Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Optiboard's Re-Birth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just curious if anyone has Draper James or seen them? Marchon line.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saw Armani Exchange, today.

I posltion this line as our lowest price point.

Plenty to choose from. Male and female and sunwear.

Is mostly on-trend (good, really, since a lot of low-price frame lines are...fugly).

They have thrown in a few styles that actually can reach out demographically. I call them "dad frames". There are no "mom frames" per-se, but moms are more hip than dads, anyway.

The quality is fair to worse...these are 1-2 yr glasses (or longer if non-primary). (This is what "gave", when "something has to give". Quality/style/price--pick 2.)

They could be a decent low price point line, if you like mainline vendors.
    Last edited by drk; 05-24-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are closing out on our Safilo. Between finding styles on Zulily and Amazon for about our same landed cost (Price + Shipping + import fee) and a rep we just don't care for.. our desire to work with the lines has left the building.

Using INVU to replace the polaroid suns, and the Vernon Gantry line for the same price point in ophthalmic (With a better return too!)

Our number one selling line is Ovvo. I am not complaining about that at all.

Very happy with Woow & Nifties to help compliment our Prodesign lines as well.

Lulu kids and XL lines from Tura have really taken off this time around. Brendel is still holding steady.

Champion for the teens is selling well, but haven't been impressed with the quality / durability.

L'Amy / Design Eyewear Group / Tura / Morel / Europa / Alternative Eyewear / New Millennium / Eyes of Faith ~ Sticking with mostly independent and supportive of the independent!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I looked at Europa and there wasn't much I liked. Am I missing something?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So I saw the Coach rep. You will think all I have is Luxottica, but that's not true.

Coach is really staid (look it up). With the brand "aging" (that is, it's been around for soooo loooong) and the styling being commensurate, it's losing it's appeal for me.

I guess it's OK for non-cutting edge patients (which I only have a few, anyway).

They are kind of "the norm" for sunglasses.

It's OK.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I looked at Europa and there wasn't much I liked. Am I missing something?
    I don't carry Europa(other than STATE and AO), but I know them well. The appeal is a huge catalog of up to date, very saleable styles, moderate to low cost, passable quality, pretty much anything goes warranty/replacements, and their #1 thing is their people. I have never done business with a company that has better people and also treats their own people so well. Great company to work for, great company to work with. Their bread and butter brands aren't a fit for my store, but if I was selling high volume mid-priced frames I would sell tons of them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    State is pretty swanky, I remember seeing it. Thanks for telling the story "behind the frames"!

P.S. AO is "American Optical", right? Do you get hits on that super-classic stuff?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Correct, American Optical. Just suns for now.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Sell the heck out of the classic aviator.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Just curious if anyone has Draper James or seen them? Marchon line.
    We have the line. I think it's consignment so the back office likes it.

Altair quality fwiw.

It's ok but Elle acrylic are hot for us right now.

You can't beat filling up board space for "free". Or so I'm told...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    AO is "American Optical", right? Do you get hits on that super-classic stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I love them a lot. I buy two of each and make clear demos for one to sell as ophthalmics. So far I've only sold them as ophthalmics, haven't done one as sun yet. The Times model is a great imitation of the Moscot Lemtosh (or is the Moscot the imitation of the original AO design??).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	15073

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Europa proudly states made in America, especially the State line.
    They do source European parts, and Japanese titanium, but the frames are built here. That should be a great selling point. Plus, they are actively working on American made hinges and parts.
    Their service is one of the best in the industry.
    The State line is high quality. The Europa line is good quality. The AO line needs a little work in their “zyl” catalogue, ie, rivets vs hidden hinge. The Europa line sold very well at our trunk shows, pre-COVID. Great cost/benefit/quality ratio. The additional frame show discount sure helped!
    Sadly, they don’t carry the weight of “designer” names, and like Seraphin, our primary customer base rejected them. So sad. We no longer carry State, nor Seraphin.

I would much rather carry these lines, including AO, than the Lux line of licensed “designer” brands. But I just run the lab. What do I know?
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. I really don't want quality that is just meh. Never considered consignment, but not a place I really want to go. Also, haven't looked into Elle for quite some time and will check them out! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    We have the line. I think it's consignment so the back office likes it.

Altair quality fwiw.

It's ok but Elle acrylic are hot for us right now.

