Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Optiboard's Re-Birth

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've sold all the major manufacturers thru the years. My favorite of the big guys was Safilo. I like some of De Rigo/REM (Philippe Plein & Varvatos in particular) but flooded online.

Private OD office that I'm currently working at only sells independent frame lines.

Lines that I would recommend:

Lafont - Art Deco styling made in France. Good quality, great styling and colors.

Tom Davies - offers Bespoke custom made frames made in England. You can customize almost every aspect (eyesize, bridge size, bridge type, temple length, frame curvature, colors of frame front, nose pads, temple color, temple cover color) My personal favorite and what I'm wearing.

Gold and Wood - very high end frames with amazing craftsmanship. 2 year warranty and pt can register the frame for an additional year of warranty. Wood frames are spectacular, some have buffalo horn as well. Offer gold plated rimless and 18 ct gold rimless with jewels of pts choice. Only thing I don't like is the "standard" rimless - Mercure and Luna - use Monel (WTF?)

Nano Vista - great virtually indestructible kids line that is very colorful. They have some glow-in-dark models.

We also have some niche brands like Henau (geometric shapes) and Faniel (artistic frames using recycled acetate) that are interesting.

Anyone sell any 3D printed frames? We sell Monoqool but I'm not really thrilled with them. We are considering switching to Klenzebaum.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 10-07-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You sound like you are in an interesting demographic. Would you share what your market is like?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK, time for the 4th quarter sales rep reviews.

First of all, I'm always open to trying stuff, and we have tried Nike because I was interested in sport sunwear. Then the rep made me a killer deal on opening 24 pieces last year, so we bought kids and ophthalmic. I bought Nike Flexon, with the intent on seeing whether dudes would gravitate more to Flexon because of Nike. I have found that in my market, nobody really is hype on Nike as a brand, especially with their "limited appeal" marketing strategies. Go figure.

Nike sunwear is mostly inexpensive and rather low-end quality, although they have some moderate-end stuff. I want to Rx everything I buy, so it really hasn't worked very well. I don't mind popping in some tinted poly SV into a cheap frame, but at least half of our patients want wrap PALs, polar, etc. and the frames just aren't worthy of that. So the search continues. We have tried Arnette from Lux: same deal. We're going to see Under Armor from Safilo, but it's going to be the same, I'm sure. We've had some success with quality in Safilo's Carrera, but that brand is not super-appealing.

Meanwhile, Rayban moves more and more into "hip street wear" eliminating them more and more. Sure, you can get a few styles that work, and the frames are decent.

I'm trying to avoid Maui Jim and Costa, because I don't want to do their lenses/use their lab. Same with Oakley. A pox on Oakley.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    You sound like you are in an interesting demographic. Would you share what your market is like?
    I'm in a fairly high income area. We don't accept any vision plans either.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 10-07-2022 at 11:40 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, time for the 4th quarter sales rep reviews.

First of all, I'm always open to trying stuff, and we have tried Nike because I was interested in sport sunwear. Then the rep made me a killer deal on opening 24 pieces last year, so we bought kids and ophthalmic. I bought Nike Flexon, with the intent on seeing whether dudes would gravitate more to Flexon because of Nike. I have found that in my market, nobody really is hype on Nike as a brand, especially with their "limited appeal" marketing strategies. Go figure.

Nike sunwear is mostly inexpensive and rather low-end quality, although they have some moderate-end stuff. I want to Rx everything I buy, so it really hasn't worked very well. I don't mind popping in some tinted poly SV into a cheap frame, but at least half of our patients want wrap PALs, polar, etc. and the frames just aren't worthy of that. So the search continues. We have tried Arnette from Lux: same deal. We're going to see Under Armor from Safilo, but it's going to be the same, I'm sure. We've had some success with quality in Safilo's Carrera, but that brand is not super-appealing.

Meanwhile, Rayban moves more and more into "hip street wear" eliminating them more and more. Sure, you can get a few styles that work, and the frames are decent.

