.

I'm also very encouraged by our local Moderna's vaccine preliminary results. Especially the efficacy for the critically ill. I see this very soon being used for many who are dying from this now. I sell glasses to employees through VSP. Biogen and other bio science employees as well and wow- do they have mega-benefits as a rule!

We are by appointment "preferred" in the dispensary and it is working very well.

I tell everyone that we try to accommodate walk-ins but someone with an appointment will be my priority and I may ask them to step aside or even wait outside while I help the person with the appointment in our small dispensary.

So far it has worked very well and I doubt we will go back to telling everyone to just come in during office hours when this dumpster fire of a year is over.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way our office is designed is very odd. We are on the outside of a circular atrium so we are semi circular in shape. At the far end, it is very narrow (only about 7 feet wide) and glass on 3 sides. We have placed a clear shower curtain at that end and have people go in there to try on without a mask. I can see through the curtain and check fit etc. That works wonders. I really do have high hopes for these vaccines, as you said correctly this has been a dumpster fire of a year!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
    Does anyone know some types of facial masks that could protect us from coronavirus?
    Those that have been specifically tested for efficacy at filtering out microbes, and meet FDA as well as NIOSH standards, are your best bet. In general, any N, R, & P type respirators, with a rating of 95, 99, or 100 with NIOSH certification should provide substantial protection. This is assuming one dons and doffs it correctly, wears it according to appropriate instruction, ensures that it has an optimal fit (for men, this means being clean shaven), and at a minimum passes a subjective positive and negative pressure test for leaks. Ideally, once the mask is on, one never touches it or any area around it until they doff it properly. Optimally, one would have such a respirator objectively tested for fit, but that is unlikely for just about any member of the general population.

If one really wants to go all out, you could use an FDA approved PPAR with HEPA filter, but even for someone like me, who is a complete freak about my mask, that is going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    You're going to have to break your strict 'social distancing' rules if you're going to smack someone....
    Not if you use an appropriately long smacking implement.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 11-19-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I thought it would be prudent to share these links:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...spirators.html

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcw...nceextuse.html

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/resp...onResults.html

This are the published CDC guidelines on N95 use & reuse, reasonable alternatives when dealing with vulnerable populations, risks mitigation involved in doffing and donning masks (since we all know none of us do it perfectly), and mask usage in general. It also discusses the if, how, and when to reuse masks, as well as possible decontamination procedures, if necessary. I would imagine some here may think they understand these concepts currently, but, in all honesty, the limits regarding N95, masks as well as reuse is much more complex and nuanced than one would intuitively surmise.

The below link is the current CDC list of counterfeit masks that claim a certain efficacy when they in fact do not meet the appropriate standards:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/user...rfeitResp.html

The link below is to a comprehensive article regarding masks from an organization that has a proven track record of responsible journalism and adheres to a strict evidence-based ethos (except for articles that make it clear they are discussing purely theoretical subjects):

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...inst-covid-19/

If you find this post useful, feel free to copy it and spread it to all corners of the interwebs. This is information which most people could benefit from, especially those in the customer service and allied healthcare fields.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 11-20-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just worked with a VSP patient who is extremely knowledgeable about covid due to his association with the medical foundation is VSP comes from.

Moderna's RNA based treatment is going to have great, positive ramifications not only to keep us out of ICU's but also for the future as a treatment for even the common cold (a covid family of viruses).

As I was wiping down the dispensary chair he made a comment on how the virus is really only viable for about 30 seconds. So keep wearing those masks and social distancing as much as possible to help limit the distance it can spread while it's looking for a new host!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Moderna's RNA based treatment is going to have great, positive ramifications not only to keep us out of ICU's but also for the future as a treatment for even the common cold (a covid family of viruses).
    That's great!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just worked with a VSP patient who is extremely knowledgeable about covid due to his association with the medical foundation is VSP comes from...

...As I was wiping down the dispensary chair he made a comment on how the virus is really only viable for about 30 seconds. So keep wearing those masks and social distancing as much as possible to help limit the distance it can spread while it's looking for a new host!
    I would be weary of posting things from hearsay sources no matter how knowledgeable. The NIH has said

"Although viruses don’t grow on any non-living surfaces, recent studies show Corona viruses can remain viable or infectious on metal, glass, wood, fabrics and plastic surfaces for several hours to days, irrespective of the surface looking dirty or clean." (emphasis mine)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I would be weary of posting things from hearsay sources no matter how knowledgeable. The NIH has said

"Although viruses don’t grow on any non-living surfaces, recent studies show Corona viruses can remain viable or infectious on metal, glass, wood, fabrics and plastic surfaces for several hours to days, irrespective of the surface looking dirty or clean." (emphasis mine)
    True that!

