Thread: lensometer pins not holding ink

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

lensometer pins not holding ink

I need some help from experience. My 3 marking pins (makes the alignment dots) on my lensometer just don't seem to hold the ink. I hear my lab person loudly smashing those pins against the lens, I think her marks are scratches. Adding ink doesn't help much.

Or is there a special ink that is better? Or do the pins need to be periodically replaced? Where would I find pins for a Marco lensometer?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm an OD so may have not used the right exact terminology.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Your terminology is correct. The pins usually don't hold more ink than what is neccessary for each inking. It sounds like your problem is the pad or the roller in the ink well. Check that and make sure its has enough cushion for the pins to "sink" in to the ink. Occasionally, I spray a little alcohol into the well to stretch the ink.

Oh, and tell the lab person that it's a dotting device, not an engraver!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: SOLUTION TO ........................lensometer pins not holding ink

harry888 said:
    I need some help from experience. My 3 marking pins (makes the alignment dots) on my lensometer just don't seem to hold the ink. I hear my lab person loudly smashing those pins against the lens, I think her marks are scratches. Adding ink doesn't help much.

Or is there a special ink that is better? Or do the pins need to be periodically replaced? Where would I find pins for a Marco lensometer?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm an OD so may have not used the right exact terminology.

Harry

Harry,

Use a different ink.

The old check writer ink which thick and oily applied on the roller will not dry and work nearly forever, and is easily wiped off the lens.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some lensometers have tubular pins that can become clogged. A few even have fiber or felt inserts to retain ink. Take the devise apart an clean it, see if it doesn't do wonders.

Chip

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My lensometer predates....

I am using and old B&L vertometer that predates me, and even Chip!! For a temporary solution try spraying a little denatured alcohol on the pad. It works for me!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW
    Does anybody knows if they still make the pins for B@L 70?
    I use a pen springs to put inside them. Works well.

Bad address email on file
    I have gotten both the pinpoint and the cup style recently. I prefer the pinpoint for accuracy, but from the sounds of your tech.. probably better off with a cup to make a larger more obvious dot.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

First, what is checkwriter ink?

second, where would I find new pins?

Harry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    New pins, probably not, but cleanable reusable ones. Try your local optical lab. They always have lots of stuffl like this from clients that folded, etc.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Re: SOLUTION TO ........................lensometer pins not holding ink

[The old check writer ink which thick and oily applied on the roller will not dry and work nearly forever, and is easily wiped off the lens. [/QUOTE]

Chris,

Please advise about "the old check writer ink". Is it still available? Who makes and/or distributes it? Thanks!

Occupation

Checkwiter Ink ........................lensometer pins not holding ink

Ruth said:
    [The old check writer ink which thick and oily applied on the roller will not dry and work nearly forever, and is easily wiped off the lens.

Ruth said: Chris,

Please advise about "the old check writer ink". Is it still available? Who makes and/or distributes it? Thanks!

Ruth,
    I did a little checking and found the following information. I actually must have bought the last tubes over 20 years ago and still have enough for another 20 in the 2 little tubes.

WESCOTT COMPANY

Please call Cliff at 1(800)766-1066, (757)622-5327, fax:(757)622-6233
    or e-mail to: wescott@infionline.net
    with make and model for pricing and availability

Paymaster Checkwriter Ink (Blue & Red Tubes-Sold as Set) INK7191

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ordered the proper pad and ink for my Tapcon Lensometer and it made a world of difference!!!

:bbg:

watevah
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am having poor results with my B&L lensometer in terms of it not dotting up very well (if at all).

What type/brand of ink should I be buying? Right now, I'm using just regular, stationary-store bought permanent stamp ink, which dries very easily, prevents the roller pin from being easily turned, and gums up the pins so much that they get stuck and don't spring back easily (and sometimes not at all). Today, I had to use methyl hydrate to clean out all the pins and ink well.

Any suggestions? I'd like a specific brand name/model # if possible.

Thanks for any any advice you guys can give me!

Edit: Years ago, at another optical I worked at, we had special, red-colored lensometer ink that worked very well in our Topcon lensometer. Does anyone know the name of this type of ink? Will it work well in a B&L lensometer? The Topcon had a sponge-based inkwell vs. the roller pin-based inkwell that the B&L model uses...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by watevah
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am having poor results with my B&L lensometer in terms of it not dotting up very well (if at all).