I'm trying to avoid Maui Jim and Costa, because I don't want to do their lenses/use their lab. Same with Oakley. A pox on Oakley.
    I've hated the quality of lab work I've seen from Costa and Oakley. Maui Jim's lab in Peoria, however, has been excellent in both quality and turn around time.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    Anyone sell any 3D printed frames? We sell Monoqool but I'm not really thrilled with them. We are considering switching to Klenzebaum.
    Orgreen's Quantum line has had some success for us and is 3D printed. Super light and with titanium temples, only drawback is there isn't a huge variance in selection of shapes and colours.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So...when tuning up the Flexon collection, the frame rep was kind to bring in Marchon/VSP's Nine West line. It's a good line. Not great, but good. It appeals to the "core" ladies. They have sun, petite, etc. Prices on Marchon are over-inflated so that VSP can give their members extra money off, and spiff practices to sell their product (essentially). That's where the "extra discount" and "spiff" comes from...a higher-than-comparable-product price point. (But I got them for a deal, so...)

But aesthetically it's pretty nice and the quality is pretty good.
    Last edited by drk; 10-07-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've hated the quality of lab work I've seen from Costa and Oakley. Maui Jim's lab in Peoria, however, has been excellent in both quality and turn around time.
    Everyone says that. But I've heard they've been purchased by someone. Probably Essilux.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maui Jim was bought by Kering.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As to the Flexon line, I give VSPMarchon credit...they are doing a better job with styles. (Not for the ladies....avert your eyes!) The prices are ridiculous. The quality is not as good as the price indicates. But it's pretty low-hanging fruit that has a strong brand presence and a lot of choice in style, if you're into memory metal, or you have to pray to VSP to get on their Premiere Plan to get good "S.E.O." on their "participating providers" listing on VSP.com.

Can you do the same with, say, Turaflex? Probably, kinda-sorta.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ah so. I doubt Kering is going to eff things up.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ODoS_HBB View Post
    Orgreen's Quantum line has had some success for us and is 3D printed. Super light and with titanium temples, only drawback is there isn't a huge variance in selection of shapes and colours.
    We carry the standard Orgreen lines. I'm looking into the Quantum line as well as the Kenzebaum. Monoqool uses stainless steel temples and is more expensive than the Orgreen Quantum.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah so. I doubt Kering is going to eff things up.
    As of now, Kering is leaving Maui Jim alone as its own seperate thing. If they move lens production out of Peoria facility in the future, I would bail on Maui Jim RX at that point.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm trying to avoid Maui Jim and Costa, because I don't want to do their lenses/use their lab.
    Have you tried the Maui lab? I have been happily surprised with them, I can't remember the last time I had to reorder a lens for having a defect of some sort.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll look into it. Thanks!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, I've seen a few lines.

I looked at Europa's Scott Harris. It's not the world's most awesome quality, but it's good. It has a lot of fun styles. It can be thought of as a higher-fashion line but for less. It's a decent "lowest-price-point" collection for higher-end opticals or a decent "fun, moderate priced" line for average opticals. It's good, not great.

I looked at Under Armor. It's still not developed enough. You could make a decent small collection, but it's not very compelling, all-in-all. It looks like the previous Smith line. Meh. Should improve over time?

I looked at Liz Claibourne. To me, it's a gem. Its so deep and not repetitive. It's the core line for our women's optical, to be frank. "Contemporary" styling, which means very conservative but updated nicely.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saw Ralph, Ralph Lauren, and Polo.

Ralph and Polo are positioned as middle-tier product (China). Ralph Lauren (now female and male) is positioned as "made in Italy" and is a little more luxe.

Ralph Lauren: as always, American style. Dressy. Serious. Kind of "east coast". Think: someone who would wear a scarf or a sweater.

Ralph: young, colorful, silly, fun. Kind of repetitive. Good younger ladies line, or even as a price point option. I call it "eye candy". Heavily, heavily weighted towards plastic.
    Ralph sun: this includes more mature-ish so can reach a larger demographic. Easy to Rx. Not expensive. We do well enough with it.

Polo: metal and plastic, very "Polo" in it's coloration and design. Lots of retro/keyhole/tortiose-of-all-hues, but some metal with colorful trim. We sell it, gradually, and it doesn't seem to sell primarily for the brand, but for the overall look/feel.
    Polo sun: We don't carry it now, but kind of sneaky good.

So, the idea is:

Ralph for ladies (ophthalmic and sun) = Polo for men (ophthalmic and sun)

Then Ralph Lauren for both but it's a designer line with a serious take on itself.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, sadly I have to take back my recommendation of Gold & Wood frames. News broke on Friday that bankruptcy has been filed. Reps were not given advance notice either. Store locator has already been disabled on their website.

