Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 (Coronavirus)

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Protester to Denver Co. healthcare worker: "You go to work, why can't I go to work?"

https://twitter.com/MarcZenn/status/1251975162926227457
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years and years ago, I saw a pupilometer that had a small pivoting piece on the bottom. When I asked about it, I was told that it came from the factory with a plastic shield that provided a barrier between the user's and pt's mouths. The shield was removed because it got in the way when storing, and was a general pain to use. We'll probable see that feature returning soon.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Years and years ago, I saw a pupilometer that had a small pivoting piece on the bottom. When I asked about it, I was told that it came from the factory with a plastic shield that provided a barrier between the user's and pt's mouths. The shield was removed because it got in the way when storing, and was a general pain to use. We'll probable see that feature returning soon.
    c

We’ve improvised our Pupilometers by taping a clear plastic paper sheet protector that hangs between us and the patient. Along with our masks we feel a sense of added protection.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't get closer than 10 feet of any human until we all have masks, serological, and routine active virus testing of at least 1% of the population.

Before I suspended business operations on 3-13, I used my client's history for PDs, and was able to measure pupil and segment heights in the usual fashion with light and ink. I estimated vertex distances using their history and by observation.

We don't need to infect each other with a very infectious and deadly respiratory disease for what is generally inconsequential levels of optical error. Relaxing standards is recommended until the risks are very low, probably by winter of 21-22.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Only 70% alcohol gets the job done. Less or more is ineffective. 151 proof rum might work, but like you said, you'll feel better if you ingest it. Kill time is 30 seconds on surfaces, and about 30 adult years if you drink a lot of it.

https://www.cloroxpro.com/products/c...disinfectants/

I don't believe plastic parts on frames, or even metal frames that are coated can be disinfected without damaging the product. Alcohol will damage some materials, it says so right on some package inserts from Prodesign and probably from many other manufacturers. This is going to be a problem in high volume, high traffic areas, for all businesses and clinicians.

However, the risk of infection is probably lower from surfaces than direct droplets in your face. If this was anthrax, everything would be shut down until the folks in hazmat suits clean it up.

I would be more concerned with getting the message out that if you're symptomatic, stay home, and if you have to go out, wear a mask, or learn how to cough and sneeze without contaminating others.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    TR-90 frames don't react well to alcohol.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't get closer than 10 feet of any human until we all have masks, serological, and routine active virus testing of at least 1% of the population.

Before I suspended business operations on 3-13, I used my client's history for PDs, and was able to measure pupil and segment heights in the usual fashion with light and ink. I estimated vertex distances using their history and by observation.

We don't need to infect each other with a very infectious and deadly respiratory disease for what is generally inconsequential levels of optical error. Relaxing standards is recommended until the risks are very low, probably by winter of 21-22.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    You. Are. Nuts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A little crazy, for sure. We're approaching the end of the beginning of a pandemic. We've rearranged the furniture once, but overall coping quite well thank you, not full tilt like the blond lady in the video above. And pray that we get this right so there won't be a second wave.

There's plenty of sacrifice and pain to go around; do the best you can for your family, friends, and neighbors, donate a few bucks to your local food bank, and when masked, visit your blood bank, and be prepared to adapt to rapidly changing socioeconomic conditions.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pandemic.jpg  

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A little crazy, for sure. We're approaching the end of the beginning of a pandemic. We've rearranged the furniture once, but overall coping quite well thank you, not full tilt like the blond lady in the video above. And pray that we get this right so there won't be a second wave.

There's plenty of sacrifice and pain to go around; do the best you can for your family, friends, and neighbors, donate a few bucks to your local food bank, and when masked, visit your blood bank, and be prepared to adapt to rapidly changing socioeconomic conditions.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Keep drinkin' the Kool-aid my friend... You ever do any thinkin' on your own?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Keep drinkin' the Kool-aid my friend... You ever do any thinkin' on your own?
    Not cool. Cease this immediately.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Not cool. Cease this immediately.
    Such is the state of things now.... If you don't follow the herd and think/act/regurgitate all that is deemed 'correct' you get told to shut up. Feel free to ban me, that'll just complete the process and prove me right.

I'm sorry man, but the numbers don't work. They're lying to us. This is crazy. Open your eyes people! But I'm told to 'Cease this immediately' when I comment harshly and think someone is a little nutty for saying that the risks won't be 'very low' until "the winter of 21-22"?

C'mon....

Occupation
    Such is the state of things now.... If you don't follow the herd and think/act/regurgitate all that is deemed 'correct' you get told to shut up. Feel free to ban me, that'll just complete the process and prove me right.

I'm sorry man, but the numbers don't work. They're lying to us. This is crazy. Open your eyes people! But I'm told to 'Cease this immediately' when I comment harshly and think someone is a little nutty for saying that the risks won't be 'very low' until "the winter of 21-22"?