What type/brand of ink should I be buying? Right now, I'm using just regular, stationary-store bought permanent stamp ink, which dries very easily, prevents the roller pin from being easily turned, and gums up the pins so much that they get stuck and don't spring back easily (and sometimes not at all). Today, I had to use methyl hydrate to clean out all the pins and ink well.

Any suggestions? I'd like a specific brand name/model # if possible.

Thanks for any any advice you guys can give me!

Edit: Years ago, at another optical I worked at, we had special, red-colored lensometer ink that worked very well in our Topcon lensometer. Does anyone know the name of this type of ink? Will it work well in a B&L lensometer? The Topcon had a sponge-based inkwell vs. the roller pin-based inkwell that the B&L model uses...
    That red ink will be supreemly better than "stationary store" ink, which must be a right pain, all the way through the system. Speak to your local lens lab, they will be able to order you some, or look in the HILCO catalogue

Occupation

Thumbs up Its all there.................

Quote Originally Posted by watevah
    Just scroll back on this thread...........there is the ink, the supplier and his phone numbers all there for the taking.

watevah
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    That red ink will be supreemly better than "stationary store" ink, which must be a right pain, all the way through the system. Speak to your local lens lab, they will be able to order you some, or look in the HILCO catalogue
    Thanks! I will ask our local lens lab or order through Hilco.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Just scroll back on this thread...........there is the ink, the supplier and his phone numbers all there for the taking.
    Sorry. When you said, "I actually must have bought the last tubes over 20 years ago...," I thought you meant you bought the last remaining tubes so i assumed the inks were no longer avaiable. That, plus the info is 2.5 years old and there is a sad emoticon in the company's fax number so I just skipped it...

Edit: Will either the red ink or the checkwriter ink perform well with Nikon's ICE or Essilor's Alize coatings?
    Last edited by watevah; 02-12-2006 at 05:26 AM.

Occupation

Oily Ink...................

Oily inks are used in offset printing............and esily available from ink and printing suppliy companies.

The oily ink used in a B&L lenmsometer works superbly as it never dries out and a little tube can last you for years. You can get them in many colors.

Dont forget that many components used in the optical industry have often been used in other industries for years untril they pop up in the optical.

watevah
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Oily inks are used in offset printing............and esily available from ink and printing suppliy companies.

The oily ink used in a B&L lenmsometer works superbly as it never dries out and a little tube can last you for years. You can get them in many colors.

Dont forget that many components used in the optical industry have often been used in other industries for years untril they pop up in the optical.
    Thanks, Chris! If for some reason the red ink from the local lab or Hilco doesn't work out, I'll definitely try the checkwriter ink.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Parts for B&L 70 vertometer

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    BTW
    Does anybody knows if they still make the pins for B@L 70?
    I use a pen springs to put inside them. Works well.
    I am about to try these guys for old parts. I like my old B&L 70 but it has steel marking pins which I do not trust my staff with. These guys have some delrin pins which I am going to order.

http://www.themachineryworks.com

http://www.themachineryworks.com/cat...tion=ae&ID=103

Occupation

Blue Jumper Actually any non drying oily base will work fine for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by watevah View Post

Thanks, Chris! If for some reason the red ink from the local lab or Hilco doesn't work out, I'll definitely try the checkwriter ink.

Actually any non drying oily base will work fine for this application.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by BIDEEOD View Post

I am about to try these guys for old parts. I like my old B&L 70 but it has steel marking pins which I do not trust my staff with. These guys have some delrin pins which I am going to order.

http://www.themachineryworks.com

http://www.themachineryworks.com/cat...<br /> <br />

I just realized that I have no listings for these guts that repair instruments on my website listing so I started one with the above name and address at http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm, If anybody has some others please let me have them to put them on the list.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was asked on a test what would cause incorrect pin alignment? incorrect PD measurement, incorrect B measurement, debris in the housing or scratched lens stop? I was going with incorrect PD measurement.
    what is the best answer

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had this issue too. I swtiched to an oil based ink from a water based one. did the trick

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by loisrap View Post
    I was asked on a test what would cause incorrect pin alignment? incorrect PD measurement, incorrect B measurement, debris in the housing or scratched lens stop? I was going with incorrect PD measurement.
    what is the best answer
    Were they asking what would cause incorrect pin alignment? Or what error would be created by incorrect pin alignment? Two different questions.

Thread Information