We want to keep higher-end wood frames so we have reached out to Rolf Spectacles and Herrlicht as a possible replacement. I'll give feedback if/when I am able to get my hands on them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just saw Vogue and Arnette. Not too much to like.

Arnette has cheap stuff. Vogue has cheap stuff. Most of it is weird, but some of it is good.

Vogue, Arnette, Armani Exchange is really just lower-end hit or miss eye candy for the teeny boppers of all ages.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Large frames for ladies

Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Be careful of anything in XL. Very easy to get to many of them on the board regardless of who makes them. There are a few EXTRA LARGE cantaloupes out there but not that many. When I come across them I find the person wants something that feels substantial in their big beefy hands like Safilo, Marcolin, Marchon.
    Now where I struggle finding anything for is a EXTRA LARGE cantaloupe on a lady. Sophia Lauren is the only thing that comes to mind for me. Now lets make it really tough. Extra large frame for a lady with a square face......ughhhhh, or maybe a large Asian or black person with a large head and not bridge for glasses to sit on.

Lulu Guinness (Tura) has great large frames for ladies. I sell them like crazy. Beautiful styles too

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I've sold Monoqools before and owned a pair as well. The clear temple tips fade really quickly and get dirt into them easily as well. Good thing you can just slide them off and clean it. It's a decent brand to have around because of the colors and funky shapes (That is if thats' your clientele ex:l.a. works, etnia barcelona)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I feel dirty talking about Marchon frames and certainly the Nike collection. Dirty, Colin Kapernick Sweat-Shop Nike. Whatevs...we like sporty sunglasses.

They continue to have a large supply of wrappy and not-so-wrappy sporty, made-cheaply sunglasses. More than anyone else (except weird ones like Bolle).

All genders, but women don't go this direction in the midwest. (Maybe we need more lady joggers.)

Kids? Cheap plastic. (Not a great seller, here, but I don't know why. Most kids aren't into politics.)

Adults? They have the Flexon thing, but it doesn't compete well with "real" Flexon, even though we display it side-by-side and they have some decent styles. What works is...you guessed it...the cheap plastic.

So, Nike is the plastic-y, colorful, matte, swooshy, occipital temple-y brand.

It is what it is.
    Last edited by drk; 12-01-2022 at 02:23 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    I've sold Monoqools before and owned a pair as well. The clear temple tips fade really quickly and get dirt into them easily as well. Good thing you can just slide them off and clean it. It's a decent brand to have around because of the colors and funky shapes (That is if thats' your clientele ex:l.a. works, etnia barcelona)
    I got to look at the Quantum High (3D printed collection) by Orgreen and I find them superior to Monoqool. IMO, the nose pad design is better (Built in with 3 size options), much smoother frame finish, temples are beta titanium vs the stainless steel in Monoqool. They are also approx. $30 cheaper on the wholesale side as well.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel dirty talking about Marchon frames and certainly the Nike collection. Dirty, Colin Kapernick Sweat-Shop Nike. Whatevs...we like sporty sunglasses.

They continue to have a large supply of wrappy and not-so-wrappy sporty, made-cheaply sunglasses. More than anyone else (except weird ones like Bolle).

All genders, but women don't go this direction in the midwest. (Maybe we need more lady joggers.)

Kids? Cheap plastic. (Not a great seller, here, but I don't know why. Most kids aren't into politics.)

Adults? They have the Flexon thing, but it doesn't compete well with "real" Flexon, even though we display it side-by-side and they have some decent styles. What works is...you guessed it...the cheap plastic.

So, Nike is the plastic-y, colorful, matte, swooshy, occipital temple-y brand.

It is what it is.
    I find it a bit odd that Marchon has had the memory metal (Flexon) and hasn't changed the design really at all since they debuted them in the late 80's.

We are currently looking for a sporty-ish sunglass line from an independent vendor. Maui Jim would have easily been the choice but the Kering deal has nixed them from our owner's consideration. I'm open to any suggestions if anyone has a recommendation. Would prefer not to carry any cheaply made frames from China.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaughner View Post
    Lulu Guinness (Tura) has great large frames for ladies. I sell them like crazy. Beautiful styles too
    I sold Lulu's for about 10 years. Unique women's frames with great styles. We moved them quickly.

Thread Information