Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Optiboard's Re-Birth

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just saw Luxottica's Ralph collection. I feel they've taken it up a notch. It's good stuff. It's a "buy" recommendation from me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Careful, wouldn't want to agitate your customers.

https://www.essence.com/fashion/ralp...ride-campaign/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Careful, wouldn't want to agitate your customers.

https://www.essence.com/fashion/ralp...ride-campaign/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	15373

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ha ha.

I'll let you know if young females are offended by Pride marketing.

I do know males are offended by Nike.

And I'm offended by your stupid.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ooh good I mean much offense by my stupid. They should have been offended for years and years by Nike. The LGBT Be True campaign has been around since 2012. Nike featured a trans athlete in their 2016 commercial, but it is just now 7 years later that these people are up in arms? I wonder why that is? What a head scratcher, the world may never know.

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...er-athlete-ad/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	15373

I am under no disillusion that big corporations are here for the money and not the cause. I've said so in other threads. In fact publicly traded companies have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders to do what is in the best interest of the company. I don't understand why anyone would hitch themselves to a corporation like that, then complain when they don't like what that company decides to do, but hey that's just me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah I agree, they definitely are in it for the money and not the cause.

I started laughing when I saw Kid Rock shoot up Bud light. I don't understand why anyone would get that mad to destroy something they've already paid for. I get not buying more, but you've already paid for it. That's a waste. In the case of Bud light it's less of a waste than it normally would be ^_^ Bill Maher said on his show that someone should tell these rich people that they are rich, they don't have to drink Bud light.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Ooh good I mean much offense by my stupid. They should have been offended for years and years by Nike. The LGBT Be True campaign has been around since 2012. Nike featured a trans athlete in their 2016 commercial, but it is just now 7 years later that these people are up in arms? I wonder why that is? What a head scratcher, the world may never know.

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...er-athlete-ad/
    Not a huge fan of the idea of transgenderism in general. I think there is legitimately some people who have gender dysphoria, different levels of gray matter in their brain make them feel like the opposite gender. Do I think the majority of people claiming to be another gender are experiencing this phenomanon--I do not. To each their own, it doesn't hurt me. What I don't like though is how people cannot even have this conversation without being called transphobic.

With all that said, HUGE PROPS TO CHRIS MOSIER! I don't recall this commercial or anything about him. But damn, very impressive that a transgender man is competing against the men and made the olympic team!! I think this ad varies massively compared to having Dylan Mulvaney jump around in a sports bra. That to me seems like Nike was pandering to the trans community. Why not put an actual athlete in the ad that did not have the biological advantages that all the men have and he still made the olympic team?!? If you cannot get on board with Chris Mosier and what he has accomplished, you are actually transphobic.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just saw DeRigo/REM.

I only have their JNY (which is..."traditional" but not bad) and "Yalea" (which is what's left over of Carolina Herrera after Safilo done stoled it).

Yalea is different, for sure. It has a lot of detail, as a rule. Their shapes have been difficult, historically, but they're doing much better. And now they're thinning out the eyewires and temples which helps.

If you like "different" and you like detail and very nice color variation, you should check it out.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Just saw DeRigo/REM.

I only have their JNY (which is..."traditional" but not bad) and "Yalea" (which is what's left over of Carolina Herrera after Safilo done stoled it).

Yalea is different, for sure. It has a lot of detail, as a rule. Their shapes have been difficult, historically, but they're doing much better. And now they're thinning out the eyewires and temples which helps.

If you like "different" and you like detail and very nice color variation, you should check it out.
    DeRigo REM also has John Varvatos, which is my favorite men's line of all time.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've seen that in their catalogue. Do you like it because it's "rock and roll"? And does it sell?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've seen that in their catalogue. Do you like it because it's "rock and roll"? And does it sell?
    I do like it because it's rock and roll. I like that it has interesting details and smaller eye sizes (which my -9 eyes need) and more than just the typical black/brown/grey of men's frames. They don't fly off the board; they are one of my higher-priced options. But the patients wo get them are always thrilled. They are a showpiece line for me.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't sell them anymore but I'm a fan of Varvatos. Nice detail on the titanium frames, they were a good seller for me if you have the clientele for the price point. Philipp Plein from DeRigo/REM are nice if you want something a bit chunkier and bolder looking as well. Higher price point than Varvatos though.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just saw Etnia Barcelona and Lool today.

Etnia has some interesting acetates all made with Mazzucchelli. Nice colors, cool layering and nice thick frame fronts and robust square temples. The few stainless steel samples I saw were much less impressive. Biggest negative for me is the spring temples. I'd rather not have springs at this price point. Also the hinge is covered top and bottom by the acetate sleeve of the temple so you wont be able to replace a screw easily, if at all. If you can handle the temple design, i think is a quality line for the price. I was quoted 36 piece buy-in.

Lool is stainless steel inline metal groove with screwless hinges. It is very similiar to Ovvo, IC Berlin, and Mykita. They are very lightweight, traditional conservative shapes, mainly neutral colors. Smaller collection than most of the similair brands but also a lower price point. I liked it and think it is a good value but I like the styling and hinges of the others a bit better. Worthy of consideration if you want to carry these type of frames. I was quoted 24 piece buy-in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I just saw Etnia Barcelona and Lool today.

Etnia has some interesting acetates all made with Mazzucchelli. Nice colors, cool layering and nice thick frame fronts and robust square temples. The few stainless steel samples I saw were much less impressive. Biggest negative for me is the spring temples. I'd rather not have springs at this price point. Also the hinge is covered top and bottom by the acetate sleeve of the temple so you wont be able to replace a screw easily, if at all. If you can handle the temple design, i think is a quality line for the price. I was quoted 36 piece buy-in.

