Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Optiboard's Re-Birth

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Also looked at Polaroid, and while I get what they're trying to do, it just seemed to flimsy to be able to service. Had to pass.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Also looked at Polaroid, and while I get what they're trying to do, it just seemed to flimsy to be able to service. Had to pass.
    Just had someone bring in Polaroids from elsewhere for adjustment. No metal in the temples so I explained it won't hold, but did my best. Wouldn't recommend from the one I saw. Hinges where all plastic as well- with the screw facing down! *sigh
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do we like the shipping information on Luxottica website in Italian? I know it has a translate option, but the dates are backwards.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    LOL I noticed this the other day! The dates make NO sense, even once translated. Mine told me the order wasn't going to be placed until June and not received until July though it was delivered the other day. It wasn't a formatting issue because the dates were for the end of the month... unless that have a 30th month in Italy I don't know about.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    LOL I noticed this the other day! The dates make NO sense, even once translated. Mine told me the order wasn't going to be placed until June and not received until July though it was delivered the other day. It wasn't a formatting issue because the dates were for the end of the month... unless that have a 30th month in Italy I don't know about.
    They go by day/month, not month/day!
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    They go by day/month, not month/day!
    How do you say case fuzz in Italian?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    How do you say case fuzz in Italian?
    Le case de fuzzeee! lol
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    Le case de fuzzeee! lol

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last week I also saw Tommy Hilfiger. The line has potential and we have some pieces. They have cute girl stuff that sells, but I think the number of really good styles is limited. I didn't pore over the men's stuff, but it's colorful and fun. It's not particularly inexpensive.

TH doesn't have a huge brand anymore, in my mind (I could be wrong) and the frames don't have a particular style, but there are good pieces, for sure. It's not a "must have" by any means.
    As a senior photographer and a parent to teens and 20 somethings, I see trends daily and I was not shocked to see Tommy and other 90s brand staples, like Champion, come back! A tiny bit dismayed at first bc those brands have been uncool for quite awhile, but I love seeing a new generation take an older trend and make it their own! One of our reps is even carrying a new line of Members Only drill mounts. Crazy! I'm just waiting for that god-awful giant 80s zyl to come back. But they'll shine it up and make it "new" for the generation that hasn't seen it in person yet and I love that!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, took a look at VSPMarchon's venerable Flexon collection.

Styles: very deep. Has a mix of traditional men's and jazzier men's. Women's styles will burn your retinas, though. Kids' styles: meh. Clips to be re-designed, soon.

Prices: $$$$$$. Too $$$$$ IMHO, but that's Marchon. There is a mix if you want the basics, though, which is good.

Recommendation: I still buy. I'm keeping it around because of
    a. brand recognition/loyalty
    b. depth of styles
    c. a differentiated product that somewhat justifies its price tag

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nota bene:

The sales rep was ga ga about Converse and said she's opened a lot of accounts. It's young, silly, colorful, and inexpensive.

I looked at the catalogue but it didn't grab me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's the latest on Europa and Scott Harris?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They have State. A well made line, but not cheap.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Japan titanium...very nice...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I will say that all of Europa's collections look very similar to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been years since I've seen a frame line that even remotely turned my head sadly. Seems the "build it like rubbish and jack the price WAAAAY up!" ala Lux et all is the rule of the day. Broadly, ridiculous fitting frames, cheapest possible materials, frame fits that don't even seem to be loosely based on human facial anatomy, lack of adjustability etc etc seems to be the corporate frame rules to live by. There are the odd independent makers sure, but then you're commonly dealing with stock availability issues, poor communication, or just a smaller overall collection. I miss the days of better frame options!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, saw the Lux rep for Tory Burch.

While there are some fun pieces in this unique collection, it hasn't been red-hot for us over the years, and it is time to make the change. Nothing against it. So long, Tory, we're selling you off. Unless you change.

