Thread: Best lens type/technology for this complicated RX?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Best lens type/technology for this complicated RX?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current p.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	14555

Distance acuity R 6/7.5- L6/7.5-

What in your opinion would provide the most crisp and optimized vision for this RX, I was thinking a free form lens with a high index such as a Zeiss Individual Lens, I have never tried a free form lens before, does anyone have much experience with prescribing them to customers?

The main issue with this RX being vision when reading text in the distance such as a car number plate at 17M+ becomes very distorted, although from the opticians room results (distance acuity) at this distance, this should not be an issue.

When attempting to read a number plate after 17 Meters, the numbers become fuzzy, unfocused, too small, M's look like W's, D's look like 0's, X's look like K's..

Zeiss claim on their website their lenses are able to maintain a more focused, sharp and crisp vision, however there does not seem to be many reviews of the Zeiss Individual Lens out there.

What Index and material is also likely to best suit this RX? Also would contact lenses be a better option to possibly provide better vision to completely reduce any distortion created by the magnification/minification effect?.

Thanks
    Last edited by lionz21; 01-12-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Question, Lion.

How do you know that this patient is going to have problems seeing at 17 meters (odd distance, that)?

Did the patient tell you in that he's filled this very same Rx, and had problems explicitly saying "M's look like W's, etc.", and now he's coming to you for a remake?

What in particular makes this a complicated Rx?

I'm worried that you may be a Do-it-yourselfer?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Question, Lion.

How do you know that this patient is going to have problems seeing at 17 meters (odd distance, that)?

Did the patient tell you in that he's filled this very same Rx, and had problems explicitly saying "M's look like W's, etc.", and now he's coming to you for a remake?

What in particular makes this a complicated Rx?

I'm worried that you may be a Do-it-yourselfer?

Thank you for your reply, I am asking for a friend, who even with her latest prescription is undergoing this issue. I myself work at a high street glasses frame shop. My friend has explained to me after 17M meters reading a number plate becomes difficult and I suggested getting more information on free form lenses which may improve sharpness of text. In the UK 20M is the test standard to read a number plate, unfortunately not many Opticians in the UK offer much, if any information on free form lenses, as they don't facilitate them, and some of the biggest chains such as Vision Express not acknowledging their existance. Complications of this RX being the high - astigmatism inconjunction with the + SPH and the issue of her not being able to focus on a number plate as easy despite achieving 6/7.5- in the opticians room.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If this was my patient, I'd be recommending a digital lens in a hyper high index material, likely 1.67, and of course with an anti-reflective coating. I love the Zeiss Individual lens and use it personally. Don't underestimate the importance of frame selection in keeping these lenses thin.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by lionz21 View Post
    Thank you for your reply, I am asking for a friend, who even with her latest prescription is undergoing this issue. I myself work at a high street glasses frame shop. My friend has explained to me after 17M meters reading a number plate becomes difficult and I suggested getting more information on free form lenses which may improve sharpness of text. In the UK 20M is the test standard to read a number plate, unfortunately not many Opticians in the UK offer much, if any information on free form lenses, as they don't facilitate them, and some of the biggest chains such as Vision Express not acknowledging their existance. Complications of this RX being the high - astigmatism inconjunction with the + SPH and the issue of her not being able to focus on a number plate as easy despite achieving 6/7.5- in the opticians room.
    Honestly it seems to me that you are not an eyecare professional. As per the forum rules you agreed to when you registered:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics."

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information