When in doubt and to error on the side of caution- wiping all surfaces after anyone contacts them is sound advice.

Covid-19 or not!

So keep up the wipe downs!

Wear a Mask!

But it seems to me that, at this point, after these many months, it is not spreading by touch and/or surface contact.

Call'em like I see em.

But then again- it never has- Just listen to Trump's comments to Woodward in February- but now I'm on thin ice.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since this has started I have been using my critical thinking skills. You must do that. Check out the YouTube channel @ The FLY Optician!!! especially the video from December 2020. WoW!!!!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    “I can't shake the feeling that all these conspiracy theorists are in on it.”
    ― Wynne McLaughlin
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawud1213 View Post
    Since this has started I have been using my critical thinking skills. You must do that. Check out the YouTube channel @ The FLY Optician!!! especially the video from December 2020. WoW!!!!
    I guess I'll bite, which video? Maybe you can summarize it here for us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-r...-care-settings

Without getting political or bringing personal beliefs/feelings into this, wondering how this will go down? I have seen one person in the Opticians on FB group say that their doctor was actually considering dropping Medicare/Medicaid rather than have themselves and their staff vaccinated. As my office is ophthalmology and most of our patients are Medicare age, and that our major bread and butter is cataract surgery, there is no way we could walk away from Medicare (not that the owning doctor would want to anyway). We are almost guaranteed to have at least one staff member quit because of their strong convictions against it. We are already short staffed as it is. Not sure where that employee plans to go as most surgeons are going to work with Medicare.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you and your doc will need a replacement and the office will be statistically safer for it.

We cannot social distance and do our jobs and if I have to play russian roulette I prefer to keep the number of bullets in the chamber to the minimum.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-16-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you and your doc will need a replacement and the office will be statistically safer for it.

We cannot social distance and do our jobs and if I have to play russian roulette I prefer to keep the number of bullets in the chamber to the minimum.
    Personally, I agree but I am also glad I have nothing to do with management or staff. I don't want to be there when the crap hits the fan with that one. We had a salaried employee who is supposed to be our biller now doing the management/administrative stuff as we have been without an official office manager/practice administrator for almost two years, and if our surgical scheduler leaves, this employee will likely have to pick that up too. It's a mess. We also only have two techs, and I don't even know what their stance is on all this, but with two doctors and patient loads of 50-80 patients per day, losing one or both of them would be not good. I'm just over here in the optical shop trying to stay out of all that mess.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like the famous I Love Lucy show where the doc keeps saying "Speed it up" to the staff because work is getting done.

Eventually the worm will turn.

Staying out of it is a good thing;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I'm just over here in the optical shop trying to stay out of all that mess.
    I work in ophthalmology too and am the only optician working in the optical shop. Sometimes it is really nice to be off to the side. While I complain that optical is often forgotten, there are times when I don't mind. Our OMD made it mandatory that all staff be vaccinated or be fired. We only had one hold out who kept saying her body was telling her it wasn't a good idea to get vaccinated. She did finally get vaccinated (with no side effects I might add). Most of our staff was vaccinated during the first wave of vaccines back in Dec/Jan because we are in a hospital/outpatient setting and it was provided by the hospital for us. Some staff have already gotten a booster. I don't know enough about the booster other than it was recommended for immunocompromised. (I have several patients who told me that they've already gotten the booster) I guess I need to ask my doctor about that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work in ophthalmology too and am the only optician working in the optical shop. Sometimes it is really nice to be off to the side. While I complain that optical is often forgotten, there are times when I don't mind. Our OMD made it mandatory that all staff be vaccinated or be fired. We only had one hold out who kept saying her body was telling her it wasn't a good idea to get vaccinated. She did finally get vaccinated (with no side effects I might add). Most of our staff was vaccinated during the first wave of vaccines back in Dec/Jan because we are in a hospital/outpatient setting and it was provided by the hospital for us. Some staff have already gotten a booster. I don't know enough about the booster other than it was recommended for immunocompromised. (I have several patients who told me that they've already gotten the booster) I guess I need to ask my doctor about that.
    I know what you mean about being forgotten. I am one of two opticians and we only work one at a time. They forget we're over here. We're the last to know about anything but sometimes that's not so bad.
    Krystle

Thread Information