The rep also had a new line for us to see (not new for you all) the Michael Kors. It seems the idea behind it is just "very trendy eye candy" with a "hot name" and a moderate price point. So we bought that stuff up. When the college girls come in this summer...we'll be loaded with chintz! Pastel translucents? Check! Rose gold? To the max! Angular metals that will only look good on a 20-something? Like, totally!

We just downgraded a little serious fashion uniqueness for a quick sugar rush.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, saw the Lux rep for Tory Burch.

While there are some fun pieces in this unique collection, it hasn't been red-hot for us over the years, and it is time to make the change. Nothing against it. So long, Tory, we're selling you off. Unless you change.

The rep also had a new line for us to see (not new for you all) the Michael Kors. It seems the idea behind it is just "very trendy eye candy" with a "hot name" and a moderate price point. So we bought that stuff up. When the college girls come in this summer...we'll be loaded with chintz! Pastel translucents? Check! Rose gold? To the max! Angular metals that will only look good on a 20-something? Like, totally!

We just downgraded a little serious fashion uniqueness for a quick sugar rush.
    Just make sure every lens is a blue roll and you are good!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just added Cinzia back into our stock bc they've added new edgy pieces that you'd typically find with a company like Westgroupe. I'm LOVING them and, though they just came in, they're already selling! Little better price point than OWP and Westgroupe, so that's a plus. I'm a little disenchanted with Scott Harris lately bc they're all looking alike, so adding Cinzia was what we needed to keep Europa fresh! Also. Their Elements line has new bougie little budget pieces now, with pretty metal temples on crystal frames! We use it for Medicaid, along with Modern, and I'm thrilled at the better quality we can offer for those who can't necessarily afford a nice pair of glasses! ^_^

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, I saw Europa.

Sorry to say that I found it not so great. The styles were OK, I guess, but they felt like they were imported and stamped. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem that they were designed for the collection.

I think some of the Scott Harris stuff was OK, but I didn't feel the love.

Seems like a good company, though.

Today I saw Luxottica (I'm a big "user") with the millionth shuffle of the millionth rep. Very nice person. Saw Polo. Polo is still Polo. Making very tiny, glacial changes in their styles to stay updated, yet on-brand. If you like Polo, you'll be happy.

I saw Ralph as well. While I think their opthalmic suffers a little from having repetitive shapes, the colors are marvelous and it's a fun line. The sunwear is very good, IMO. A good mid-priced line that can appeal to a broad age range.

Occupation
    So I'm working on my 3rd Lux order of the year... Ray Ban and Oakley exclusively. I need to stock up my suns again because plano is flying off the shelf. I'm happy the store is doing well but it bugs me that this location is so wrapped up in brand names.

We recently brought in Fysh and Kliik (which we have had in the sister store for years) and they are doing okay. Not great. I'm looking to get a few OWP and Mexx frames out of my sister store's next order, but have a feeling they won't move here.

Instead, I think I'm going to need to bring Versace back. Too many people are asking for it specifically.

The tamer Guccis are getting some love but none for Cazal (too be fair- they are not current [...though I'm not sure how much that matters when all their designs are 40 years old])

Side note- I found a new dream frame on the cover of Eyecare Business- Lindberg Rui
    https://lindberg.com/en/collections/rim

It's the first one on the chick. If someone who has an account wants to hook me up- you know how to reach me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    With metals making a comeback, who knows? That look could explode.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saw Rayban today.

Rayban has seemed to develop a pretty strong sense of itself. It stays within its lane. It seems very tinkered with and data-driven. Yet they still put out variations on the Rayban theme that resonate well.

None of their stuff is too far from their median, but they put twists on the same, now "iconic" themes.

They've taken, over the past twenty years or so, an iconic brand, and have developed iconic styles. No mean feat.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saw Liz Claiborne today.

What I want them to do is a full-service ladies collection...all ages, all sizes, classic to on-trend, sun and ophthalmic, with good quality and a good price point. Easy, right?

Well, they are delivering. Very strong line, IMO.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Previewed Under Armour.

Great potential. Needs a lot of development before it's going to be worthwhile.

Thread Information