C'mon....
    How does banning you prove you right? Frankly I'm not even sure what your point or your politics are. I honestly don't even know who the 'they' are that you say are lying to us, nor do I care. All I'm asking is that you show some respect even if someone doesn't believe the same things you do. If that is something you feel you cannot do, then let me know.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    How does banning you prove you right? Frankly I'm not even sure what your point or your politics are. I honestly don't even know who the 'they' are that you say are lying to us, nor do I care. All I'm asking is that you show some respect even if someone doesn't believe the same things you do. If that is something you feel you cannot do, then let me know.
    I picked on the guy a little for having what I consider to be a pretty 'out there' opinion. I get it, my opinion is 'out there' compared to his, yet in a different direction. That is all. Carry on.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Agreed 100%. If I had the ability to close my office, I would have done so.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm perfectly happy to "follow the herd" of esteemed epidemiologists right now.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 04-22-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I'm perfectly happy to "follow the herd" of esteemed epidemologists right now.
    Well then, by all means, please do so....

But, when using large words to try to sound smart, it helps to spell them correctly. ;)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey, thanks for reminding me to use the "ignore" button!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Agreed 100%. If I had the ability to close my office, I would have done so.
    I fill only outside RXs- if you have a doctor, I suspect most states would list you as essential.

As always, unless noted by an "IMO", my posts contain information extracted from science experts, in this case from CDC sources and other infectious disease experts. In addition, with my office a mile away from the Medical College of Wisconsin, I was lucky enough to have extensive conversations with a microbiologist, an infectious disease professor, and various other research and medical experts in the weeks before my store closing. They generally agree with where we're at, and where we're going to be in the months and years ahead, based on the data available at the time.

I found this from the CDC WRT disinfecting eyeglasses in a clinical setting.

Selected Options for Reprocessing Eye Protection

Adhere to recommended manufacturer instructions for cleaning and disinfection.
    When manufacturer instructions for cleaning and disinfection are unavailable, such as for single use disposable face shields, consider:

1. While wearing gloves, carefully wipe the inside, followed by the outside of the face shield or goggles using a clean cloth saturated with neutral detergent solution or cleaner wipe.
    2. Carefully wipe the outside of the face shield or goggles using a wipe or clean cloth saturated with EPA-registered hospital disinfectant solution.
    3. Wipe the outside of face shield or goggles with clean water or alcohol to remove residue.
    4. Fully dry (air dry or use clean absorbent towels).
    5. Remove gloves and perform hand hygiene.

xxx

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...rotection.html

Has anyone seen manufacturer's (lenses/frames) instructions? Please post if you have.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 04-22-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    TR-90 frames don't react well to alcohol.
    That is an understatement. I literally had a TR-90 frame front disintegrate into dozens of pieces in my hands about 15 seconds after exposing it to isopropanol. I nearly lost bowel control watching it happen in real time to a patients frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I fill only outside RXs- if you have a doctor, I suspect most states would list you as essential.
    The only way our doc stays open is under the ephemeral term "healthcare operations", though the list does not pick out eye care. As usual no one thinks of eye care when making rules about healthcare. If it were policed I don't know which way it would go, because in reality nothing we're doing is essential and cannot be put off until routine operations resume.

“Critical Business” means:
    1. Healthcare Operations, Including:
    ● Hospitals, clinics, and walk-in health facilities
    ● Medical and dental care, including ambulatory providers
    ● Research and laboratory services
    ● Medical wholesale and distribution
    ● Home health care companies, workers and aides
    ● Pharmacies
    ● Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
    ● Behavioral health care providers
    ● Veterinary care and livestock services
    ● Nursing homes, residential health care, or congregate care facilities
    ● Medical supplies and equipment manufacturers and providers, including durable medical equipment technicians and suppliers
    ● Blood banks
    However in Colorado at least durable medical equipment technicians are allowed, and Medicare considers eyeglasses DME. So I'M essential. Though I wouldn't mind if I weren't.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    The only way our doc stays open is under the ephemeral term "healthcare operations", though the list does not pick out eye care. As usual no one thinks of eye care when making rules about healthcare. If it were policed I don't know which way it would go, because in reality nothing we're doing is essential and cannot be put off until routine operations resume.

However in Colorado at least durable medical equipment technicians are allowed, and Medicare considers eyeglasses DME. So I'M essential. Though I wouldn't mind if I weren't.
    Not essential? Tell that to the guy who's a -3.00 or so and drives a truck for work and just broke/lost his glasses. And that's just one silly example, I can give as many more as you'd like.

I've been told countless times in the last couple months by my customers how grateful they are that I'm open and how essential they find me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not essential? Tell that to the guy who's a -3.00 or so and drives a truck for work and just broke/lost his glasses. And that's just one silly example, I can give as many more as you'd like.
    I doubt a professional driver would hit the road without a spare tire, if they had a good mechanic.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I doubt a professional driver would hit the road without a spare tire, if they had a good mechanic.
    Even spares are not guaranteed to not go flat. And, you're giving the general public waaaaaay too much credit and you know it.
    Last edited by Quig; 04-23-2020 at 06:42 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Always wear mask. Wash your hands frequently.Don't go to crowded places.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Wow, that's really nice

OptiBoard Apprentice Hailey Benson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just out of curiosity, if you are willing to share, have you or anyone you know had the virus? I ask because myself and my husband did, and between the two of us we had such varying symptoms. He never lost taste or smell, i did. I had to take breathing treatments, and could barely get out of bed for the entirety of it, he got by without any medicine at all and was still able to perform most tasks. I was sick for 3 weeks, he felt almost back to normal after a week and a half. Please, before anyone asks yes, I do wear a mask, both at work and in every public space, however a week prior to my getting sick I was in the hospital for a severe allergic reaction that I do not remember much of, and I assume I caught it there.

Thread Information