Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Optiboard's Re-Birth

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You know what's selling hot? (You probably do...) Anything translucent. Especially the off-crystal pinks/tans.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    You know what's selling hot? (You probably do...) Anything translucent. Especially the off-crystal pinks/tans.
    Funny you should say that. Just had a coworker get a crystal frame last week and next thing I know a second coworker came to me today asking for a crystal frame "like Brenda's."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It seems to me like it's the natural "evolution" of the chunky black nerd frame.
    Step one: thin black nerd frame
    Step two: thin black not-nerdy frame
    Step three: thin clear/touch of color not-nerdy frame
    Step four: thin colorful frame?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It seems to me like it's the natural "evolution" of the chunky black nerd frame.
    Step one: thin black nerd frame
    Step two: thin black not-nerdy frame
    Step three: thin clear/touch of color not-nerdy frame
    Step four: thin colorful frame?
    Time to start stocking Silhouette plastics!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Would like to extoll the virtues of DeRigo/REM's Carolina Herrera.

Yes, it's a bit pricer, but the design is very unique, the colors are faaaabbbbulous, and it's just a lot of fun.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Would like to extoll the virtues of DeRigo/REM's Carolina Herrera.

Yes, it's a bit pricer, but the design is very unique, the colors are faaaabbbbulous, and it's just a lot of fun.
    +1. I love this line.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Been negligent on this thread, but starting to see reps for 2021.

Saw Silhouette today.

We have the sadz because they have d/c Neubeau in the U.S. We actually were doing pretty well with it.
    We of course had the sadz prior to that when adidas and Silhouette had that nasty divorce. (I hear adidas got re-married to some trailer trash.)

Silhouette is hell-bent on the rimless glasses thing, and they still are doing awesome stuff. There's a new collection called "balance" or "fusion" or something that's a flat titanium on the sides and the traditional thin titanium around the face...very nice! (Expensive...so I put on the "wish list".)

What we bought to replace Neubeau is more of the Silhouette plastic (hat tip to Ange!). They have crossed-over a lot of the colors in the styles, they're SPX, they're conservative-ish but not boring, and should appeal to the discriminating wearer. What's not to like? Well, they are not at a turn-and-burn price point.

For us, we are going to continue to carry Silhouette for the more discriminating wearer who appreciates quality, style, and most of all comfort.

Meanwhile, they are trying to enforce a minimum pieces per year purchase...24. Shouldn't be too difficult...?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been negligent on this thread, but starting to see reps for 2021.

Saw Silhouette today.

We of course had the sadz prior to that when adidas and Silhouette had that nasty divorce. (I hear adidas got re-married to some trailer trash.)
    Ha! You crack me up! We actually brought in the balance and have done well so far. (sold one the day we got them in!) They discontinued the inspire line (insert my sadz here) and I wanted to replace it with something that had a thicker temple, closer to the inspire. The balance also has a thicker corner joint, which I like a little better than the TNG. Some patients like a more rigid frame and the inspire was like that and now so is the balance.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Let’s not forget OVVO. Pricey, but wow.
    ++++1

And I'll give the same praise for OWP (Metro and Mexx) If I were to start up my own retail, these are the first two companies I would contact.

Maui Jim, Bellinger, Kliik, and Varvatos would be next.

Then Wiley X, Dutz, and Gucci.

And that is how I would build my empire.
    Last edited by Quince; 02-11-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Speaking of Gucci...

Can I get a witness? I saw the line about 2 yrs ago and it looked nice. Is it selling in your optical?

I'm looking for something with a little oomph...a little je ne se quoi...

It seems my optical is pretty "preppy" for lack of a better term...round, cutesy, colorful.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Speaking of Gucci...

Can I get a witness? I saw the line about 2 yrs ago and it looked nice. Is it selling in your optical?

It seems my optical is pretty "preppy" for lack of a better term...round, cutesy, colorful.
    The new Gucci is selling all right at our place. 2ish units per week, which is pretty standard for a "high-end" line in our optical. I'm not too fond of them personally; just a bunch of 51-55mm dark rectangles.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I see. Thanks for the critique!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    ++++1

And I'll give the same praise for OWP (Metro and Mexx) If I were to start up my own retail, these are the first two companies I would contact.

Maui Jim, Bellinger, Kliik, and Varvatos would be next.

Then Wiley X, Dutz, and Gucci.

And that is how I would build my empire.
    My opening order of OWP arrives this Thursday. I ordered one for myself and am excited for something new. I hope it's well received by customers. Seems like very nice stuff and it's different enough. Made in Germany never hurts either.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Speaking of Gucci...

Gucci sells surprisingly well. Kering has improved the overall quality of the line compared to what Safilo did.
    As for style, yeah, a bit preppy, not so “Gucci” in styling, but it seems preppy is selling now.
    Is it too much to ask for a Neostyle/Gucci mashup?
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I like rayban for the sun, for rx glasses not so much I think it depends frame by frame. each model have good quality or medium quality.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, extreme newbie here! First day, first post, but I've been lurking this board here and there for a couple of years, not considering myself worthy of joining in, though I've been in optical on and off for 22 years! lol! I love this discussion, so I had to join to chime in!

I absolutely LOVE Westgroupe and OWP, they're my favorite lines and I wear their frames personally! Our office does well with them and we keep plenty stocked, even though we're in Central Kansas. Though most of our demographic is not edgy enough to carry very stylish lines, we still sell a surprising amount of them, without pushing them on the patient. It seems that just having them on the board is enough. We do well with Tura, too, and I also love the TitanFlex line!

