Thread: State Optical Frames

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

State Optical Frames

Hey peeps.
    Anyone here in the Optiverse stocking these? I am intrigued by the Made in Chicago and their independence. Also, I like the looks of this line. What feedback do you have?
    TIA
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had them a couple years ago. Nicely made, big boxy styles that people seem to like. Expensive (for our neighborhood anyway). I own one. Like the look, but don't wear often as they're heavy, and I'm a wuss. Apparently. LOVE the easy adjustability though. They take heat beautifully. There's another Europa line called Alan J that comes out of the same factory, using many of the same materials as I understand it - but the style is a bit lighter overall. And about a Benjamin less give or take. Do you have a local rep who could show you both lines?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We carry State. I own several for myself. Two I have as suns, and just received my second ophthalmic. The newer styles seem lighter, both in shading and in overall style. They hold up beautifully. They are one of my pricier styles for Zyl, but you can feel the quality is there. This is one I don't mark up as much as my other lines, mainly because I don't think I could get the same amount for them as I do for an Ovvo, though their wholesale values are similar.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    We had them a couple years ago. Nicely made, big boxy styles that people seem to like. Expensive (for our neighborhood anyway). I own one. Like the look, but don't wear often as they're heavy, and I'm a wuss. Apparently. LOVE the easy adjustability though. They take heat beautifully. There's another Europa line called Alan J that comes out of the same factory, using many of the same materials as I understand it - but the style is a bit lighter overall. And about a Benjamin less give or take. Do you have a local rep who could show you both lines?
    Europa was a popular frame show vendor. The reps were awesome. I always liked their entire line. More so now that they built a factory here in the US. Now, I love my Laibach & Yorks and State has similar styles at half the price. What to do? I will have to continue pushing for the line.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    State is a fantastic line. Europa as a whole just makes good frames.

So I live less than an hour away from their factory in Vernon Hills, IL. On their website, you can book a free tour of the factory if you want to, and I most certainly did take the tour. It's all Mazzucchelli acetate, and I can't remember the name of the company that does their hinges, but they're German. Lots of hand finishing. In fact, one of the first things you see when you take the tour is a table of about 5 or 6 workers hand-filing temples so that they match up perfectly with the front face of the frame and you don't feel the junction when the temples are open.

Obviously, we sell them in our office, and they do quite well. The "made in our backyard" tagline is really interesting to a lot of patients. They're slightly higher priced when it comes to VCPs, but still decently affordable, especially if a patient has been disappointed in the quality of their past frames.

From a customer service standpoint, all the reps I've worked with are great and they're always willing to work with us and make life as easy as possible.

I'm so glad there's finally a thread where I can pimp these guys. Absolutely love them.

Thread Information