You can't beat filling up board space for "free". Or so I'm told...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Europa proudly states made in America, especially the State line.
    Only the State, Alan J, and AO frames are made in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    They do source European parts, and Japanese titanium, but the frames are built here.
    The full titanium frames are Made in Japan. Since they bought AO, they are making metal frames in Chicago, but those are monel.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saw Silhouette today.

First thing to note is that the current Silhouette president is "culling the herd" re: number of open accounts. If you like Silhouette, you have to play ball.

Secondly, the newer releases are, as usual, nicer and more expensive than ever. Truly, when you consider trivex, 1.67, all the customization that goes into these jobs...they're luxury eyewear.

They have a couple of plastic-- NO, SPX-- collections that we like pretty well, and we are investing it more. It expands the reach of Silhouette frames by a lot.

But they do the rimless 8000 different ways, and that's their core.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like parasite eyewear doesn't get enough love. There's a ton of people out there who can't tolerate things touching their ears, and on top of that they have this super modern/ matrix vibe.

Occupation
    Optometrist

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love OvvO and Prodesign, but sadly, my -9.00 PAL lenses don’t work well with the ones I like. So I have to live vicariously through our patients who can wear them.

Can anyone recommend a good children’s frame line that’s good to work with? We’ve been having issues with Nano(Alternative Plan B eyewear). Our rep has stood us up and doesn’t follow through. We do carry other youth brands, but I’m looking for something durable like the Nano. We reached out to Tomato but they never responded.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love OvvO and Prodesign, but sadly, my -9.00 PAL lenses don’t work well with the ones I like. So I have to live vicariously through our patients who can wear them.

Can anyone recommend a good children’s frame line that’s good to work with? We’ve been having issues with Nano(Alternative Plan B eyewear). Our rep has stood us up and doesn’t follow through. We do carry other youth brands, but I’m looking for something durable like the Nano. We reached out to Tomato but they never responded.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are thinking about buying into Maui suns. The Maui rep stopped in and after talking to him we are seriously considering carrying the suns. We do a lot of vsp to the point that we are premier platinum and I like that we will be able to get genuine maui suns while using the patients vsp plan. The rep also told us that if we give it a shot and we decide that its not working out later on down the road we will be able to return all the product we have and they will refund the cost to us. Does anyone have feedback on maui?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    We are thinking about buying into Maui suns. The Maui rep stopped in and after talking to him we are seriously considering carrying the suns. We do a lot of vsp to the point that we are premier platinum and I like that we will be able to get genuine maui suns while using the patients vsp plan. The rep also told us that if we give it a shot and we decide that its not working out later on down the road we will be able to return all the product we have and they will refund the cost to us. Does anyone have feedback on maui?
    Ok... so I know MJ has been bought out by someone recently (I don't remember who), but so far it has not affected the way they operate from my perspective and as per my rep, (with whom I have worked for decades and trust) he doesn't think it will. MJ has very high quality work. Lenses are always spot on and the turn around is great. Customer service is always helpful. Downsides are that they have their own perameters for the lenses and frames. So even if you know an Rx will work in a certain frame, they won't allow it. You'll have to learn what lenses they have, but it isn't too difficult. I recommend them. (also, I wear them myself, so you can tell I really like them)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    *** word of caution... I have never heard of them opening an account and then allowing you to return them later if not working out. I will say that when we have a sunglass open house, our rep will order a ton of stock for us and then allow us to return the overstock when our show is over. They are also very supportive with it and supply us with nice giveaways for the open house (like hats, cleaners, cleaning clothes and once a MJ beach towel).

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Run a few through VSP Signature and Choice and see how you make out. Look at the margins and see if they're worse using Maui's lab, than, say, a Rayban with your own poly polar with mirror.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...light=maui+jim

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I should note that we do not take VSP so I can't comment on that perspective.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saw Flexon. It is what it always has been, but they have been inching towards having more stylish frames. Yes, they're overly expensive. I think they work very well for a "luxury" line for your average guy. Women's frames are atrocious x 100000. They still have the clip-on thing, and a new flat front clip onto the frame thing, but it's not very good.

Saw 9 West. It's a "contemporary/classic" ladies' line with a little "extended fit" and petite and sun. It's OK. Some good styles, some doggies. I still think Liz C is the best of the industry for that niche, but it's VSPMarchon's entry. Price point is average for a "designer" line.

Thread Information