We started carrying 141 Eyewear, a small line from Portland, a couple years ago when our Classique rep switched to their company. We mainly carry their Ultem line, which is a SUPER lightweight, flexible zyl called Ultem. They all come with nosepads, so that's a turn-off for some who want to stay away from them, but they're so lightweight, they don't bother most! They're not the least expensive frames, for sure, but they're worth their price. We haven't had many warranty issues, and of course, we love our rep! I think one of the selling points for me is that they give back. They're called 141 bc, for each frame they sell, they give a whole pair of glasses to someone in need. One for one! I tell our patients that and they love it! I also love that the styles are all very current and each frame comes in at least 5 to 6 colors. Great line!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SelahVida View Post
    Ok, extreme newbie here! First day, first post, but I've been lurking this board here and there for a couple of years, not considering myself worthy of joining in, though I've been in optical on and off for 22 years! lol! I love this discussion, so I had to join to chime in!

I absolutely LOVE Westgroupe and OWP, they're my favorite lines and I wear their frames personally! Our office does well with them and we keep plenty stocked, even though we're in Central Kansas. Though most of our demographic is not edgy enough to carry very stylish lines, we still sell a surprising amount of them, without pushing them on the patient. It seems that just having them on the board is enough. We do well with Tura, too, and I also love the TitanFlex line!

We started carrying 141 Eyewear, a small line from Portland, a couple years ago when our Classique rep switched to their company. We mainly carry their Ultem line, which is a SUPER lightweight, flexible zyl called Ultem. They all come with nosepads, so that's a turn-off for some who want to stay away from them, but they're so lightweight, they don't bother most! They're not the least expensive frames, for sure, but they're worth their price. We haven't had many warranty issues, and of course, we love our rep! I think one of the selling points for me is that they give back. They're called 141 bc, for each frame they sell, they give a whole pair of glasses to someone in need. One for one! I tell our patients that and they love it! I also love that the styles are all very current and each frame comes in at least 5 to 6 colors. Great line!
    Welcome! Question regarding the 141 frames... you said Portland... are they made in USA?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just saw a few lines from Mr. Lux.

1. Coach. We have been pretty slow selling this. But they have redone a lot of new styles, and they're generally good. Good choice for sunwear, too.
    2. Vogue. Eye candy galore. Lots of up-to-date, fun, young stuff. I bought a lot of ophthalmic. Sunwear is too weird, but there are select styles that are good for Rx-ing and at a low price point.
    3. Arnette. Kind of a bore ophthalmically, IMHO. They do have a couple of zyl styles with a magnetic front, but I found it heavy to wear. Their sunglasses are interesting, though. They're not expensive, and they have kind of that "Oakley" vibe. Sort of. I bought into it as a fun, sporty, cheap-o sunglass line for men.
    Last edited by drk; 02-23-2021 at 02:24 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Welcome! Question regarding the 141 frames... you said Portland... are they made in USA?

Their website says they're designed in Portland, but I'm not seeing where they state where the frames are manufactured. I'll have to ask our rep, Jaron!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    141 is listed as being designed in Portland, OR. It specifically says designed, so I wonder what the frame lists as far as manufacturing. Also: welcome!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Funny you should say that. Just had a coworker get a crystal frame last week and next thing I know a second coworker came to me today asking for a crystal frame "like Brenda's."
    I bought a pair of Ray-Ban, sell them to almost every guy that comes in already wearing Zyl frames.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    141 is listed as being designed in Portland, OR. It specifically says designed, so I wonder what the frame lists as far as manufacturing. Also: welcome!

Thank you!! I Marco Polo'd Jaron and he got right back with me and told me that the Ultem frames are made in S. Korea and the Acetates are made in China.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So I got a look at Safilo's Carrera line last week.

I thought it was pretty good. They have moderate styling which is good for sellability. One thing I look for when I put in a line is "distinctiveness" or character. These have that in a couple of ways. They have the Carrera-brand coloration (mostly red) in mostly subtle places on the frames, like temples, inside the temples, etc. If you select the right pieces, they say "Carrera" but they don't scream it.

They also have added technical features such as titanium and memory metal which is "on-brand" but they also have stainless steel for regular quality. Oh, and they have Optyl, which I think is really cool.

Prices are commensurate with the brand...moderately high to kinda high. They're going to retail here from $200-300.

Bottom line, it's a sporty collection of high tech frames. Just like the racecar industry. I think it's going to take the checkered flag.
    Last edited by drk; 03-18-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Last week I also saw Tommy Hilfiger. The line has potential and we have some pieces. They have cute girl stuff that sells, but I think the number of really good styles is limited. I didn't pore over the men's stuff, but it's colorful and fun. It's not particularly inexpensive.

TH doesn't have a huge brand anymore, in my mind (I could be wrong) and the frames don't have a particular style, but there are good pieces, for sure. It's not a "must have" by any means.
    Last edited by drk; 03-15-2021 at 06:34 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I also reviewed Adensco from Safilo. It has been in my office FOREVER and it still works well. It has very traditional styles for men, and it has trendy stuff for men. It has traditional styles for women, and trendy styles for women.

The funny thing is that they keep styles around for years and years (I know, Safilo does that more than anyone) but it seems like that is a "hall of fame" in and of itself...if a man's traditional style has been selling for seven years, well that means it works.

They always seem to add just a very few pieces per season, but they lift some of the better stuff from the bigger name collections, I think.

The price is weird...it's too high to be "covered" by managed care, but a fair price point for it's quality/serviceablilty by a major vendor. Yeah, backorders.

Further on down the line was Chesterfield, the line brilliantly named after an old couch or a pack of cancer sticks. It continues to have the deepest and most fashionable XL collection I know of. Just lots of good XL stuff.

Thread Information