Thread: Blue Light Blocking UV!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Light Blocking UV!

Hi everyone,

Just for your information, I am a student optician and very new to this forum. Please excuse me for any mistake or stupid questions I may raise here!

Recently, I have discovered something myself. Theory said that the Blue Light Coating on Lenses supposed to blocking the Blue UV, and when we use the test pen to test, the blue light should not go through the lenses. I tried the test pen one time and surprisingly see the light go through "Blue Coating Lenses", but not on "Regular Anti-reflection lenses". I do not understand the reason, may some one please explain it to me.

Another question is, just right now in Canadian market, which the brand and type of lenses are the best for Blue Light Filter?

For the Blue blocking, is that just a coating on top of the lenses or The lab actually makes the lenses come with blue blocking already?

Thank you,

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the Blue Light Hype Train where everything is made up and the points don't matter!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Most blue light blockers actually only reduce a small part of the spectrum and are not true blockers i.e. notch or band filters. The name is misleading. If you wish to block blue light completely it is very difficult (saturated yellow or orange lenses often are quite good) but the MAR types are of limited / no use. The blue blocking AR types usually have a narrow band of blue reduced - whether it is of any use is debateable although there are some effects that can be useful. There is a lot of hype about blue blockers - and their effects - but it is fair to say that there can be some limited effects for some people. caveat emptor. As an optical professional you should know about tints - how to recognise when they are necessary, symptoms, assessment and testing methods, management techniques, dispensing options, metamerism, gamuts . macadams ellipses and much more. Empirical prescribing is always a risk

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rianlam View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just for your information, I am a student optician and very new to this forum. Please excuse me for any mistake or stupid questions I may raise here!

Recently, I have discovered something myself. Theory said that the Blue Light Coating on Lenses supposed to blocking the Blue UV, and when we use the test pen to test, the blue light should not go through the lenses. I tried the test pen one time and surprisingly see the light go through "Blue Coating Lenses", but not on "Regular Anti-reflection lenses". I do not understand the reason, may some one please explain it to me.

Another question is, just right now in Canadian market, which the brand and type of lenses are the best for Blue Light Filter?

For the Blue blocking, is that just a coating on top of the lenses or The lab actually makes the lenses come with blue blocking already?

Thank you,
    Is the test pen one designed to work with the exact brand of "blue blocker" lens you're using? If it's from another lens company, it's designed to make their particular lens look good, and may not work the same way for another.

That said, blue blocking lenses are bunk, and the pens are more bunk.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I agree about pen test - but don't agree that there are no effects of blue light (although they are overhyped). If you want to stop blue - you have to use a tint not a form of AR coating. The effects of a tint are usually small but an example of where a blue blocker can help is in night driving. Most optical professionals are critical of this but there are thousands of pairs of "night driving" glasses sold. All reduce blue. The science is arguable and there are a few theories as to why they work - or not depending on your view. All I would say is that I find them an improvement - and measurably so. But for others they will be neutral or poor. Perhaps it is time for the optical professions to be trained in tint management.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Blue light blocking and Blue light filtering are completely different animals.
    To save time, consider Blue Light filtering products as enhanced UV protection. Nothing more.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    The blue pens are 405 nm +/- 10mw they only perform their magic trick with products focused in the 400-420 nm range(for instants Mitsui Chemicals UV++). Many products now are focused on the 435-455 nm range because that has been proposed as the the primary wavelength range emitted from digital devices to combat the newly marketed concept of Digital Eye Strain.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    unfortunately its just not true - we have some of the most advanced instruments in the world - and although there may be a case for degeneration it does not follow that there are symptoms. I am just un the process of putting a course on filters on youtube - should be finished in around a month - then I intend to put my video collection up for professional use only - around 500 videos of the effects of tints / filters on patients - some of them are mind blowing and will be very controversial.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Blue light blocking and Blue light filtering are completely different animals.
    To save time, consider Blue Light filtering products as enhanced UV protection. Nothing more.
    blue light coating is more yellowish hue correct for digital devices, does it specifically have to be blue coating?

blue filter Ar coating can be blue or green but it’s not for digital devices, it’s more for enhanced protection from LEd lights and the sun??

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticia_n View Post
    blue light coating is more yellowish hue correct for digital devices, does it specifically have to be blue coating?

blue filter Ar coating can be blue or green but it’s not for digital devices, it’s more for enhanced protection from LEd lights and the sun??
    The filters are stopping HEV blue light from passing through, so a yellowish tinge is the result. The coatings are different; the front side is for all intents and purposes a flash mirror, so it reflects the HEV blue spectrum, hence a bluish/purplish residual reflection.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My best blue light filtering lens blocks 22% of the harmful blue light.

Smoke n mirrors man.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rumor has it R&D at a very large lens company is working on a coating which will mitigate the harmful effects of Covid-19.

Not sure what the price will be but it will only be available with their lenses with their AR coat.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Rumor has it R&D at a very large lens company is working on a coating which will mitigate the harmful effects of Covid-19.

Not sure what the price will be but it will only be available with their lenses with their AR coat.
    It's all fun and games until it affects you huh Fester. smh.

This comment is about as brilliant as Rep. Matt Gaetz

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's morbid humor and I'm sorry it offended you but I stand by it as we muddle through this latest flu virus related health crisis.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's morbid humor and I'm sorry it offended you but I stand by it as we muddle through this latest flu virus related health crisis.
    I am sorry but I found it hilarious.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    it looks neat lol

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glasses.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	14611

No definitive analysis has been conducted on assessing light transmission or lens transparency with the new coating, but as Uncle Fester suggested, CORONAZAL© is the best in the market at attenuating COVID-19 transmission. Also comes with a 2-year unlimited scratch warranty.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does wearing glasses help protect you against coronavirus?

Possibly, according to the waste_of_digital_bits_and_paper NY post.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/does-w...t-coronavirus/

There's even more horrifying examples of ignorant advice circulating, mostly from social media, but occasionally from misinformed or disinformed major media.

That said, businesses now have varying strategies to keep their clients safe. For example, it has been reported that American Airlines is preventing airborne spread of virus by regularly depressurizing planes mid-flight, Lyft is implementing a slightly less horrible version of whatever Uber is doing, McDonalds is adding immune-boosting essential oils to fry bins, and Dave & Buster’s is leaving it up to you if you think all this is worth the risk.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Not sure what the price will be but it will only be available with their lenses with their Aoat.
    this is technically possible as viruses have different survival rates on different surfaces. a nanostructured coating would probably be the best way forward

Thread Information