Thread: Bespoke or custom-size titanium/steel frames (for <49mm rectangular frames)?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Bespoke or custom-size titanium/steel frames (for <49mm rectangular frames)?

Has anyone encountered a vendor able to manufacture bespoke titanium or steel frames, or at least adjust the width and height to any reasonable dimension?

A male patient wants rectangular frames in a modern style - think Orgreen, Dutz, Theo, Bevel, Prodesign - in roughly 46-48 mm lens width. So far the only option I've found is Orgreen Everest, which is 48: https://orgreenoptics.com/product/everest-783/ . While they may work, I'd prefer to give the patient more than one good choice.

This frame is the only design-forward rectangular metal one I've found in the 46-48 range except kids frames with short temples. Many vendors offer 46-48 round or oval (and much narrower), so it's not a practical concern, simply that everything rectangular seems to be >50 and mostly >52.

I think he'd consider bespoke if the option existed, which is why I'm posting. Tom Davies only has a few metal frames and although one fits the bill (TD 497), apparently they can't actually modify it more than a few millimeters -- "bespoke" just means 2-3mm size adjustments and color choices. They don't seem to offer truly custom frames, at least metal. Acetate may be another story. If anyone has had TD manufacture a fully custom metal frame, please say so (we don't sell TD, but I contacted a friend who does and we both found it hard to get specifics from the vendor).

SoÂ… has anyone found a vendor able to at least customize the dimensions of design-forward metal frames, if not make custom frames? I assume there would be a tooling investment, potentially a significant one.

(Manufacturers, if you're reading: the market for design-forward 45-49 mm rectangular frames is unserved. After thinking about this request, I believe more of my patients would choose them if some existed that we could stock.)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's absolutely true that smaller rectangular men's frames are hard as hell to find. I used to sell a semi-rimless 49mm Carrera in many of those cases, but Safilo discontinued the frame a year or so ago. There are a couple Chesterfields and Adenscos in the upper part of that size range, but I really doubt he'd be interested in such plain frames.

Can you pivot him into a drill mount? Silhouette answers all of his size, shape, and material needs.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    But the customer wants something stylish...

You could try Marcus marienfield in Switzerland. He does everything bespoke I believe. And makes excellent quality. But you are talking around $2000 retail

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Can you pivot him into a drill mount? Silhouette answers all of his size, shape, and material needs.
    Thank you for trying to help here. No luck on rimless - aside from style preference, his rx looks better with a full rim.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    You could try Marcus marienfield in Switzerland. He does everything bespoke I believe. And makes excellent quality. But you are talking around $2000 retail
    Thanks! At least from the Web site, this may be an option.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    He's a good guy to deal with, and his frames are really beautifully made. He uses block titanium in the metal frames. I think there is a slightly less expensive range that he does too but not sure if those are bespoke.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tom Davies can absolutely do any size or shape bespoke titanium, I've done them. They have a more restricted tier of modification MTO "made to order" which is what you're describing, but their true bespoke offers very wide flexibility. I don't know if they would be up to offering a one-off job, they did require some in-office frame design and software training before opening my account.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These are not bespoke, but a couple of options that may be worth considering:
    NW77th has some stainless-steel options in your size range: Dragonstooth, Sven, Tony, and Beard of Zeus all have eye sizes 48 or less.
    Bevel has some great small-size options for men, though more in acetate than titanium. Models Ted and Morse are titanium and both a 50-eye but seem to fit a bit smaller and may be of interest to your client.
    ic!Berlin's Hans-Peter may work.
    Mykita's Claude would be a good option too.

Thread Information