Lool is stainless steel inline metal groove with screwless hinges. It is very similiar to Ovvo, IC Berlin, and Mykita. They are very lightweight, traditional conservative shapes, mainly neutral colors. Smaller collection than most of the similair brands but also a lower price point. I liked it and think it is a good value but I like the styling and hinges of the others a bit better. Worthy of consideration if you want to carry these type of frames. I was quoted 24 piece buy-in.
    Yeah the hinge being covered up is not fun. There is a screw on the temple that allows the temple to slide out so you can get access to the hinge. MAJOR PITA to replace the temples but the nice thing is the parts are all free for as long as they have them. I really like the different colors of the collection--though it seems to be a bigger hit with women. The Lool collection seems to do better with men, minimal and extremely lightweight. I've sold quite a bit to engineers in our area.
    Last edited by NAICITPO; 06-14-2023 at 01:32 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Saw the following brands today: Coco Song, CCS by Coco Song, La Matta, Genesis, and David Spencer (several lines). None of which had a miminum purchase quantity.

Coco Song: Use silk, feathers, and flowers in the acetate patterns and semi-precious stones in the temples. Traditional shapes with lots of color pop, pretty, artisitic designs. Made with Mazzuccchelli acetate. They reuse the same patterns in many of the styles. I'm a fan of the frame fronts but didn't think the hinges were of the same quality (average spring hinges, I don't understand spring hinges in something at this price). I did not like the few metal styles I saw at all. I'm not paying that price for a Monel frame. 2 year warranty.

CCS by Coco Song: Thinner slightly more "youthful" look than Coco at a lower price point, still with lots of color. Non-spring temple was a plus. Many styles have 24K gold foil inlays in the acetate. Ironically most of their metals are stainless steel where the more expensive Coco is monel, strange. More interesting than Coco for me.

La Motta: Larger women's line with some cool animal prints. I wasn't a fan of the temple patterns in general. Most of the small temple insets were screwed in. Felt like many warranty claims waiting to happen. Hard pass from me.

Genesis: Pop Art inspired collection at a fair price point. Unique but very niche. Mainly acetates. Decent quality for the price.

David Spencer: 1st time seeing it although I've seen it mentioned here several times. Acetate is Takiron from Japan (which is my personal preference over Mazzucchelli: higher luster, smoother feel, even though I hear it slightly more brittle. Tom Davies and Orgreen both use Takiron). I liked what i saw. Good variety of styles and colors. I could see it being a good "core" bread and butter frame line. Thumbs up from me.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forgot to mention: I saw Catch London a few weeks ago.

Catch is a significanly less expensive frame line from Tom Davies in London. Colorful Takiron acetate collection at a great price point. We plan on carrying this line whenever we have room to add them.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    Forgot to mention: I saw Catch London a few weeks ago.

Catch is a significanly less expensive frame line from Tom Davies in London. Colorful Takiron acetate collection at a great price point. We plan on carrying this line whenever we have room to add them.
    I saw this line with a rep a while back and I loved it. Very colorful and seems like they are built well. It reminds me of a less expensive Andy Wolf.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We saw the latest and greatest from Kering's Gucci yesterday, and they have really upped their game. Gorgeous, gorgeous line.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Without saying the price, how's the price? :)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Soooo, I've seen some new stuff:

OWP brands: OWP, Metropolitan, Mexx

Wolf

Brett

Honestly, I didn't care for most of the OWP stuff - quality to price ratio was not in line to me. Cheap spring hinges in almost all of them. The Mexx was the best value of the bunch but i wasn't impressed with any of it to be honest. 15 piece minimum that can include any mix of the 3 brands.

Wolf was better - decent styling, some nice unique colors. Wasn't different enough from what we already carry. Pretty sure these are Chinese materials. Rep didn't know much. Go figure. No minimums.

Brett - love love love. Pictures online don't do it justice. Men's line whose core line is block titanium. They also have unique acetate-titanium combos, Mazzucchelli acetates with titanium temples, and some very nice looking carbon fiber models. You can feel the quality. High end frames with a lower than expected price point. We will be carrying this very soon. Recommended.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Took a look at Europa today. They have a kids line NB4K and they've come out with a solid new idea. You know how Carrera has those elastic gripper temple hinges? You remember when Silhouette did that with kiddy Adidas? They have reproduced something like that for kids.

Colors are fun and not too cartoonish. Good sizes even up to 50. Reasonable price.

Also: the vintage collection is pretty good. It's authentic looking. Quality is decent.

Also: I use the Scott Harris for the Scottettes (ladies). They have a handful of fun styles and colors with good quality and a good price. Kind of a fun (but sellable) collection.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Took a look at Europa today. They have a kids line NB4K and they've come out with a solid new idea. You know how Carrera has those elastic gripper temple hinges? You remember when Silhouette did that with kiddy Adidas? They have reproduced something like that for kids.

Colors are fun and not too cartoonish. Good sizes even up to 50. Reasonable price.

Also: the vintage collection is pretty good. It's authentic looking. Quality is decent.

Also: I use the Scott Harris for the Scottettes (ladies). They have a handful of fun styles and colors with good quality and a good price. Kind of a fun (but sellable) collection.
    I think you mean DB4K. Rep brought those in a few days ago. New ones have a hinge similiar to the original Nano Vista hinges before they switched to the current 3.0 style hinge. I liked those pretty well. Advantages over the Nanos was the frame fronts were more rigid, and cost less.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey a Modo rep just stopped in. Any reviews of Modo?

Thread Information