Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review: Seiko 1.67 High Index (MR-10 Resin)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Darryl those index numbers nd or ne?

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    Finalite has a slightly better refracive index (1.600 versus 1.597) than MR-6, a considerably better Abbe value (42 versus 36), and a considerably better density (1.22 g/cc versus 1.34 g/cc).

Best regards,
    Darryl

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    Darryl those index numbers nd or ne?
    nd

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    nd

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Both?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yep. Though I've seen figures for MR-6 vary slightly, depending upon the supplier.

Best regards,
    Darryl

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    MR-6, as you indicate, is a 1.60 material...
    MR-7 is a 1.66 (1.67, depending upon the measurement standard being used)...
    MR-8 is an improved 1.60...
    MR-10 is a 1.67 high index...

As far as I know (and I can check), Essilor uses the MR-7 monomer. Most of the material technology in this index comes from our partnership with Nikon. I believe the important things to keep in mind are as follows:
    1.) most high-index materials have similar properties
    2.) likewise, most make very good candidates for drill mount applications
    3.) the coating(s) will greatly affect the durability (both scratch and resistance to breakage) of a high index lens

The Seiko monomer is a nice product- as are the high index monomers of each major manufacturer producing high index lenses today (each of which is slightly tweaked but ultimately derived from pretty much the same sources). Perhaps lenses could be labeled with "MR-6,7,8,10, etc.," but the differences in material performance will be far outweighed by the differences in lens design performance, so one's decision will still come down to what PAL or Aspheric SV lens design is preferred by the dispensing Optician/Optometrist/Ophthalmologist.
    Well said. Splitting hairs on which one is a tenth of a millimetre thinner or what is slightly stronger is not the main thing. It is like choosing between a titanium-75 and a beta-titanium frame. What it comes down to is the lens design and the coatings, because if a customer is not happy with the vision or if the coating keeps crazing they will not deal with you again, but a customer could not tell the difference between MR-7 and MR-10.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, but not just thickness! Some polymers have better abbe and specific gravity, too. Some are better to drill. Maybe we're still hairsplitting, but it can add up.
    Last edited by drk; 06-22-2004 at 12:57 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    While we're on the subject, I am under this impression:

Seiko makes MR-6 which is the industry's dominant 1.6 material, and is used for such lenses as Varilux 1.6.

They also make MR-10, which is a 1.67 (as mentioned above) and Essilor uses that as well.

Hoya makes a 1.6 they call Eyas (I believe) which has properties superior to MR-6, and their 1.71 (Teslalid) is very good as well.

The points being that:
    1. Not all 1.6's are alike
    2. There aren't really that many different types of 1.6, however
    3. Seiko must make a lot of money
    4. Hoya is a pretty good company
    5. Life would be easier if every trade name (Varilux Comfort 1.6) had a generic name attached to it (MR-6), so we could make intelligent decisions.

If anyone knows any fallacy in this, please post!
    Hello, I am a newbie to these boards, but not to the optical industry (34 years)
    I am currently wearing the Varilux Panamic 1.67 with Crizal Alize AR. I hate them! I was used to Spectralite's high ABBE and thought maybe with the Seiko resin it might be better than the Zeiss Gradal Top 1.67 I had several years ago. But still, these modern LED signs are unreadable for me once I get 5mm or more from center. They split up into separate red,blue and original colors so I see at least three of everything. The color fringes around everything are twice as evident as they were in Spectralite. I see from other post the Finalite has a better ABBE, but I still have some problems with my SV finalite computer lenses. So I guess I'm stuck with SolaMax in Spectralite Trans with Zeiss Carat Advantage AR.
    Did I mention I'm a -10.75 -2.50 with a 2.75 add?:bbg:
    I am considering Trivex, but is Hoya's Summit prog any better than the venerable Image? Any other prog in Trilogy that someone recommends?

Bad address email on file
    You can get the Shamir genesis in trivex, this is an excellent design... however with your script it will be thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlensman
    Hello, I am a newbie to these boards, but not to the optical industry (34 years)
    I am currently wearing the Varilux Panamic 1.67 with Crizal Alize AR. I hate them! I was used to Spectralite's high ABBE and thought maybe with the Seiko resin it might be better than the Zeiss Gradal Top 1.67 I had several years ago. But still, these modern LED signs are unreadable for me once I get 5mm or more from center. They split up into separate red,blue and original colors so I see at least three of everything. The color fringes around everything are twice as evident as they were in Spectralite. I see from other post the Finalite has a better ABBE, but I still have some problems with my SV finalite computer lenses. So I guess I'm stuck with SolaMax in Spectralite Trans with Zeiss Carat Advantage AR.
    Did I mention I'm a -10.75 -2.50 with a 2.75 add?:bbg:
    I am considering Trivex, but is Hoya's Summit prog any better than the venerable Image? Any other prog in Trilogy that someone recommends?

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by slaboff
    You can get the Shamir genesis in trivex, this is an excellent design... however with your script it will be thick.
    Thick, schmick. I'd rather see well.I believe that in many cases, going to the thinnest lens with the highest index can be a disservice to our customers. I have a M.d. customer -12.25 sph o.u.) whom we had always put in 1.67 because she wanted them thin as possible. After Trivex came out, we actually talked her into a smaller frame and sheliked her Trivex so much, she has bought four pairs. Two for distance, two for near. She won't wear progressives, though I may start working on her next time to try a pair.

On a different note, anyone notice what Essilor did to their Ormex material? We had used that for years as our mid-index lens of choice, high ABBE, 1.558 index, and hard enough to not need a back coat. Now Essilor has dropped the index to 1.502 - USELESS!:angry: Back to Spectralite.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just had hoya send me some blanks in -4.00 in CR39, Phoenix/Trivex, Poly, Seiko 1.67, and their 1.71.

All were cut to the same shape (Silhouette 7508/50)

Trivex is visibly thicker than the poly

Seiko 1.67 is NOT visibly thicker than 1.71 !!! (It does look thicker in +4.00)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by allanon
    I just had hoya send me some blanks in -4.00 in CR39, Phoenix/Trivex, Poly, Seiko 1.67, and their 1.71.

All were cut to the same shape (Silhouette 7508/50)

Trivex is visibly thicker than the poly

Seiko 1.67 is NOT visibly thicker than 1.71 !!! (It does look thicker in +4.00)
    There would not be much of a difference between a 1.67 and a 1.71 until you hit about 10D.

Bad address email on file

Compare to Tokai?

Hi, I've read your opinions on the Seiko 1.67 with great interest.

How about Tokai lens (1.7)? How do you think this compares to the Seiko?

Also, let me say that I'm not working in the industry. Rather, I'm an interested consumer, with a -5.0 prescription.

Thread Information