Thread: Funny Optician Fails?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Funny Optician Fails?

I thought it would be funny to share funny stories that have happened either to you or someone you work with. I will start. When we take segs on sunglasses we use a pen light to be able to see where to measure. Unfortunately its not the only light that we keep at our desk, we also keep a high power UV light to demonstrate photochromics. I happen to glance up as our new girl went to take the seg and noticed a purple light on the patients face....to make matters a little worse (also a little funnier) the patient is monocular and she was measuring on his good eye. I quickly and gently corrected her but it's still a fun story to tell.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    During the first week of my apprenticeship, I was dutifully shown on how to measure segs for progressive lenses, trying to take into account various factors like seeing if the patient changed their posture for the measurement, etc.

The optician I was apprenticing under hadn't quite reached the point in training that taught the measurement process for lined multifocals differed from that of PALs and on a busy day I was left to measure an order without supervision. Needless to say, the first-ever set of straight-top bifocals I sold/dispensed had VERY high segs. Coincidentally, this also led to my first-ever re-make.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My best friend (really!) had a young boy come in to the shop unaccompanied by an adult and complained how the glasses always slipped.

He was told with a chuckle that the next time they start slipping to put a little wad of gum behind his ears and stick the temple tips to them to stop them from sliding.

Some time later an irate mom calls asking if he was the one who told her kid to put gum in his hair!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Worked with an optician years ago who had a teenager on a Sears dispensing stool getting first time insertion/removal instructions for new contacts.

In hindsight the optician noticed he was nervous while learning the insertion part so when it came time for removal he really shouldn't have looked at him and deadpanned "Gee they never told me how to do that".

Dead faint right off the stool.

Mom was not amused either.

Thread Information